Sign in to follow this  
Guest skylanepilot

Formal Petition to Re-Open Meigs Field.

Guest DanWalloch

Dear Pilots and Flight Simmers: I have drawn up a petition to have Meigs Field re-opened. This petition is a paper one, so you'll need to print it out and fill in your info and then mail it to me. See directions inclosed in the petition document. I will be collecting subimissions for the next six (6) months and will then get them to the hands of chicago officals. This petition is for people who are 18 years of age or older. Seeing that this is done in the USA, petitions signed by minors (under 18) may not count. I plan to get in touch with "Friends of Meigs" to further help this petition. If you would, please fill out the form and get it to me as soon as you can so that time isn't wasted. Thanks for your support.Your friend and concerned pilot: Dan Wallochhttp://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/re-o...igspetition.zip(Avsim staff could you please display this topic at the top of the list for a while to help gain support, Thanks!)

Sorry, Not to be mean or anything but your wasting your time. The only way Meigs would be reopened is via a court suit/judges orders. Living here in Chicago and watching the news all day, it was commented on quite a few times. That several MILLION dollars worth of damage was done to the airport. Unless you plan on sending a big check in with your petition the reopening of Meigs isn't going to happen. Because even if Daley/Park district (whom owns the land) gave-in to any petition there is NO money to rebuild it!Daley even said it was done the way it was to keep a last minute court order from stopping his bulldozers.I personally have lost most of the respect I had for the mayor in what he did, the way he did it, and his "made up" terrorists reasons for doing it.

Guest SoarPics

Hate to say it, Dan, but Bob is right.Daley did it the way he did so there would be no opposition. He wreaked his distruction in the dead of night without noifying anybody just so "petitions" would have no real value.Terrorists and gangsters around the world have found a new hero in Mr. Daley. His daddy would be proud!

Yes, Meigs was hit by a terrorist attack on Sunday night. Shame was the terrorist was our own mayor. :-fume Our governor supports Daley's "security" reasoning(bah, I want my vote back!). Strangely though no comments from any Aldermen & the Park District board.

Guest JDH

Good luck, but unless you can give Daley a bigger back-hander than he has already received, you are probably wasting your time.

Guest cw1011

I'm surprised at the outrage. Anyone who would believe that the government of Chicago exists to serve the citizens of Chicago doesn't know their history. The government of Chicago exists to create jobs and perks for the democratic machine in Chicago. Period.This is a win/win for the machine. A couple of thier contractor buddies get the demolition contract, which will be a nice one with all the concrete that needs to be moved, hazmat clean up and park conversion.It will be popular with the citizens because only flight simmers, airplane owners and corp execs care about the airport - a good populist move. And the fact that is is used as a med-evac site won't matter to most voters because most voters don't ever believe anything bad will happen, and even if something does, helicopters can land anywhere, can't they? Methinks that calls to ward bosses to try to buy a slot on the new softball fields will be a better use of time than petitions and protests.

If daley could be swayed by other's opinions, he never would have destroyed the place in the middle of the night...

Guest skylanepilot

Daley is probably within his rights to close the field and - indeed - probably does not care about the opinions of others (except maybe the voters in Chicago). He has the support of the Governor's office and is banking on the outcry to die out long before the next election.As sad as it is, Meigs Field will probably never re-open as an airport. That said, his feet must be held to the fire on this one.I will sign and return the petition ... not because I believe it will restore Meigs Field, but because to let the issue just "go away" is to concede defeat to political corruption. For supporters of Meigs Field, the best we can hope for is to make Mayor Daley pay a political price for his actions (and that will be no easy task). Keeping the issue in the media and in the eye of the public will show Daley for the buffoon he is.I am also drafting a letter to my Congressional representatives to demand the public censure of Mayor Daley for using the shield of patriotism in a time of war to advance his personal and political agenda. I will share that here when I'm finished with the draft.Political pressure is the only thing he understands and he believes he's got enough political capital banked to ride this one out. As well as local power, he is also well-connected within the National Democratic Party. If we can make him a "liability" to the party his cronies we can begin to make him pay politically for the mistake of closing Meigs Field.