Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alphahawk3

I7 920 Observations

Guest Alphahawk3

Got my system built and am working with it. Please forgive spelling...it is 3:30 am here and I have been at this way too long but I have a strange problem. My system is the i7 920...Asus P6 Deluxe....6gig tri channel ram 1600...two 500 gig hdd...one dedicated to FSX.....9600GT card....now the weakest part of this system. Love this CPU. It is not the end all but it does great things. I have only attempted a liitle oc but went back to normal. I got it to run stable at 3.2 ghz for a little while. My firts attempt to OC in 10 years and really don't know what to set the voltages to in the very few tweaks you have to do to this board. Any help would be appreicated. Just fooling around with that a little. One observation is when I set FPS to unlimited there are times that it will be going along at 60 FPS and start jumping to 160 or 260 and back down to 60 FPS very quickly. When it does that it looks like stop and go. If I set FPS to a fixed number it stays there smooth...ie...such as 30 FPs at YMLL and all is well. Scenery is sharp and clear when FPS is locked but at unlimited I get such huge swings you can't fly....it only happnes when it decides to. I have thought it was in rural settings....then city....but it will do it anywhere when it starts....but lock the FPS and it stops. I have never seen or heard of that before. FPS going over 200 only for a brief second is strange and then just as fast back down to 60 and back up....it drives one crazy. Of course I am glad I can fly at 30 of the few places I have tried so far....even in big cities...have not tried New York, Tokyo, or London though. And if Nick is reading....and I hope he is.... cause I hope he gives me some input...I am just using the frame rate to compare from my old P4 system. Old system sitting on ground in Cessna 172 from Flight1 at Orbx YMML was 7 FPS...new system locked at 30....I get constant 30 and all is clear and smooth. Have much more testing to do with this. Another thing when landing just before touch down I get what I call a stutter....but it is not really that....the view changes....almost like you would have zoomed in a little but it is not smooth. All of this take place in less than a second or two but is annoying...and I know that could be many things. At the start of this post I commented on core use...well on further testing it will use cores more than I realized. With task manager open and watching the flight and slewing around or just let it fly I have seen cpu go from 25% to 100% and everywhere in between....but a lot of times it will just go along using only 25% that being full use of the first core. I have GEX...FEX...FTX....XGraphics...and a few pay ware GA aircraft. On my old P4 I could not even use my SR22. This CPU eats it for lunch! Happy about that. Now I have to read all the docs to learn the avionics on that thing....LOL I do realize my memory is not being used to the full extent of it's bandwidth. I bought that so I would not have to buy again for a year down the road when and if I get new CPU......or when and if I oc. I have to do more reading on the oc for this chip and board. Even though I let it burn in for 4 hours with no fails I was not comfortable with the voltage settigs and reset everything. My temp has never gone higher than 61c even when I oc to the 3.2ghz. Would love to see what the 965 would do. This was the way to go for me. I was going to get new system anyway. While this ws a huge step forward for me it does make you realize that FSX is still the king over the CPU. I can't speak fr the 940 or 965, or any other chip other than the P4 but as Nick said in an earlier post.....and I am paraphrasing....I don't want to make this bigger than what it is but it is a huge leap. Any thoughts....sure do love this m/b....P6 Deluxe.....all went well right out of package. Do wish this chip would make more use of all four cores though. If someone has the specs to oc this board to just 3.2 would appreciate your input. Regards, Randy

Guest Nick_N

Get a proper heatsink for the CPU and watch:http://www.linustechtips.com/how-to/ncix-t...rclocking-guideVery basic guide about clockingAnd I wish to make something perfectly clear about FSX design.. the hi/low jitter you are seeing is the nature of the animal.. its normal with this rendering engine and its based on the scenery and autogen slidwer settings, and, the area you are flying.In FSX LOWER sliders DO NOT EQUATE to BETTER PERF .. its all about finding the balance of settings that establish the correct priority for your installed hardwareSet VSYNC to FORCE ON or ON which will lock frames so they will not exceed the monitors refresh rate and then get use to setting frame lock to 30 in rural and moving that to unlimited in very heavy urban or large scenery areas during flight.That will correct the issue you are seeing and your flights should smoothe out nicely