Sign in to follow this  
Guest soberon

Vertical Sharp Lines

I got the spikes when I installed a freeware alternative set of autogen trees. When I went back to the default, they went away.Petraeus
Was the alternative set bigger in size (pixel x pixel)? If its the same as the default, then I cannot see how that would matter. Interesting.

Guest soberon

I also like others have floating building around airports in times when the autogen spikes come to visit. But still , no clue as to why one time they are there and another not.

The others who said it is a video memory saturation issue are most likely correct;and keep in mind it is inconsistent--sometimes it will occur, and other times, no. It seems to be limited to SP2/Accel also, which some of us concluded may be because of the new autogen batching introduced in SP2.There is another recent thread about this. It's been discussed in the last couple of weeks I know, so you may want to search for that thread.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest frontendrob

This is DEFINITLY an unfixed bug in FSX SP2 and there is no definite cure. It goes away when you deinstall SP2 or dramatically lower your settings, which is nonsense on highend systems. What I did, I installed lower resolution Autogen textures. No visual difference, but obviously less load on your VRAM.Don't let anyone here tell you that it is related to your hardware... it can happen to anyone with any system, it is A BUG IN FSX. I get it on fresh installs no matter if Vista or XP, no matter how much RAM, no matter which airport or settings. You will have to fiddle around and try to find a way to make it work. If you can't - thank Microsoft.

Guest Nick_N
It only happens in fsx, not fs9. It does not always happens. It comes and goes. And it is annoying. tens to hundreds black vertical lines in bunches together from the ground to high in the sky.It is not vista , as I play in xp. And I didn't have the problem in the past.Anyone please?
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry485728

This is DEFINITLY an unfixed bug in FSX SP2 and there is no definite cure. It goes away when you deinstall SP2 or dramatically lower your settings, which is nonsense on highend systems. What I did, I installed lower resolution Autogen textures. No visual difference, but obviously less load on your VRAM.Don't let anyone here tell you that it is related to your hardware... it can happen to anyone with any system, it is A BUG IN FSX. I get it on fresh installs no matter if Vista or XP, no matter how much RAM, no matter which airport or settings. You will have to fiddle around and try to find a way to make it work. If you can't - thank Microsoft.
Hmmm...FWIW, with the specs below, and SP2, AI @ 40%, Scenery objects @ max, Terrain max or nearly so, ingame filtering(not because I have too), 178... drivers( system freezes with the new ones) fresh install of Vista 32 , no autogen spikes. I got them before reformat with anything newer than 169.25 drivers. Right now I'm sitting on runway 27 at Heathrow, middle of the day, major thunderstorm, getting wet 'cause I'm in the trike, 26 fps(that's my lock). If I look at the terminal fps goes down, of course. All I mean is that it's hard to speak in definites when everybody's box is so different.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest frontendrob
Hmmm...FWIW, with the specs below, and SP2, AI @ 40%, Scenery objects @ max, Terrain max or nearly so, ingame filtering(not because I have too), 178... drivers( system freezes with the new ones) fresh install of Vista 32 , no autogen spikes. I got them before reformat with anything newer than 169.25 drivers. Right now I'm sitting on runway 27 at Heathrow, middle of the day, major thunderstorm, getting wet 'cause I'm in the trike, 26 fps(that's my lock). If I look at the terminal fps goes down, of course. All I mean is that it's hard to speak in definites when everybody's box is so different.Bob
I'm not saying everybody gets them. But the bottom line of all threads on this and other FSX boards is that it is totally random and there is no known 'fix'. One might be lucky, or find a workaround, but SP2 has this issue and there is no denying it. It has nothing to do with the slider settings.

I'm not saying everybody gets them. But the bottom line of all threads on this and other FSX boards is that it is totally random and there is no known 'fix'. One might be lucky, or find a workaround, but SP2 has this issue and there is no denying it. It has nothing to do with the slider settings.
Have you experimented with your BufferPool setting as outlined in the above-mentioned thread? It may very well solve the problem, as it has for others...

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hey, no problem. I was just trying to figure out why something that is totaly random could be a bug. Especially when(as in my case) I had another problem ( I thought.) But I guess it's SP2 since Nvidia drivers are perfect. :( Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Was the alternative set bigger in size (pixel x pixel)? If its the same as the default, then I cannot see how that would matter. Interesting.
From memory Yes, the alternative set was bigger.Petraeus

Petraeus

Guest soberon

In order to get rid of the autogen spikes, I tried tweaking the fsx.config in order to get a better cpu performance but I got left with small white dots flickering on the edge of the gauges and the small lines that are edges of instruments move . So I replaced the original fsx.config , that I had backupped, but the dots stayed.Does anyone know why that is?

