Sign in to follow this  
Guest NDRustyfan

Help With Fsx Acceleration

Guest NDRustyfan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi all,I just built a new computer and I can install FSX with no problems, run FSX with the default flight and everything is good. I then install FSX Acceleration with no problems installing but the I cannot start FSX. I get this error"Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation"I have uninstalled FSX Acceleration and then I can run FSX again. I have done a number of complete uninstalls and reinstalls but nothing seems to work. I also tryed to insatall SP1 after a base FSX install and I get the same error. My FSX and Acceleration are legit disks with proper product keys.Here are my system specsMotherboard - GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4HCPU - AMD Phenom 9950 2.6Ghz Quad Core Black EditionCPU FAN - ZEROherm BTF80 92mm Silent UFORAM - Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2gb) SDRAM DDR2 1066 PC-8500Video - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 X2 2 GB CDDR5 PCI ExpressCase - SILVERSTONE FT01B-WPower Supply - SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000wHard Drive - 1ea 640GB | Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS SATAHard Drive - 2ea 160GB | MAXTOR 6Y160M0 SATADVD | Lite-On SATA BlackDVD+/-RW DL | Lite-On SATA BlackCreative Sound Blaster | X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion Series PCI ExpressMonitor - Hanns-G Hi-221DPB Black 5ms Widescreen 22' LCDLogitech Z-5300e 5.1 Speakers 280W RMSKeyborad - Saitek EclipseKeyboard - Logitech MX5500 BluetoothMouse - Logitech MX Revolution BluetoothWindows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bitThanks

You're not the first to be confused by the SP2/Acceleration installation process, but don't worry because help is at hand. Reading your post it sounds like you skipped the installation of SP1 in your hurry to install SP2. Reading these two pages will show you that you need to install the items one after the other; i.e. RTM, SP1 then SP2/Acceleration.http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...to-install.aspxhttp://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack2.aspxI'm sure it's possible to make them all work for you. If you have any more trouble with them then let us know.Good luck, and welcome to Avsim.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest NDRustyfan

Thanks fot the reply, Just one quick question what is RTM?Also I thought that acceleration will install SP1 if it is not installed along with SP2I did try FSX + SP1 alone and I received the same error

Acceleration does install both SP1 and SP2, if needed. You only need to download and install SP1 first if you are applying the standalone SP2 download.To NDRustyFan, sounds like some prerequisite didn't install correctly (something like the DirectX runtime, MSXML V4, VC runtime, etc), unfortunately the error message the OS returns for missing/incorrect version/corrupt DLLs doesn't actually mention which DLL it failed on. I can't think of anything that SP1 needed that RTM (that's Release To Manufacturing - or the original in the box release) didn't though. You've got Vista SP1 installed, so that covers all of the Vista related issues that I know of.One possibility, after looking at your specs, is that with that 2G video card and running on a 32-bit version of Vista, there isn't enough memory left in the 4G virtual address space for the app to even load (the OS has to map the video cards memory plus its own kernel buffers and whatnot into that same 4G space), although that would probably display a different error message. If you have a smaller memory video card you could swap in and try on that machine and if it then works, switching to Vista 64bit might help.Timhttp://beatlesblog.spaces.live.com

Once you are back to your RTM (release to manufacturing) installation, try to copy all the files from the Accel disk to your hard drive....make a folder "FSX Accel install" or something. Run your RTM copy of FSX once. Install SP1. Run FSX again. Then use the setup.exe in the folder you created on your hard drive to install Acceleration.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest NDRustyfan

Thanks for everyones help. I have a question if there is some type of program to clean any reminants of FSX and Acceleration after I unistall to run before I reinstall. I have even disabled UAC and PCTools internet Security but that doesn't work either.

Guest NDRustyfan

Anyone out there have any more sugestions. I just uninstalled FSX & Acceleration, made sure that there were no files left over. turned off PCTools internet security, installed FSX, reactivated, ran the default flight once. (worked good) the I installed Acceleration and when i try to start I still get this error"Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation"one thing I did notice that it asked to activate for FSX but not when I start AccelerationHelp Help Help

I gotta tell you Rusty, I feel your pain. I know how I'd feel if I couldn't get it working. I'd be peeved!I can only suggest that you consider Beatle's advice above.

One possibility, after looking at your specs, is that with that 2G video card and running on a 32-bit version of Vista, there isn't enough memory left in the 4G virtual address space for the app to even load (the OS has to map the video cards memory plus its own kernel buffers and whatnot into that same 4G space), although that would probably display a different error message. If you have a smaller memory video card you could swap in and try on that machine and if it then works, switching to Vista 64bit might help.Timhttp://beatlesblog.spaces.live.com
Tim is one of the developers of FSX, he's a member of Aces Studio and we all respect his understanding of the intricacies of FSX's countless functions.On the basis of his advice I'd be inclined to either make do with FSX RTM + SP1 which you can download here:http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack1.aspxOr you may have to try upgrading your operating system to the 64 bit version of Vista. The suggestion which Tim makes is to swap out your graphics card with something a little smaller, and if it works for you then try upgrading Vista. I think you'll find that FSX is more CPU dependant anyway, so a slightly more modest GPU might not make much difference to your frame rates, and you may feel happy with that.I hope you can find a way through this problem. There is a lot of info out there which could help you, both on this site and on the numerous developer sites which are hosted by Microsoft.I wish you good luck with your delberations.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest NDRustyfan

Well a smaller video card did not do the trick, tryed my onboard ATI HD3300 and still the same error."Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation"Like I said before when I am installing FSX Acceleration I do not get the prompt for my serial number or to activate it, like I do when reinstalling FSX. So I really believe that there is something wrong in the activation part of FSX.Anyone please help!

Hi Rusty,You could try installing FSX SP2 to see if your installation will accept that. After the initial release of FSX in October 2006 (known around here as RTM), Aces Studio released two service packs which correct some performance problems users were having. They released SP2 at about the same time as Acceleration, and so Acceleration included SP2 (also SP1 I believe). But you can download and install SP2 on its own, and get all the SP2 functionality included in Acceleration minus the three aircraft (FA-18, P51 and the EH101) and the Acceleration missions. You'll need to install SP1 before you can install SP2, and you'll need to install both on a fairly clean FSX RTM install. What this means is that add-ons such as Active Sky, or landclass add-ons which alter the RTM installation will have to be uninstalled before you can proceed. Other add-ons like some aircraft which don't alter any of the base installation files you can leave in place. You can get the two service packs here:http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack1.aspxhttp://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack2.aspxAnd you will find instructions on how to ensure a successful installation here:http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/default.aspxJust peruse the Support page for the info you need. You may do well to explore the FSInsider site. It is one of Microsoft's own, and there's a lot of useful stuff there.I hope this helps man.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest NDRustyfan

Hi all Again, I think I found out what was causing the problem with Acceleration. So far I seems like Stardock Impulse was causing the problems, because I have reformated my hard drive and reinstalled everything except Stardock and Acceleration works just fine. After this happened I do remember that the fisrt time that I ran into this issue FSX + Acceleration was working just fine until I installed Stardock's Apps, then the error showed up. Now when I load FSX I get the message that windows is changing to Windows Vista Basic and everything works great. :(