Sign in to follow this  

A sad day indeed

Guest Tim W

>>I can't beleive it. How many big citys have the benefit of a beautiful airport right in their front yard. Well, no more Mr mayor and don't think people will soon forget. <

Guest Lindy

I'm starting to wonder if this incident actually took place. Has anyone found any independent confirmation?I haven't heard a word about it breathed on TV or in the newspapers, and it should definitely be considered news.If Daley actually did this to Meigs, he should be thrown out of office!! (Can you impeach a Mayor??) I don't care WHAT excuse/reason was given, elected officials are NOT supposed to go sneaking around at night demolishing public property.-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Guest cw1011

Yes, it really happened. Go to the Friends of Meigs website and click on the airport cams. They carved several big Xs in the runway. I'm actually a dissenter in this argument. I think that the people of chicago are much better served by a park than an airport at this facility. There is no commercial service into Miegs that I am aware of - so the only users are airplane owners and corporate executives. Seems like a waste of lakefront that could be enjoyed by millions of Chicago residents.

>There is no commercial service >into Miegs that I am aware of - so the only users are >airplane owners and corporate executives. Seems like a >waste of lakefront that could be enjoyed by millions of >Chicago residents. Over the last year there were nearly 35,000 flights in/out of Meigs Field, of which nearly 3,000 were rescue aircraft and medivac flights.In addition, Meigs hosted the "Young Eagles" program, which gave thousands of Chicago youngsters free rides each year, most of whom are from impoverished areas of the city, and will likely never have an opportunity to fly again.

Guest Lindy

Yes, after a little more research I did learn that this act did occur.I understand your position, but the use of the property isn't really the issue here IMO. Rather it's the WAY the Mayor chose to simply go in without any advance notice to anyone and under cover of darkness rip up a runway.This arrogance on the part of elected officials seems to be the "thing to do" these days. Right here in Va. Beach the citizens have voted time and time again NOT to build another high rise hotel at our oceanfront. Rather we (the citizens) want that specific piece of property developed for a park. (Sound familiar?) This particular piece of ground is the ONLY undeveloped (read: no high rise hotel) space along the entire Va. Beach Oceanfront coastline. Our City Council however gave developers the okay to build the tallest high rise, luxury hotel (for the tourists) yet.What happened to "government OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people"? -Lindy :-wave

Guest SoarPics

"What happened to "government OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people"? "Not in Chicago...

Guest MikeEppright

You are entitled to your desenting opinion-one of the cherished priveledges we are drawing a line in the sand across the world to protect. However:What would the good mayor of Chicago think if the businesses that use Meigs for their company aircraft layed off ALL their employees and took up business in another city. Like it or not, efficient timely access to ones business interests is what makes the world go around. Another opinion is that Microsoft should leave Meigs in 2004 but make another city other than Chicago the default startup. FS2004 deserves to be released with something more than a symbol of corruption and gestapo tactics as a centerpiece!

>I'm starting to wonder if this incident actually took place. > Has anyone found any independent confirmation? >Are AOPA and FAA good enough sources to be called independent?>I haven't heard a word about it breathed on TV or in the >newspapers, and it should definitely be considered news. >Only to aviation freaks and Chicago denizens. It's not as if it will affect the life of Joe Average in San Jose.

>>I'm starting to wonder if this incident actually took place. >> Has anyone found any independent confirmation? >>>Are AOPA and FAA good enough sources to be called >independent? >>I haven't heard a word about it breathed on TV or in the >>newspapers, and it should definitely be considered news. >>>Only to aviation freaks and Chicago denizens. It's not as if >it will affect the life of Joe Average in San Jose. Well, I saw in mentioned on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN & Fox News, I say that qualifies for 'news.' Of course, there are far more important things happening that somewhat diminish the impact of Meigs closure, or Mayor Daley's unbridled arrogance.

Guest Air1

I can't beleive it. How many big citys have the benefit of a beautifulairport right in their front yard. Well, no more Mr mayor and don't think people will soon forget.