I bought FSX when it first came out and installed it on my "Old Gamer", a 3.2 Ghz P-4 AGP ATI X1950 Pro 512. Right away I could see my 3 year old computer was not going to run this baby. I was running FS9 on XP smooth as silk. Every new issue of FS has tasked the hardware, so I expected this. I bought Vista and installed it on another partition (Dual Boot). Not much help.I bought my new gamer, a Dell 720 H2C. I got it with XP pre-installed and the 8800GTX's with the original drivers. I took NickN's advice, removed the Raid0, installed XP SP3 on the first drive and Vista SP1 on the second drive with only FSX. Installed FSX SP1 when it came out, then installed Accel when it came out. No tweaks, FPS 47 locked at 30, 23 at KSEA. Sliders full right except 10 Mesh Res, water 2low, traffic 70%/Low/20%.The original Vista drivers were junk. Each new version got better, until I got to 169.21 (XP) and 169.25 (Vista)! When I installed 170.xx for XP caused screen corruption in Falcon4 AF. The 170.xx for Vista caused black vertical spikes from trees to sky on external pan and more flashing textures. Rolled back to the 169.21/169.25 and everything cleared up. Every new version has caused the same problem so it is the drivers, for sure, for sure. Installed GEX, a must have addition, with no change. So it is not addons, at least not GEX and addon planes.I sent a problem report to NV but they ignore flight sim problems. The fixes in each new driver never mentions any flight sim fixes. In "Known but not fixed" problems they don't even admit they have any flight sim problems.Maybe if enough of us submit problem reports to NV at least they may admit they have a problem. Lead Pursuit said they could issue a patch to get Falcon AF to work with the new drivers, but they haven't yet. MS plans no new patches. They shouldn't have to issue a new patch for each new driver. This is really hard on the people that have newer cards that can't use the 169.21/25 drivers.Have FunDaveSystem:Dell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 @ 3.73GHz4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D FSB 800MHz @ 1066MHz2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP3 on C: (SATA 0) w/ Internet/AV/Office/FS9/Falcon4 AFVista SP1 on D: (SATA 1) (Dual Boot) w/FSX3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667

Guest firehawk44

"I bought my new gamer, a Dell 720 H2C."I have this system too. Installed Vista 32 and FSX runs much better. I'm thinking of moving up to the 64 bit version but that means wiping out my hard drive and reinstalling everything and I'm not too excited about doing that right now. Kept RAID0 though and have it o/c to 3.73 as you have done. I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed (180.48) and I recommend you get these as they definitely increase fps and make FSX run smoother."Maybe if enough of us submit problem reports to NV at least they may admit they have a problem."I started a thread over in the hardware forum this past year with exactly this in mind in regards to DX10 Preview issues. I asked everyone to submit a problem report and even provided the problem report link and exactly what to state when filling out the form. Not many took the bait and I was a bit disappointed (not too many people venture over to the hardware forum). Even Phil Taylor, formerly from Aces, posted and said it was a good idea. I believe Nvidia is aware of the DX10 issues but for some reason cannot fix them via the video card drivers. ATI has the same issues with their display drivers so it's not just an Nvidia problem. As I stated earlier in this thread (and several others), this spiking problem is NOT caused by the drivers but a memory problem. You'll find that thousands with Nvidia drivers installed do not have this spiking problem. It only happens on some machines when individuals tax their video and system memory (maxing out your sliders in FSX does NOT make the "eye candy" show up better as in many other games). You'll enjoy the game much more when you properly tweak your game AND system. In your case, as a minimum, make sure you have the /3GB switch installed for XP and, for Vista, the "increaseuserva" bcd edit enabled. There are many discussions on out of memory/oom issues so I won't add anymore to this here. OR, upgrade to the 64 bit versions of XP and/or Vista as it manages your memory much better (I don't have personal experience with this recommendation but have read numerous threads stating less memory problems with the 64 bit versions)."I took NickN's advice"This is obviously the best thing you can do and the best recommendation I can give you and you should follow his recommendations made earlier in this thread. Have fun with your Dell system!Best regards,Jim

After googling around it seems indeed, like someone said, that the name for the lines is "autogen spikes"One phrase got my attention in particular as I did not understand itFPS drops to single digits when these spikes appear so the texture de-grade down to lower mip levelsdoes someone can explain?
I have the same problem when I use the '/3GB' in my boot.ini. After I remove it, the symptom is gone.

Guest firehawk44
I have the same problem when I use the '/3GB' in my boot.ini. After I remove it, the symptom is gone.
The /3GB switch will not work effectively unless you have SP2 or Acceleration installed. SP2 modified FSX.exe to allow the app to "see" more than 2GB of memory. You can "hack" the orig or the FSX in SP1 to allow this. The best I can do is provide you the link to an explanation and link to the program that can hack the orig FSX.exe: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89138. Basically you download the program called "explorer" then use it to open up FSX.exe and enable "App can handle >2gb addresses" and save. Then enable your /3GB switch.Best regards,Jim