Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Mesh Complexity Setting In Fsx

Hi,Could someone please tell me what the actual meaning of the Mesh Complexity setting in FSX is? Currently mine is set at '70' and I have the Mesh Resolution set to 1 meter. I have both GEX and UTX installed.I guess what I'm asking is what will I miss if I decrease the Mesh Complexity a bit since I'm trying to increase my FPS a bit but still of course would like to sacrifice as little as possible...both eat the cake and keep it :(

Richard Åsberg

From FSInsider.com:"Objects rendered in 3D are ultimately made up of a series of triangles. This slider controls the number of triangles that are used to display terrain. The more triangles, the smoother the terrain

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

...and I have the Mesh Resolution set to 1 meter. I have both GEX and UTX installed.
Do you have any mesh that has been Resampled down to 1 meter? If not, you're asking your system to take what mesh you have and to try and massage that data downwards. Most quality mesh I've seen (and made) is at 10 meter resolution.

Guest Nick_N
Hi,Could someone please tell me what the actual meaning of the Mesh Complexity setting in FSX is? Currently mine is set at '70' and I have the Mesh Resolution set to 1 meter. I have both GEX and UTX installed.I guess what I'm asking is what will I miss if I decrease the Mesh Complexity a bit since I'm trying to increase my FPS a bit but still of course would like to sacrifice as little as possible...both eat the cake and keep it :(
Unless you are using 1m mesh or 2m mesh from the Acelleration Mt St. Helens mission, setting a mesh resolution higher is not doing anythingMesh complexity 100% (unless you are on a VERY slow system, then 70-90)10m Mesh Resolution7cm textureSet and forget it.. ~!only boost mesh resolution above 10 if you have 5-2m mesh installed and to tell you the truth, most cant tell the difference between 10 and 2 unless there is photoscenery installed with a 2m texture res

OK, thanks for your input guys!I will adjust my mesh resolution from 1->10m since the only mesh I have installed is FSGenesis and I don't think 1m is necessary for that since you don't mention it, correct? Maybe that will raise my FPS a bit if I'm lucky?Not sure why I've had it set to 1m in the first place, guess I read somewhere you should have it set to 1m but must have misunderstood it since I don't have any special photorealistic stuff installed.

Richard Åsberg

Guest firehawk44
OK, thanks for your input guys!I will adjust my mesh resolution from 1->10m since the only mesh I have installed is FSGenesis and I don't think 1m is necessary for that since you don't mention it, correct? Maybe that will raise my FPS a bit if I'm lucky?Not sure why I've had it set to 1m in the first place, guess I read somewhere you should have it set to 1m but must have misunderstood it since I don't have any special photorealistic stuff installed.
If you turn your mesh resolution to max, you'll see that your FSGenesis mesh causes the airports to sit on plateau's and lowering it will decrease the airport levels and make them even with the surrounding area. That's what I discovered when I had the FSGenesis mesh installed. It may have been fixed by now. But, as I recall, I had the resolution set to 152m and that kept the airports level with the surrounding ground. However, whenever I commented on this anomaly in this forum, many were upset with my placement at 152m since that would simply take away the reason for buying the mesh. But, you can see it for yourself (KLAS was most pronounced) unless Justin fixed this issue. I have my mesh resolution set to 38m w/UT and GEX Enhanced installed and the graphics are stunning (complexity is at 100%) w/good fps. Best regards,Jim

Guest Nick_N
If you turn your mesh resolution to max, you'll see that your FSGenesis mesh causes the airports to sit on plateau's and lowering it will decrease the airport levels and make them even with the surrounding area. That's what I discovered when I had the FSGenesis mesh installed. It may have been fixed by now. But, as I recall, I had the resolution set to 152m and that kept the airports level with the surrounding ground. However, whenever I commented on this anomaly in this forum, many were upset with my placement at 152m since that would simply take away the reason for buying the mesh. But, you can see it for yourself (KLAS was most pronounced) unless Justin fixed this issue. I have my mesh resolution set to 38m w/UT and GEX Enhanced installed and the graphics are stunning (complexity is at 100%) w/good fps. Best regards,Jim
FSGenesis V2.0 USA/Mexico has been out for quite a while and Justin just released the Hawaii and Alaska v2.0 patch recently tooIt does not fix every single one of them but most of them are now tamed down10m Mesh Resolution is all thats needed and as mentioned above even if one has 2m mesh running unless the textures are really designed for it its hard to tell the difference from 10-2m. Tile Proxy running with the 2/3m Acelleration Mt St Helens mission mesh is probably one of the few

Guest christian

To answer your original question: mesh complexity controls how fast the mesh detail drops with distance. A lower value means higher frame rates, but less detail in the mountains at mid to far distance.Hope that helps,Christian

Thanks again guys, I have it now set to 10m and will see what it gives in terms of increased FPS on my next flights.Another thing about the 'Mesh Complexity' setting, you Christian said it's also (only?) related to distance - does that mean I will have equally detailed mountains even with a lower setting as long as I'm close to the mountain?

Richard Åsberg

Guest christian
Thanks again guys, I have it now set to 10m and will see what it gives in terms of increased FPS on my next flights.Another thing about the 'Mesh Complexity' setting, you Christian said it's also (only?) related to distance - does that mean I will have equally detailed mountains even with a lower setting as long as I'm close to the mountain?
Yes, you should, although 'close' may mean 'very close'. Since I don't know the source code I don't know how it works 100%, but I know the base algorithm fairly well. Modern systems crunch terrains very fast, so you may not see too much difference in FPS...

I have now tried both having it set to 50% as well as 100% and honestly so far I haven't notcied any real difference for either performance or graphical detail but guess it depends on where you are in the virtual world.Anyway I will now keep it at 100% as long as I still get the locked 20 FPS I want and then I will try decreasing it if the FPS falls.

Richard Åsberg