Sign in to follow this  

I don't understand anything anymore. I don't really have a problem with Vista, I'm just tired of getting ntdll.dll crash to desktop. Performance is fine on my setup using Vista, it just isn't reliable enough to "lose" myself in my pretend simming adventures. So, I think I'll go back to XP Pro for simming and use Vista for my day to day computer addiction.Anyone else finally had enough? I know I've posted a couple different threads in the last few weeks kind of dealing with this, but now I am just frustrated enough that I need to take drastic measures to get my simming life where I want it. Is there anything else I should know about dual boot Vista/XP limitations? This post could be a little bit cart before the horse, but my FSX sometimes runs for hours without problems, other times it crashes right off the bat. I get a wide variety of errors and it seems a lot of them have to do with textures or dll files or unknown.Hardware is:Quad Core 2.8 Pentium4 gig ramGeforce 260 with latest driversSaitek Yoke/Switch PanelCH Pro RuddersTrackIR 4FSX software:VoxATC XUltimate Terrain XFSEconomyI have a suspension that some of my problems are coming from UTX. I don't know why, but when I disable it, the sim seems to run longer between crashes and sometimes it will go weeks without a crash.This post is all over the place. Sorry. I'm just hoping that some other simmers on here might have close to the same specs or issues or have setup a dual boot system and might have some advice.Thanks for any comments.Dondo

Guest djt01
I don't understand anything anymore. I don't really have a problem with Vista, I'm just tired of getting ntdll.dll crash to desktop. Performance is fine on my setup using Vista, it just isn't reliable enough to "lose" myself in my pretend simming adventures. So, I think I'll go back to XP Pro for simming and use Vista for my day to day computer addiction.Anyone else finally had enough? I know I've posted a couple different threads in the last few weeks kind of dealing with this, but now I am just frustrated enough that I need to take drastic measures to get my simming life where I want it. Is there anything else I should know about dual boot Vista/XP limitations? This post could be a little bit cart before the horse, but my FSX sometimes runs for hours without problems, other times it crashes right off the bat. I get a wide variety of errors and it seems a lot of them have to do with textures or dll files or unknown.
Sounds like you

Hi Dondo.A few things to try, look at:Make sure you Update to SP1.Make sure All your drivers applications are for Vista version, 32 or 64 bit, whatever you have, you cannot use the 32 in 64 and vcv.The Video drivers and Vista seem to have a difficult time getting along.Try to disable one program at the time to localize the trigger, it may be from a background task, getting started, Vista does a lot of that.Disable, at least temporarily, the Windows updates, run MSFS in XP compatible, Administrator mode.I would stay away from dual boot of Vista and XP, while it can be done it's nothing but a pain, and if you think you have problems now, you will likely double them in Dual boot. If you go XP, I would only go 64 bit and on a separate physical drive.TV

Guest djt01
The Video drivers and Vista seem to have a difficult time getting along.
I been using Vista since it was still in beta and haven

Hi, djt01.You THE MAN. Perfect OS, all the rest of are part of inferior species.And your contribution to the OP's question is? TV

Guest djt01
Hi, djt01.You THE MAN. Perfect OS, all the rest of are part of inferior species.And your contribution to the OP's question is? TV
Who said anything about perfect? I don

I don't understand anything anymore. I don't really have a problem with Vista, I'm just tired of getting ntdll.dll crash to desktop. Performance is fine on my setup using Vista, it just isn't reliable enough to "lose" myself in my pretend simming adventures. So, I think I'll go back to XP Pro for simming and use Vista for my day to day computer addiction.Anyone else finally had enough? I know I've posted a couple different threads in the last few weeks kind of dealing with this, but now I am just frustrated enough that I need to take drastic measures to get my simming life where I want it. Is there anything else I should know about dual boot Vista/XP limitations? This post could be a little bit cart before the horse, but my FSX sometimes runs for hours without problems, other times it crashes right off the bat. I get a wide variety of errors and it seems a lot of them have to do with textures or dll files or unknown.Hardware is:Quad Core 2.8 Pentium4 gig ramGeforce 260 with latest driversSaitek Yoke/Switch PanelCH Pro RuddersTrackIR 4FSX software:VoxATC XUltimate Terrain XFSEconomyI have a suspension that some of my problems are coming from UTX. I don't know why, but when I disable it, the sim seems to run longer between crashes and sometimes it will go weeks without a crash.This post is all over the place. Sorry. I'm just hoping that some other simmers on here might have close to the same specs or issues or have setup a dual boot system and might have some advice.Thanks for any comments.Dondo
Dondo,If you haven't already, do a search for step-by-step guides on dual booting XP and Vista. There are some issues to be mindful of that can cause headaches later if not attended to. There is another approach too: if your mainboard offers Alt-F8 (or other key combination for your specific BIOS) for boot device selection, then you can install each OS as an isolated installation, unawares of the other OS in the same PC. I am planning to do this option when I install Vista. I believe it may be the most stable, if not necessarily as convenient, configuration. My ASUS P5E3 Premium BIOS offers this capability during boot up, so a keypress will be involved I assume. I have copy of Vista 64 just sitting in its case for 10 months now!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I think that I might disable GEX turn off TrackIR and see how things go.LoL...."User Error" in setting up a MS product on a MS product. Can't see how an OS "dropping" USB connectivity would be a "User Error". :( :(