Sign in to follow this  

Scenery Object Not Found Errors

Maybe its fs2002 timing out trying to find the files on your hardrive. How much drive space do you have available. If small, your Windows swap file will get smaller (usually results in an out of memory error).I would try doing a deep scan disk check, then a defragmentation. Also empty you saved internet temporary files, flush your cookies that you don't need, empty your trash, click on my computer, click on the drive that contains Windows, right click that drive, select properties, select disk cleanup, check all the selections, click OK.

Aside from the already good advice you received, I also wanted to ask which airports you seem to be getting these problems at, and whether your install was a full or partial one?Around NYC and Stonehenge, there were known issues related to this error message. I posted a fix for NYC, and someone else posted a fix for Stonehenge. Both can be found in the tips section at FSGateway.comAlso, on a partial install where scenery is cached to your hard drive from CD, there's a chance you'd be getting cache read errors. I've seen this on full installs where people have been convinced to enable the cache for installed scenery as well.If all else fails, do a complete reinstall of FS2002....-John

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a separate hard disk devoted to FS2002 and have several gigabytes of storage space available on both it and my boot drive. Given the amount of free space I have available, I don't think that the size of my Windows swap file should be an issue. Before loading the simulator, I also close *everything* except explorer and the systray to maximize system resources (over 90% available). Been running this way since FS2002 was released without a problem - until now.Haven't defragged my hard drive in some time so will give that a try after doing a full surface scan. Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Thanks for your reply John.I purchased FS2002 when it first came out and did a full install at that time. I've installed a great deal of addon scenery since then and haven't cached any of it. I enjoy modifying AI flights using Traffic Tools and AITM and now have over 830 AI aircraft and 60,000 flights. Would hate to have to do a re-install unless I *completely* run out of options. Perhaps I'll try disabling the AI flights to see if it makes a difference.I probably should have started keeping a proper log once the problem first surfaced but I do recall experiencing the error messages at the Vancouver airport, in a flight between San Bernadino and John Wayne and sitting at one of the airports in Tokyo. For some reason, I have not experienced the problem sitting at my home airport in Ottawa. Will try some airports in the UK, Germany and the Eastern US to see what happens.

Something that may help (and save you from a full reinstall)....On the fsgateway tips page, I have install instructions for FS2002 under Win95.... Take a look at the info related to the scenery, and extract all scenery related folders back onto your hard drive. I suspect that there may be some .bgl out there on your system that has replaced a default fs bgl, with the consequences you've seen. If OTH, you've had this problem since day 1, it's possible you received a damage CD in your FS2002 box, and not all the base files are being extracted properly.

Guest nbl957

You don't say how long this has been happening. I'm guessing from other comments that it's a new thing.I've had the same happen recently. It boiled down to me not reading the instructions that came with an add-on scenery. Some sceneries require additional texture or other files (eg trees) that are not included with the install. Read the instructions from your recent scenery add-ons and ensure that you have all the proper files in the proper places. I'll bet this solves your problem.All the best

Larry:This has happened to me several times when I load some airport scenery. When in FS2002 look around at any prop aircraft and see if the prop is missing in any of them. If it is, then the solution is easy. Go to the scenery library and select Add Area. Scroll to fs2002/scenerydb/highlight Props and click OK. Let it reload the props and see if that fixes your problem.

Thanks John, that sounds like a plausible cause. I've experienced problem bgls in the past which were resolved using the small utility that Lee Swordy recently made available here on Avsim. It doesn't show any problems with my current setup but that doesn't mean that one of the default FS2002 bgls wasn't overwritten by one of my scenery add-ons. I tried a surface scan and defrag last night with no change in results. I also tried several other airports and didn't experience any errors. It's beginning to look like a localized problem although it seems strange that I'm experiencing it in different regions at the same time.

My problem first showed up last weekend. As per my comments in the previous thread, I'm only experiencing it at some locations which seems a bit strange. I do have addon sceneries installed in or around the areas where I'm experiencing the errors which would seem to suggest that 1) there's something wrong with one or more of the addon sceneries I'm using or 2) there's something wrong with the manner in which I installed them. I'm going to continue testing to see if I can narrow down the problem. Thanks for your suggestion.

Another interesting suggestion. One of the reasons I substituted an old scenery.cfg file when this problem first surfaced was I noticed that some of the 'standard' FS2002 default scenery was no longer appearing at the beginning of this file. A straight substitution didn't seem to rectify the problem. I've also received a couple of Microsoft error messages recently suggesting there might be a problem with my FS2002dw.cfg file (at least I think that's what it was called - I'm at work now). Haven't checked into that file yet. Will check for props at Vancouver airport tonight after work.Does anyone know if it's possible to identify the specific object being referred to by the strange looking mix of numbers and letters you see in a 'scenery object not found' error message? I tried doing a text string search in all of the directories in my FS2002 installation but came up with nothing.Thanks again Charlie and everyone else who has contributed their ideas and opinions, it's most appreciated.Larry

Very Strange,I do have been having this problem recently in Central British Columbia to North Washington State.I am wondering if it is related to the new BC scenery files (LOD7 & LOD9) I recently installed?Has anyone any thoughts on this?

Someone identified the problem in NYC with something called "BGLAnalyzer", although I don't quite know how they did it. But it was based on the info they gathered from it that they were able to tell me the problem was linked to the Giants Stadium. Once I put an exclude box around the stadium, the object errors were gone

I also have those scenery mesh files installed on my PC. Sounds like it might be worth disabling them to see if it makes a difference. I also recently installed a new version of Vancouver airport (CYVR). I *believe* that's when I first experienced the scenery object not found error. The author recently posted an update to fix a few problems that some users were experiencing. He didn't mention the scenery objects error as being one of them and the update didn't resolve my particular problem. When I noticed similar errors in other locations, I concluded that the Vancouver addon wasn't the source of the problem. Think I may try uninstalling that also.

Guest captbulldog

>Larry: >This has happened to me several times when I load some >airport scenery. When in FS2002 look around at any prop >aircraft and see if the prop is missing in any of them. If >it is, then the solution is easy. Go to the scenery library >and select Add Area. Scroll to fs2002/scenerydb/highlight >Props and click OK. Let it reload the props and see if that >fixes your problem. Oddly enough, that seems to fix the problem! Thanks!