Sign in to follow this  
Opa

Use Of Active Sky

I just gave myself an early Christmas present by purchasing Active Sky which has been so highly recommended in these forums.However I am unsure just how to make the best use of the program.Would someone who regularily uses it please provide a 1, 2, 3 outline of how you use the many options and what (if anything) I should avoid doing?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Opa,Glad we can do something back.I am using AS for years now. In fact I was one of its beta testers, thanks Damian!And I must say, this is one of the best addons for FS. I am using the settings with some minor changes as specified here:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=192535But wait a minute... you have purchased AS very recently ? Read this also:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=235659Regards and thank you for all these "Tips and Tricks" and a lot of other stuff,Hugo

I just gave myself an early Christmas present by purchasing Active Sky which has been so highly recommended in these forums.However I am unsure just how to make the best use of the program.Would someone who regularily uses it please provide a 1, 2, 3 outline of how you use the many options and what (if anything) I should avoid doing?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dave here is what I use (I'm not an expert) but I get pretty good results that I am happy with at least. Keep in mind I also have a reg copy of FSUIPC and really only use ASV6 in FS9.I have one question, what the heck took you so long!?!?! :( On a side note. I do love the fact that we can now have avitars and user pics, it's neat to put faces to the names we have dealt with for so many years.....

Dave here is what I use (I'm not an expert) but I get pretty good results that I am happy with at least. Keep in mind I also have a reg copy of FSUIPC and really only use ASV6 in FS9.I have one question, what the heck took you so long!?!?! :( On a side note. I do love the fact that we can now have avitars and user pics, it's neat to put faces to the names we have dealt with for so many years.....
Well I guess "taking so long" has something to do with "teaching old dogs new tricks".........lolI too enjoy seeing pixs of the posters - mine was taken a few years ago so I "look" much wiser now !I assume any options I make in AC are done prior to starting FS2004 (which is all I use also - and I have a reg copy of FSUIPC.Do I need to turn any weather related items off in FS2004 ? That question may have already been answered in another post but I have not digested all this yet.Thanks for the advice guys.

Do I need to turn any weather related items off in FS2004 ?
When you load the situation you want to fly, just make sure you choose the CLEAR SKY weather theme.And also check that your default weather download rate is turned down to zero.When you're ready at your airport, minimize FS9 (unless you're using the windowed mode) and launch ActiveSky.After it says it's ready and the traffic is reloaded, you can go back to your FS window.That's at least how I do it. :)Best regards,Rafal

When you load the situation you want to fly, just make sure you choose the CLEAR SKY weather theme.And also check that your default weather download rate is turned down to zero.
I believe that once turned on, AS automatically clears weather and disables all FS9's own wx functions so none of the above is required.

Guest Jeffhew

Hi David,My settings look like this. I don't use online weather at this time of year in New England so, that's why that option isn't checked. I have a ton of weather files stored. I also use GEPro so if you don't use that program, you can leave the Enable GEPro submit box unchecked.You have to use the "user weather" setting in FS and move the change rate slider to none. . I'll check my FSUIPC setting when I get into the sim later but, I think, I have all of those weather options turned off. Before you start up FS, start up ActiveSky. You have to do it this way so that AS can load the right textures at FS startup. I've been using this for years so give me shout if you need anymore help. Like another poster said, It's nice to help those who've helped us so much over the years.BTW, Norwood is coming along. You were right about John, he's great to work with.Best Regards,Jeff*EDIT* My FSUIPC settings don't have too many options checked. I have wind smoothing set to 5 degrees or knots every second. Under visibility, I have vis smoothing set to 10% every 2 sec. I don't have anything checked under clouds.

Also concerning AS6 do you leave this program and GE Pro 'running' parallel to FS 2004 or do you exit these programs after they load their data into FS2004. Tom

Hi Tom,GP Pro can be shut down, because once FS is started, only Cirrus textures can be changed.Active Sky must be kept running so that you can get data and updates into FS.Thanks!