Sign in to follow this  
Guest JDH

Please write an email to Mayor Daley!!!!

Please express your sentiments regarding the closure and destruction of Meigs Field, contact Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley at mayordaley@cityofchicago.org or Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich at governor@state.il.us.lets see how many emails we can send to him... If you send him one, just leave a short post.Tadd Garcia

I sent:"So, you descend upon Meigs Field in the dead of night, to perpetrate a deliberate act of sabotage, destruction of public property on a grand scale. All protected by armed men.Just who, pray tell, is the terrorist?"Hope this helps.ChasW

Guest RiddlePilot

"Tasteless Mr. Daley, tasteless. What you have done is truely unbelieveable not only to the general public, but to the aviation community. You have caused an unpresedented level of outrage. Now every single politician in this country of freedom will assume that he is allowed to act in the same rediculous manner which you have. You evidentally did not excel in physics, for if you had even a slight understanding, it would be known that a 2000 pound light aircraft traveling at 100 knots is absolutley no threat to the structural integrity of your skyline. You may say that its because the people feel threatened when an aircraft flies over. Well I can promise you this... those that loved the airport, both for its beauty and its practicality, will now feel more threatened by your unpredictable antics than the peaceful buzz of an aircraft on a beautiful summer day. We will win this battle, you can count on it."

Mr. Daley,Today I learned that you tore up Meigs Feild during the night, without telling anyone, and with armed police blocking access to the feild. I beleive this is a dispicable act on your part. In December of 2002, you agreed with the former govenor to keep Meigs open until 2026. If anything Meigs should of grown larger. It provided emergency services a central staging area, and this act has emotionally hurt thousands, if not millions of people around the globe. It may well of been one of the worlds most famous GA airports. It was less of a terrorist threat than that of O'Hare or Midway. I see you as a criminal of the people, if I was a citizen of Chicago, I would never vote for you. Good day sir.Erik Haaland

I wrote an email today myself. Don't remember the exact words, but I said that he was a terrible leader of people. Bob Bernstein

Guest skylanepilot

Wrote the following to both the Mayor and the Governor's office ...I am writing to express my shock and outrage at Mayor Richard Daley's closure of Chicago's Meigs Field General Aviation airport.At a time when our country is at war and concerns for personal security run high, to draw upon those fears to advance a personal and political agenda is outrageous and reprehensible. At a time when the aviation industry is on the ropes and many aviation-related businesses are struggling to survive, to close a vital piece of our transportation infrastructure is unconscionable.Further, to commit this act of sabotage in the middle of the night without notification to businesses or tenants of the airport - or even to the FAA - demonstrates clearly that Mayor Daley knew he was wrong.While our national focus is justifiably engaged elsewhere, this action cannot - and will not - go unchallenged. While I am not a voter in the State of Illinois or the City of Chicago, I can and will choose to vote with my wallet. Until such time as Meigs Field is restored to full operation, it is my intention to boycott the City of Chicago, the State of Illinois as well as businesses and services based in Chicago. I will advise my business colleagues, friends and associates to do the same. It is my further intention to begin a national campaign to enlist pilots, aircraft owners and aviation enthusiasts throughout the country to do the same.Mayor Daley - with the support of the Governor's office - has elected to turn his back on the aviation community. If Mayor Daley does not wish to engage with the aviation community, he may just find that his wish will come true.

Guest JDH

Wow, that's the best one I have seen! A really good letter skylanepilot, just a pity he will just sneer at it as he clearly has done to all Chicago residents.

Guest kyle

Mayor Daley,Quick questions, sir. you state you tore up Meigs because you are concerned for the people of Chicago with Homeland Security and this "risk" that is so close to your downtown.Isn't Midway too close?Isn't O'Hare too close?Don't those really big airplanes fly to both of those airports?Don't they fly faster then the little guys at Meigs?Your city seems to be at more risk with those large airliners flying overhead with the same risks in mind that you claim Meigs might cause you and your population. In fact, I bet you, if you were to sit down and figure out how long one of those big guys would take to veer off track fly to the center of your city - from any of their multiple approach/departure paths - you would find they can get their faster then a little Cessna or Beechcraft takes to start up, take-off and pick a target who is based at Meigs. I could only think too that one of those big airplanes would cause more damage, don't you think?With your irrational thinking, you have taken a sad opportunity to move your own political agenda forward.

Why don't they shut Washington National down too? It's a MUCH bigger threat to "national security" then Meigs is. Too much is changing in the name of "national security", and these politicians are getting away with it by using that as a reason. You'll never convince me this is a democracy anymore.Don

Guest JDH

How about;"Mayor Daley,London City Airport. Discuss.Yours etc."