Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 in on Projection TV 53' - Is is worth?

Hello everybody,Fortunately my financial situation permits to build a home theater at my new house I've just bought. So I was thinking to join my flight sim stuff with the home theater to get a potential better experience.I'm planning to setup the room with a LG 53 inches wide Projection TV with AV, DVD, VCR, videogame, 5:1 channel sound and so. The question is: if I add a GeForce 4 video card with S-VHS connector so I can plug the computer directly to the TV at 1.024 x 768 as stated in the videocard box will I have a good ( and big ) flightsim experience?Does anyone have already tried to fly the FS2002 on a large TV ?What about the gauges? Am I going to see them blurred ? will it be "flicker free"?Regards,Henrique CoelhoVirtual SOARing SocietySOAR # 325

The TV you describe doesn't sound like it has the resolution. You would really need a HDTV that has a higher resolution and make sure you get one that takes a VGA input.The video card has the capability but not the TV.

I tried it with a Radeon 9700 Pro on an Akai 54" using the S-Video connection and it was pretty bad. I decided against it rather quickly. However, as I understand, the plasma TV's will handle the higher resolutions pretty well. Apparently, they are much like a "big LCD" so do better than projection televisions. You might take a peek in a local Gateway Country store if you have one in your area to see a computer and Plasma screen in action.

We've got a 65" Toshiba projection HDTV here and it still looks pretty bad for games - I haven't tried a PC hooked up to it, but a PS2 and an Xbox both looked pretty bad.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest outtatimeiii

The best you can do with this (if this is a standard TV, not HDTV or the sort) is 640x480. I can only connect a composite (RCA) line to the TV from my computer, and you can hardly read the text on screen. Although it is nice showing off a new game I got on the 32" TV in the other room to others, or watching that really small 320x240 res video, there really isnt much other uses because of the horrid image quality and res. My old IBM PCJr works very well on a TV though at 40 column DOS mode.

Guest Captain Barfbag

If you've got the bucks, try using a projector designed for the PC instead of running the TV signal out and plugging it into a TV set. These PC projectors are expensive (overpriced, but the market is currently small) but still considerably less than even a bottom-end projection TV. A friend at work has one, and he loves it. He plugs his TV cable into a video adapter on the PC, and then projects the signal on to the wall. He uses it for watching TV and DVD's, but the projector would work for flight sim as well.

First of all thanks everybody for the promptly answers.Well, it seems that Projection TVs are not quite friendly of the PCs at all. Even the reports on the HDTV are not satisfatory. Plasma TVs are by far out of my budget. I really can