Sign in to follow this  
Guest bekfreak

I7 920 Or 9550

Guest bekfreak

Okay, so my computer purchase is on hold due to family emergancy and I likely won't shell out my money till Intel's first quarter at this rate. I'm not planning on doing an OC on either, and I'm seeing mixed reviews on your run of the mill 920. I'd like to go for the 4-6gb of PC2-8500 RAM or if I go the DDR3 route with an 920. I've read some of Nick's posts on that the 920's moot unless you're planning to OC the hell out of it and due to family medical issues a 940 is out of the mix. So, I can either sit on my old P4 2.4ghz longer or go for the 9550 with the bells and whistles considering the i7 is replacing the 9450, and the QX line come first quarter.This would of been much easier if they i7 didn't come out when I started building the computer budget up. :) Corsair 550WMassCool 8W553B1M3Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MBASUS P6T DeluxeSuper Talent DDR3-13333GB (3x1G CL8BFG nVidia GeForce 9800GTX+ OC 512MBWestern Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB Black SATA2 7200rpm 32MBSamsung SH-S223F 22X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA DriveMicrosoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit (64-bit OS Required for 4GB and more RAM)And, for the 9550 set up. Corsair 650WMassCool 8W553B1M3Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 2.83GHz 1333MHz 12MBGIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R (P45 Chipset)OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 4GB (2 x 2GB) CL5 (PC28500)BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB Black SATA2 7200rpm 32MBSamsung SH-S223F 22X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA DriveMicrosoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Seeing what you are upgrading from you will have a big boost either way you go. I too am in the process of a upgrade from a Pentium D dual core. I have decided to go with the i7940. There are plenty of opinions around on which way to go and after pondering over it for a long time I am going i7. So my vote would be i7 but others may say otherwise. I will tell you what someone told me about it..... Come out of the wilderness and into the promise land. You said you were looking at the 920 and its not priced too bad. If you are like me and have long periods of time between upgrades I would save some more and go for the 940. Just my opinion though.Good luck and hope all goes well with your family medical problems.

Jim Wenham

Guest D17S

If it ends up that the i7 runs clock for clock at 20% faster than the old core2, then the i7/920 and the Q9550's performance will be virtually indistinguishable. If that's the case, you might consider a Q6600 O\Ced to 3.0. As you know, the Q95 gets its 2.8Ghz speed via a 333Mhz FSB x its 8.5X multiplier. Q66 will get it's 3.0Ghz from that same 333Mhz FSB, but its higher 9X multiplier. The only difference is that the Q9550 will auto-set that 333Mhz FSB: while the Q66 will make you manually click that bios setting up to 333. A GO/SLACKER Q66 will run at 3.0 with the stock heatsink. The only real problem is deciding how effectively that extra 150++ clams ya saved with the Q66 (and only needing 4Gs of DDR2-800 ram) might help out.

Guest bekfreak

I'm not planning to OC the chip and be safe with running stock. The chip from where I'm getting it will not have a stock heatsink though oc or not. The guy who does the builds doesn't like using the stock heatsinks at all.

Guest te4389

Like the rest of you I have spent many weeks considering the q9550 or i7 for a new build; and finally went with the i7 920. Am going to have it overclocked from stock 2.67ghz to 3.2ghz. I was told it should run stable for years at this medium o.c. You can't beat the value of i7 920. Upgrading from old pentium D that i've had for almost 5 years. New build at AVA Direct, hope to have it in a couple of weeks:ANTEC, Performance One P182 Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Steel/Plastic THERMALTAKE, Toughpower, 80 PLUS

Guest te4389

Currently using 22" HP monitor. Not going to get new one just yet. Pretty happy with this one...and I've spent all my money for now!