Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Problems Defragging My Fsx Drive

Hi GuysI seem to have a problem defragging my Flightsim drive after a fresh FSX install.... I have installed FSX and all addons to a separate HDD (F:)When I try to defrag this drive, there

Do you have a page file on the partition in question? That would cause the result you describe. Go to your system properties in the control panel and choose advanced system settings. From there click on the Advanced tab and choose settings in the performance section. Go to the Advanced tab and select change under virtual memory. Here you can view your page file settings including location(s) and size(s). You'll want to uncheck the box at the top of the window "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" so you can change the settings, if necessary. If there is a page file on the partition in question, simply select it in the list and choose "no page file" below that, then click set. Now you can defrag that partition. If you still can't defrag, the only other reason would be if there are other system files which are in use and cannot be moved. There's nothing you can do about this, short of booting into another operating system on another partition and using its defrag program. Regards,Max

Guest D17S

That's likely your metadata (data about data). More specifically, your system restore points. Unless you deleted the data, they are still there. I use Vista Manager to delete that massive, middle-of-the-disk data block once in a while (then immediately create a fresh restore point). If the system's stable, I really don't need 52 system restore points. Just one'll do, thanks. I use ithe system restore function set at a 1meg max-dataset limit. Why not use it? There's simply no reason not to. Ya just gotta control it. There are command-line ways to delete, then limit system restore's size. Google's your friend. BTW, this is not effecting your FS defrag. If you have the HD room, this restore-point data block isn't hurting anything. It's just annoying to look at in the derfag screen (as least to me!)

It's a no to both of the above.....The disk does not have a page file. Also, System Restore and Vol Shadow Copy are turned off, Thus, all system restore data etc should be removed.Also, it didn't happen on my last FSX installation. The only difference between this install and the last, is that i now have REX installed...... I wonder....????

Guest Nick_N
It's a no to both of the above.....The disk does not have a page file. Also, System Restore and Vol Shadow Copy are turned off, Thus, all system restore data etc should be removed.Also, it didn't happen on my last FSX installation. The only difference between this install and the last, is that i now have REX installed...... I wonder....????
Open O&O, run the analysis on the drive, Click on one of the squares the locked area in the O&O GUI window and in the popup that appears see what the data blocks say.. what is O&O calling thatand what color is it... red?

Open O&O, run the analysis on the drive, Click on one of the squares the locked area in the O&O GUI window and in the popup that appears see what the data blocks say.. what is O&O calling thatand what color is it... red?
Hi NickYes, it's red, and it's all maked as 'System Volume Information'. BUT, so is the large section of blue defragged data before and beyond it. Make sense?I remember this comming up once before in one your 'list' discussions, but I can't find it. And, as i recall, it was also Vista.

Just noticed..... I have EXACTLY the same problem with my system (Vista) disk. Some, but not all of the System Volume Inf is marked red and will not move or defrag.

Just noticed..... I have EXACTLY the same problem with my system (Vista) disk. Some, but not all of the System Volume Inf is marked red and will not move or defrag.
Dougal,As was previously pointed out to you, those files, System Volume Information, are made by System Restore those are the files that contain the Restore information. Those files by design are protected and you cannot manipulate them. However, if you are sure that you have System Restore disabled on all of your drives, you can take ownership of the files and delete them.

Also take note that this block of files, judging by your screenshot, is NOT at all affecting performance on your drive. Although the fragmentation percentage is high, none of it is containing actual MSFS files, and you have all your MSFS files sorted to the front of the drive. Your flightsim installation will run at peak efficiency right now - regardless of those system files.If System Restore is turned off, use the Disk Cleanup utility to remove older and unused restore points. Should that not remove them, you could use the ownership/manual delete to do it, however I'd use some caution with that - "just because". Prior to any manual deletions, you may wish to perform a defragmentation run while in SAFE MODE. Press F8 just as Windows itself starts to boot up, and enter into safe mode. Then run your defrag. Safe mode doesn't lock down nearly as many files when it is being used - just the bare minimums. It may in fact keep those files on your flightsim drive unlocked, ready for manipulation by your defragger. While in safe mode, take a defrag run of your boot drive too - you might as well, as it too will have far fewer locked files. Note that defrags might take longer in safe mode due to the full compliment of drivers not being loaded. Good luck!-Greg

Dougal,As was previously pointed out to you, those files, System Volume Information, are made by System Restore those are the files that contain the Restore information. Those files by design are protected and you cannot manipulate them. However, if you are sure that you have System Restore disabled on all of your drives, you can take ownership of the files and delete them.
Just a thought, wouldn't the OP be able to defrag such data by performing an offline defrag? I know I can do it with PerfectDisk and, indeed, do so routinely. I do use System Restore but restrict it to 2% (437MB) of my 20GB system partition. This equates to 5-6 Restore Points which is plenty for my purposes.I am still on XP Home so perhaps Vista throws more obstacles in your way.Mike

So why then has this NEVER happend before? I reinstall Windows and ALL my other software about once every 3 months ( because i do! ). Not once have I ever come accross this before.

SORTED!Many thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't like the idea of an 'offline defrag', as this is an OEM edition of Windows, and SP1 was not 'slipstreamed', just installed over the top. The offline defrag has caused problems with that before.I ran the 'Disk Cleanup' as suggested. That did the job just fine. Thanaks!

Guest ziporama
SORTED!Many thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't like the idea of an 'offline defrag', as this is an OEM edition of Windows, and SP1 was not 'slipstreamed', just installed over the top. The offline defrag has caused problems with that before.I ran the 'Disk Cleanup' as suggested. That did the job just fine. Thanaks!
One way to defragment even locked files is to do a boot time defragmentation. Most utilities allow this. The way it works is the programs replace the regular book sequence to load a small shell that runs the defragment program before the main O/S loads, therefore there are no locked files. This also allows for the page file and any other protected operating system files to be either moved or defragmented, something that cannot happen when the O/S itself is running.Cheers,Etienne

One way to defragment even locked files is to do a boot time defragmentation. Most utilities allow this. The way it works is the programs replace the regular book sequence to load a small shell that runs the defragment program before the main O/S loads, therefore there are no locked files. This also allows for the page file and any other protected operating system files to be either moved or defragmented, something that cannot happen when the O/S itself is running.Cheers,Etienne
Thanks. I believe that's what was refered to above as the 'offline defrag'