Sign in to follow this  
boris4356

Bfg Geforce Gtx 260 Oc, Oc2, Ocx Maxcore

I am shopping around for a new video card, and was wondering if anyone has one of these new GTX 260 with 216 stream processors, and how it performs in FSX. I am also wondering if the different clockspeeds between the OC, OC2, And OCX would make any difference as to which one to get? I was considering an ATI 4870, as I have been a long time supporter of ATI, but from what I have seen here, NVIDIA seems to outperform ATI in FSX, and I think it is time to change brands. My HD3870 chokes badly in clouds.Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!Thanks,Bill

I am shopping around for a new video card, and was wondering if anyone has one of these new GTX 260 with 216 stream processors, and how it performs in FSX. I am also wondering if the different clockspeeds between the OC, OC2, And OCX would make any difference as to which one to get? I was considering an ATI 4870, as I have been a long time supporter of ATI, but from what I have seen here, NVIDIA seems to outperform ATI in FSX, and I think it is time to change brands. My HD3870 chokes badly in clouds.Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!Thanks,Bill
Bill,before you switch graphics cards, you may want to give the latest ATi Catalyst drivers a shot if you haven't already done so. Several users on these forums are reporting improved performance in FSX, particularly in clouds. If you do decide to upgrade, any GTX 260 card on the market today (or the new versions due out next month) will handle anything FSX can throw at them. Get the cheapest one you can find from a major brand such as XFX, EVGA, or BFG and don't think twice.Regards,Max

Bill,before you switch graphics cards, you may want to give the latest ATi Catalyst drivers a shot if you haven't already done so. Several users on these forums are reporting improved performance in FSX, particularly in clouds. If you do decide to upgrade, any GTX 260 card on the market today (or the new versions due out next month) will handle anything FSX can throw at them. Get the cheapest one you can find from a major brand such as XFX, EVGA, or BFG and don't think twice.Regards,Max
Thanks for the reply Max! I do have the latest Catalyst drivers, but didn't notice a significant improvement.What new cards are due out next month?Bill

Thanks for the reply Max! I do have the latest Catalyst drivers, but didn't notice a significant improvement.What new cards are due out next month?Bill
Just a revised version of the GTX 260 based on newer, smaller chips and a more efficient PCB. No performance improvements or new features though, just lower power consumption and heat output. Basically the new cards will be cheaper to produce. The current 260's have razor-thin margins for NV's AIB partners, a situation they're not terribly happy with so NV went back to the drawing board and redesigned the chips and the boards so the partners can make more money off them.

Just a revised version of the GTX 260 based on newer, smaller chips and a more efficient PCB. No performance improvements or new features though, just lower power consumption and heat output. Basically the new cards will be cheaper to produce. The current 260's have razor-thin margins for NV's AIB partners, a situation they're not terribly happy with so NV went back to the drawing board and redesigned the chips and the boards so the partners can make more money off them.
Thanks Max. Good to know. Maybe I'll wait a while and watch the prices. Maybe they will drop a bit in the new year.Bill

Wonder what the GTX 280 OC2 would do for FS9? Was thinking of giving it a try to see if it helps. Anyone know if this card can help with texture loading?

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Wonder what the GTX 280 OC2 would do for FS9? Was thinking of giving it a try to see if it helps. Anyone know if this card can help with texture loading?
Pretty sure that would be overkill for FS9. I think anything over a 8800GT is overkill for FS9, unless you're running higher resolutions like 1900x1200 or whatever it is

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Am currently running 1900x1200x32. Have stutter issues around the big fields (JFK etc.). Wonder if this card would help with that?

Regards,

Joe Esposito

I'd say no, but I'm assuming you're running FSX.Do you have your CPU overclocked? I figured you would with that extreme edition. Anyway, JFK is probably one of the busiest areas in FSX, in terms of degraded performance hehe. So it's not uncommon to see low FPS or stutters in the NYC area.However, I just realized your sig said 79xx series. Yeah, you might get some relief with a 8xxx or 9xxx series card, or even the GTX series...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Am running FS9. Was thinking with that much muscle (in the vid card) it just might make a difference.

Regards,

Joe Esposito