Sign in to follow this  
Guest soberon

Vertical Sharp Lines

Guest soberon

It only happens in fsx, not fs9. It does not always happens. It comes and goes. And it is annoying. tens to hundreds black vertical lines in bunches together from the ground to high in the sky.It is not vista , as I play in xp. And I didn't have the problem in the past.Anyone please?

Guest PPSFA

Thats a video memory issue, usually following by FS crashing

I used to get that before I went to older drivers.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

did you install Acceleration?My current system cant handle it. I got the black lines (autogen spikes?). I removed Accelerationand I've been fine since.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Video driver is/could be corrupt or incompatible; uninstall - reboot to safe mode - reinstall. If this doesn't fix it - go forward to the latest drivers, and if still not fixed - go backwards to previous drivers.This problem is (almost, he said with crossed fingers) video drivers, as the guys above have said.Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Do you think its more than that? Graphical anomalies like this and floating autogen (etc) have been attributed to video memory problems (not enough). Assuming drivers and hardware are fine, asking for less (cutting back on sliders) can fix this. However, in FS9 I never remember this happening. Asking for too much in FS9 only seemed to decrease FPS, whereas in FSX these graphical anomalies seem to be an additional manifestation of asking for too much. If so, I wonder if FSX is programmed differently than FS9 to get better FPS at the cost of graphical integrity? I would personally, rather have a momentary drop in FPS than these glitches.

Yes, FSX is written much differently then fs9Soberon, What video card do you have? Other specs might help, also.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest soberon

What would be especially helpful, is the information why it SOMETIMES happens, not always. Althought starting in the same configuration, same setting of sliders, same airport, aircraft etc...My hardware must be sufficient as it is all high end especially bought for fsx.

Guest soberon

After googling around it seems indeed, like someone said, that the name for the lines is "autogen spikes"One phrase got my attention in particular as I did not understand itFPS drops to single digits when these spikes appear so the texture de-grade down to lower mip levelsdoes someone can explain? I found it onhttp://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...howtopic=142905where the topic was discussed

Guest soberon

I tried tweaking the fsx.config in order to get a better cpu performance but I got left with small white dots flickering on the edge of the gauges. So I replaced the original fsx.config , that I had backupped, but the dots stayed.

I had gotten that strange grapic problem before I think its a weried bug or something, most likely. I would love to know exactly what causes it but I think its going remain a mystery. and I have in old setup E6600 evga 7800GS CO. 2gigs of ram.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Guest firehawk44
I agree. It has been discussed often over on the Hardware Forum. When it happened to me on my high end system, I lowered some of my scenery sliders and turned off Autogen and it went away. The main setting that affected my system was the top scenery slider, the Level of Detail radius. I lowered it from High to Medium and the problem went away. I turned it back to High and the problem came back. I suspect having your settings turned way up on your video card, plus settings turned way up in FSX.cfg, plus using a commercial aircraft and using commercial scenery will hurt any current system. When you see the spikes, check out your fps and see how low they are getting. The good thing: you can fix this problem.Best regards,Jim

When you see the spikes, check out your fps and see how low they are getting. The good thing: you can fix this problem.Best regards,Jim
What I notice is that FPS is almost normal for the level of detail desired, except that some spikes and floating autogen appear. Then, without changing any sliders, the spikes and floating autogen gets worse until finally, FPS tanks and the are major graphical problems (transparent plane, blank screen, etc). It

I'm not a computer guy so take this for what its worth:In looking at your system specs, it seems you have .9Gig in total video memory but only 2Gig of system memory.I would add another 2Gig. (or jump immediately to 8Gig and just use your Vista64)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I got the spikes when I installed a freeware alternative set of autogen trees. When I went back to the default, they went away.Petraeus

Petraeus