Sign in to follow this  
Roadburner426

Md-11 Prototype Article (large Post For 56k Users)

To make a long story short and get to the good stuff. I was moving to my new apartment and decided to go through some stuff that my mom had brought me that I had when I was a kid. I was going through and throwig away old magazines and other junk when I ran across the book that got me interested in aviation to begin with. Started flipping through it and made it to the McDonnell Douglas section and interestingly enough there were a few pictures of what I would say is the MD-11 prototype because it looks nothing like the MD-11 we know in the cockpit. The book is entitled Modern Commercial Aircraft and was published in 1987. The ironic thing is that there are aircraft like the Lockheed Electra and other prop liners that dot the pages. Really is a throw back to the past. Even talks about a hi-bypass propfan version of the MD-80 called the MD-91/94X but that never made it into production.

Flight deck is more similar to the 747-400, with the lower EICAS in the pedestal. Its interesting to see what prototypes actually look like when the final production model comes out. Just look at the original design of the 787 as compared to what it looks like now. Also, the 757, which evolved from the 727-300.

Guest GAMER
Flight deck is more similar to the 747-400, with the lower EICAS in the pedestal. Its interesting to see what prototypes actually look like when the final production model comes out. Just look at the original design of the 787 as compared to what it looks like now. Also, the 757, which evolved from the 727-300.
I remember those pics when I worked on the MD-11 program at Douglas in the early days.Michael P.