Sign in to follow this  
rooster hancock 2003

Spot View Question Anyone

Hi AllI hope I can explain this ok.When you're in spot view looking directly at either side of the aircraft, many of them are not central within the screen area. A good example of what I mean is the maam sim DC3, (but it could be any aircraft). In this case looking from the port side the tail is nicely over to the right side of the screen and the nose is about just left of centre screen. This means you are restricted bringing the aircraft, (all of it not part), in any closer for a more detailed view while flying. The same applies of course viewing from the starboard side only then the tail would be tucked over to the left side of the screen. So the question is this. Is there a way of centralising the aircraft in the spot view window? Phew, sorry for being long winded.Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated as always.Best regardsMalcolm Hancock (Rooster)

Malcolm Hancock

Hi Malcolm,What you describe is a limitation of FS.You might want to check out Active Camera, I think it will do what you want. It is payware, and comes with a free demo that works within 30 miles of KSEA.Here is a link - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=36850Hope this helps.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Malcolm,I believe the central point (reference datum?) is determined within the 3D model (someone please correct me if I am wrong) and spot view is centered on that.Anyway, with the help of FSRecorder by Matthias Neusinger (recorder_1-32.zip), you can can set up your own spot views for each aircraft and save them. It takes a bit of getting used to the controls to rotate and move around, but possibilities are virtually endless.While I am here... I also make tower views for major airports and when I am in range on final approach, I switch to this tower view briefly, which loads all the textures of the airport, thus eliminating stuttering due to heavy texture loading on short finals and landing.Regards,JureEDIT: I just saw N60JBravo's reply: Active Camera will not re-center the aircraft in spot view, but it's a great tool, can't live without it. :(

I believe the central point (reference datum?) is determined within the 3D model
FYI, per the Aircraft Container SDK, "Flight Simulator center point, which is on the centerline,

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest Tingoose

" . . While I am here... I also make tower views for major airports and when I am in range on final approach, I switch to this tower view briefly, which loads all the textures of the airport, thus eliminating stuttering due to heavy texture loading on short finals and landing. . . . " Regards,JureNice tip Jure. That had never occurred to me. Thanks. :( Tingoose

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.Tingoose, this tower view you speak of, is it easy to set up for an old duffer like me and if so any chance of a simple tutorial as I often get stutters on finals/landing.Many thanks for your help.Rooster

Malcolm Hancock

Rooster,yea, quite easy to set up. When you install the fsrecorder module, start FS, go to your destination airport and set your aircraft close to the treshold of the landing runway. Orient your aircraft so you can nicely see the airport. Press SHIFT + Z to display the coordinates and write them down. Also write the altitude. Then:Choose menu Recorder/Advanced tower views/New tower viewChoose menu Recorder/Advanced tower views/Edit tower view (be sure this new view has a tick mark next to it) Now enter the coordinates, altitude and zoom, write in the name for this tower view, for example: EDDF 07 for the Frankfurt rwy 7 and put a tick mark into "Manual panning". Press OK once you're donePress SHIFT +Z until you are in this new tower view. Now use the hat switch on your joystick to orient the view so the airport is in view. If you are not satisfied with the view, edit it again OR, alternatively, use the keys to move the view around: SHIFT + ENTER and SHIFT + BACKSPACE to move the view up and down CTRL + ENTER and CTRL + BACKSPACE to move the view backwards and forwards SHIFT + CTRL + ENTER and SHIFT + CTRL + BACKSPACE to move the view sideways.Once satisfied, choose menu Recorder/Advanced tower views/Save tower views, choose a name and you're done.So, when you are on approach to this airport, choose menu Recorder/Advanced tower views/<your tower view name> , then press S until you are in tower view for this airport. Wait for a few seconds for everything to load up, press S again to get back to the pit and land. How far from the runway should you choose this tower view? That's a bit of a trial and error matter, but you'll get the hang of it. Don't forget to load your tower view at the beginning of each flight. The Recorder sort of remembers what was loaded last, but it doesn't hurt to check before the flight. Is all this worth it? It is for heavy duty airports. I found out that if I choose a tower view as I have described at the right distance, I get much smoother landings. Of course, you need to be well established and stable before you go to tower view or else your aircraft will wander off course. It is not perfect, but it works. :)EDIT: you can switch between different recorder spot or tower views with CTRL + SHIFT + + (main kbd) and CTRL + SHIFT + - (main kbd), but I do not recommend this method for the Tower views, because (obviously) if you switch to a tower view thousands of miles away and not really relevant for your situation, all texture loading will be done for no reason. Just go through the menu when choosing the tower view.As for Spots views, I have 5 or 6 for each aircraft and it is very convenient and easy to switch between them with the keys described above.Regards,Jure

Guest Sterk
Of course, you need to be well established and stable before you go to tower view or else your aircraft will wander off course.
Hmm,are you doing all this during actual flight and not during recording playback?Or setting custom views is impossible during playback?

This is done before flight. Setting up custom tower views, I mean. When you are flying the approach you just select one of the saved tower views for a few seconds. As I said, you can have as many tower views as you wish, saved in a file that can be loaded prior to flight (FSRecorder will load the last one used in any case).Regards,Jure