Sign in to follow this  
Guest JNS

Fsgenesis, Gex, Fex, Utx Question

Guest JNS

Hi. I'm just getting back into flight simming and I'm a little confused about the different scenery/terrain packages available for FSX. I'm planning on purchasing GEX, FEX, and UTX which I think are designed to be used together. I've recently seen FSGenesis mentioned as a good package to get. I don't completely understand the differences between the various options. My questions are whether FSGenesis is to be used along with GEX, FEX, and UTX or instead of them AND do these add-ons replace FSX stock scenery or just add to it. Could someone please help me out with this?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff, i have them all and they all work great together. let me explain what each one does. FEX is a product that makes changes to the way the clouds, sky, water and water animations all look. the clouds can be shown in 1024X1024 or some are as high as 4096 but higher numbered cloud textures may cause a hit on your computers performance. FEX also allows you to download for free other people's weather themes that they have made giving you tons of variety on how the clouds, sky and water look in FSX. There is a weather engine in the works that will allow FEX to change the way the weather looks as you fly from one area to another as it gets real world weather updates. highly recommended.UTX is a landclass update for FSX, it makes urban areas look more reaslistic, though not exactly like what your city or town look like from the air, you need photo scenery for that ( for what it's worth, i don't like photoscenery ) it also places coastlines, rivers, lakes, railroads, streets and highways exactly where they belong. UTX is highly customizable so you can ask it to do a little or a lot. this was the first add on i got for FSX and it made a huge difference in the visuals. highly recommendedGEX changes the look of ground textures making them look more realistic and very sharp and this goes very very well with UTX, it does all seasons, and day and night textures. highly recommended.FSGenesis actually offers both a landclass and mesh product and i use both. there are plenty of areas in the stock version of FSX where ther should be cmall cities or towns that get left out and the FSGenesis landclass puts those in there and makes some of the stock ones look better, the FSGenesis mesh makes things like hills and mountains look much more realistic with sharp peaks and not all rolling hills for mountians. FSX mesh is standard at 38 meters, FSG brings it down to 10 meters. what this means is instead of taking measurements every 38 meters for elevation data, FSG does it every 10 meters so the elevation looks much better. highly recommended.what is great is even thought the products are make by different people, they all love flight sim and work together to make sure the products work well together.go to www.flight1.com where all of these,except for FSGenesis can be purchased and look at the photos each one has showing off their products, you will be sold for sure. www.fsgenesis.com for mesh and landclass. also check out http://www.simforums.com/forums/ for any questions or help with any of the flight1 products. there are a lot of happy customers there.i hope this answered your question :( Kyle

Guest JNS
Jeff, i have them all and they all work great together. let me explain what each one does. FEX is a product that makes changes to the way the clouds, sky, water and water animations all look. the clouds can be shown in 1024X1024 or some are as high as 4096 but higher numbered cloud textures may cause a hit on your computers performance. FEX also allows you to download for free other people's weather themes that they have made giving you tons of variety on how the clouds, sky and water look in FSX. There is a weather engine in the works that will allow FEX to change the way the weather looks as you fly from one area to another as it gets real world weather updates. highly recommended.UTX is a landclass update for FSX, it makes urban areas look more reaslistic, though not exactly like what your city or town look like from the air, you need photo scenery for that ( for what it's worth, i don't like photoscenery ) it also places coastlines, rivers, lakes, railroads, streets and highways exactly where they belong. UTX is highly customizable so you can ask it to do a little or a lot. this was the first add on i got for FSX and it made a huge difference in the visuals. highly recommendedGEX changes the look of ground textures making them look more realistic and very sharp and this goes very very well with UTX, it does all seasons, and day and night textures. highly recommended.FSGenesis actually offers both a landclass and mesh product and i use both. there are plenty of areas in the stock version of FSX where ther should be cmall cities or towns that get left out and the FSGenesis landclass puts those in there and makes some of the stock ones look better, the FSGenesis mesh makes things like hills and mountains look much more realistic with sharp peaks and not all rolling hills for mountians. FSX mesh is standard at 38 meters, FSG brings it down to 10 meters. what this means is instead of taking measurements every 38 meters for elevation data, FSG does it every 10 meters so the elevation looks much better. highly recommended.what is great is even thought the products are make by different people, they all love flight sim and work together to make sure the products work well together.go to www.flight1.com where all of these,except for FSGenesis can be purchased and look at the photos each one has showing off their products, you will be sold for sure. www.fsgenesis.com for mesh and landclass. also check out http://www.simforums.com/forums/ for any questions or help with any of the flight1 products. there are a lot of happy customers there.i hope this answered your question :( Kyle
Kyle, thank you very much for your excellent reply. I couldn't have asked for more. Now I just have to get the computer built (hopefully this weekend; i7 965, P6T Deluxe mobo w/6G 1600 RAM, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler, GTX280, Vista 64), finish buying the above software, and get it all loaded and running.Well, I just thought of one other question. Does FSX give the user the choice of scenery files within the program or do I have to remove FSX's scenery files and substitute the add-ons? This is probably all explained in the add-ons' documentation, but thought I would check to be sure.Thanks,Jeff

you will not have to remove any files in FSX when adding the new software. some of the files are overwritten, for example GEX will overwrite the files but it allows you to make a back up copy of the old files first in case you ever want or need to go back to them. one fun thing to do is fly to a spot in FSX and take a picture of an area you know well, then with every add on you put on the computer, go back to that area and take another picture. by the time you are done, it wont look like your not even using the same FSX. one big thing is this, after you install a program add on ( UTX, FEX, GEX, ect...) download it, defrag your hard drive, run FSX to make sure all is well, go to the next program and repeat and again i can not stress how important the http://www.simforums.com/forums/default.asp link is. NickN who is ont the simforum and this one as well has countless bits of great information on GEX and how it all works with UTX and FSGenesis. some people have install or other problems but the simforum.com site is so very helpful. or on this web site just post a question in the FSX topic and not in this one, or just send me a PM.

Guest JNS
you will not have to remove any files in FSX when adding the new software. some of the files are overwritten, for example GEX will overwrite the files but it allows you to make a back up copy of the old files first in case you ever want or need to go back to them. one fun thing to do is fly to a spot in FSX and take a picture of an area you know well, then with every add on you put on the computer, go back to that area and take another picture. by the time you are done, it wont look like your not even using the same FSX. one big thing is this, after you install a program add on ( UTX, FEX, GEX, ect...) download it, defrag your hard drive, run FSX to make sure all is well, go to the next program and repeat and again i can not stress how important the http://www.simforums.com/forums/default.asp link is. NickN who is ont the simforum and this one as well has countless bits of great information on GEX and how it all works with UTX and FSGenesis. some people have install or other problems but the simforum.com site is so very helpful. or on this web site just post a question in the FSX topic and not in this one, or just send me a PM.
Once again, thanks for the help, Kyle. I'm taking all the components today (Friday) to the builder and hopefully will have a new computer by Monday. Then I'll start installing all of the software and possibly trying some overclocking.Thanks,Jeff