Sign in to follow this  
Guest rennman

Fuel Consumption Rate

Guest rennman

i tried doing a flight from panc to rjtt...alaska to japan. 3000 miles...i filled the aircraft with 50% full of fuel...but ran dry about an hour into the flight...im new to this plane so if its my fault thats okm ryder

There a many factors which contribute to fuel burn. Can't really discuss anything further without more information. Have you read through the entire manual yet and tutorial yet? Being new to the airplane, these would be good sources to start with before embarking on a long flight.

i tried doing a flight from panc to rjtt...alaska to japan. 3000 miles...i filled the aircraft with 50% full of fuel...but ran dry about an hour into the flight...im new to this plane so if its my fault thats okm ryder
Hi, there must be something completely wrong - here an example I just finishedEDDT-KJFK 3512 NM TOF 83.2kgs/1000 for 08:20 flt timeFinal fuel after touchdown : 23.5 kgs/1000 for 08:05 ( winds again completely off ...) TTL burn : 59.7 kgs/1000Exact flt planning will help - just load 50% fuel won't be the answer....

Hi, there must be something completely wrong - here an example I just finishedEDDT-KJFK 3512 NM TOF 83.2kgs/1000 for 08:20 flt timeFinal fuel after touchdown : 23.5 kgs/1000 for 08:05 ( winds again completely off ...) TTL burn : 59.7 kgs/1000Exact flt planning will help - just load 50% fuel won't be the answer....
Check to make sure all information in FMC is correct, such as cost index, weight, takeoff thrust. Along with weather, these have effect on fuel burn.The lower the cost index on the FMC is, this will help with lower fuel consumption.

Guest rennman

if im doing it wrong that is ok..it takes a lot to master this plane...but if i put in 50%...how can that foul up the consumption rate?

if im doing it wrong that is ok..it takes a lot to master this plane...but if i put in 50%...how can that foul up the consumption rate?
Having more fuel => more mass => more fuel burn.I'd really suggest reading the manual, but particularly in relation to this post, the chapter on fuel (flight) planning.

Guest rennman

there is nothing that i could be doing so wrong to make the plane use twice as much fuel as normal...im doing a test right now..ill put up the numbers when its done and we will try to see whats going on...thanks for right now thoughm ryder

I don't have this plane, yet (waiting for FS9 version), however; are you loading the fuel with the PMDG load utility, NOT the MSFS default fuel loader? The PMDG 747 (so I'm thinking the MD-11 too) requires you use the PMDG load manager or the PMDG options menu to load the fuel only, as using the MS fuel loading logic will mess up the whole works.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest rennman

so there is something that i was doing that was that wrong!i was using the fsx fuel loader...i will try what you said...i think it may workthanksmryder

Cool, hope it helps! :(

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest rennman

that was it...it wasnt a consuption rate issue..it was quantity..for some reason 100% of fuel in the defaul fsx loader equals less than 20% in the pmdg 747!but we can close this...i dont know what id do without you guys!thanksmike ryder

Heh, and wanted to start a thread here yesterday mentionaning that the fuel burn seemed a bit low. But I had not posted it since I'm still trying to figure out if it's true and by how much. I adjusted my personal copy's flow scalar a bit as I found it to be too thrifty. But haven't gotten my hands on an FCOM where I can find cruise tables. FSBuild's data normally are taken right out of AFM's and I have now a cruise BIAS of -7.5% after increasing the Mad Dog's flow scalar. If Active Sky/SimConnect and FSX are ever going to cooperate and give me accurate winds aloft. The way it is now, flight planning is more fiction than fact.Cheers,Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777