Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

Rex - How To Best Use For Ifr Flying

Guest dougwells

Got REX working....yeah!I've read REX's User Manual but I'm still a bit confused into how to best use it for my IFR flying (which is most of my FSX flying right now). Any help you could provide would be wonderful. 1. Do I create the ceilings and weather conditions in FSX and then does FSX use REX for the cloud textures, etc? OR...2. Do I create the ceings and weather in REX and then run FSX?Here is how I have been using FSX. I set ceilings and weather conditions in FSX at my local airport and shoot a few approaches in the area. I also use FourFlights.com to find some hard IFR and load the destination airport and fly a few approaches at that airport (way fun!). Is there a way to simply have REX provide the enhanced clouds, sunlight and airport environment while FSX controls ceilings and winds. Can REX help me better do what I am looking for which is enhanced visuals for when I break out?Also, I'd love a way to simplify my work loading IFR conditions into FSX for local flights (when I'm not using "real weather"). One of the hassles is setting ceilings as FSX sets clouds at MSL vs AGL. Ground elevation changes dramatically in Utah so I need to look up airport elevations and then set ceilings. I'd really love to just say "Give me hard IFR" or "Give me simple IFR". Can REX help me with this? Sounds like Active Sky Advanced might but that's a subject for a different post.Thanks everyone!

Doug-I basically use the sim the same way.The answer to your question is all of the above.Rex is really three things-some new and great textures for clouds, runways, atmophere etc. It is also a weather engine, and a flight planner.Right now there seem to be quite a lot of bugs in the latter 2 so I am waiting for the dust to settle there.Therefore I find myself doing option 1 more right now-I install the textures I like. Then exit Rex, and use either Active sky or default fs rw downloads, or choose manual settings myself. I still get the great Rex textures.On the other hand-you can use Rex to do all the above. It will automatically get the weather, and try to choose textures for you that it thinks most closely match if you want (though there is wondering how it does this since it is looking at the worldwide weather-not your location) and install the textures. It will then load the sim and use Rex's' weather generator to generate the weather.I hope that makes sense.

Geofa set me straight a few days ago on this, and I use REX like your Option 1. No weather or flight planning in REX until they provide a patch to make things work better. I use REX textures and clouds, shut it down, and open FSX. Then I fly with ZERO problems.Stan

Therefore I find myself doing option 1 more right now-I install the textures I like. Then exit Rex, and use either Active sky or default fs rw downloads, or choose manual settings myself. I still get the great Rex textures.
Same here ASX with just an install of textures...

André

After a number of issues with the REX weather engine, I just used the Theme Config to select and install textures, then shut down REX for good.Using FSX Advanced weather you can build some interesting environments for the new textures.I think the REX might have been best released just as a texture installer tool for $29US.That would have made the release much much better received,and they could have spent the time needed to work on the real time weather side,then released that as a add on later.

Guest dougwells

Last night, I tried the suggestions of just using REX for the textures. Downloaded some good storm weather for an airport on the shore of Utah Lake (BIG lake...about 10 miles north to south). Flew the ILS for runway 13. Great clouds and sunshine. As I broke out at 1000 AGL, I could clearly see the waves in the lake below. The water looked amazing! More real than when I fly the approach for real. Well worth the $39 pricetag for the textures alone. Thanks again everyone!

Guest ziporama

I must say that the REX textures are well done and the transparency of clouds combined with their detail is probably the best yet in FSX. Crossing a cloud layer is now is quite a sight.I use my trusty ASX for weather generation and use REX for the textures only. Etienne

Guest abulaafia

its definitely the way to go. I have done some REX vs. REX+ASX comparisons, and ASX truly makes REX shine. As if Hifi had seen that coming, they are releasing a new version called ASA which integrates with any texture add-on. One thing bothers me about REX though: the cloud textures are so good that one tends to notice how clouds are often placed wrong, dark side to the sun for example, upside down. Makes it look very unreal at times. It's a sim problem, but REX brings it out more.