Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Bell Agusta 609 Tilt Rotor

Who is going to spring forthe Bell Agusta 609 Tilt Rotor from Wilco first? I've used everyone available so far both freeware and payware and have yet to find one that simulates the real thing. All I have tried have horrible pitch changes when transitioning. Looking forward to the first mini review by someone who has taken the plunge. Thanks in advance. Craig

Who is going to spring forthe Bell Agusta 609 Tilt Rotor from Wilco first? I've used everyone available so far both freeware and payware and have yet to find one that simulates the real thing. All I have tried have horrible pitch changes when transitioning. Looking forward to the first mini review by someone who has taken the plunge. Thanks in advance. Craig
Craig,The transitons are fine (nice and smooth), however this aircraft model is harder on my system than the PMDG-747 (which actually runs quite well with my setup) and the rest of the experience is akin to a slide show. It's been installed and already uninstalled. I was flying around KTOL and my framerates were varying from 10FPS to 25FPS(same area PMDG-747 25FPS, LDS-767 25FPS, all other aircraft 30FPS locked and I have many other addon A/C). I have never seen an aircraft model act so choppy. Hopefully an update is soon to follow...otherwise this is destined for deletion. There also was not alot of effort put into the exterior models. IMHO $40 is a very high price to pay for what you get.My recommendation, at present, would be to hang on to your hard earned money.BTW..I'm using the FSX version.

Guest bjablonka
Craig,The transitons are fine (nice and smooth), however this aircraft model is harder on my system than the PMDG-747 (which actually runs quite well with my setup) and the rest of the experience is akin to a slide show. It's been installed and already uninstalled. I was flying around KTOL and my framerates were varying from 10FPS to 25FPS(same area PMDG-747 25FPS, LDS-767 25FPS, all other aircraft 30FPS locked and I have many other addon A/C). I have never seen an aircraft model act so choppy. Hopefully an update is soon to follow...otherwise this is destined for deletion. There also was not alot of effort put into the exterior models. IMHO $40 is a very high price to pay for what you get.My recommendation, at present, would be to hang on to your hard earned money.BTW..I'm using the FSX version.
For me the 747 and 767 are totally smooth. This model has very little chop, however I have a problem with the VC especially the way the AP buttons are. They are just white cubes with no writing writing on it - looks worse than FS 9. In addition none of the buttons actually turn, maybe I just have a faulty installation. BTW, the transitions are totally smooth. Very interesting model.

I picked it up, and took it for a spin. Very pleased with the visual model, not bad at all. Also, very happy with the flight dynamics with the exception of hover in ground effect, and take off. It takes full power to unstick the aircraft for vertical takeoff, but when it unsticks it climbs like crazy. Basically, it acts as if it doesn't have enough power until it unsticks, then acts like it has power in reserve. Which makes it touchy in hover, and very hard to land smoothly. Other than that, it's a joy to fly once airborne. The transition to forward flight and back again is not a problem at all. Slippery bird though, takes time to slow from cruise, plan your approach accordingly!My chief complaint is the panel... Lots of repeated buttons just for looks. For example there are lighting switches on the pedestal, fwd panel, and overhead. I also find the PFD's and MFD's very hard to read at a normal zoom level. IMO they should have spent more time on the flightdeck, and less time making up crazy military models.For what it's worth it is a unique flying experience in FS currently. Worth $40? Ahhhh, not so much, unless you are a fan of the aircraft, or looking for something unique to burn some sim Jet-A in your hangar. :( -Jason Peters E-3B/C AWACS Flight Engineer, USAF

Guest bjablonka

I only got one livery when I installed the plane. Any idea how to get the other ones? I would appreciate your help.ThanksBernd

I only got one livery when I installed the plane. Any idea how to get the other ones? I would appreciate your help.ThanksBernd
Make sure you have the show all variations check box ticked in the select aircraft screen.Also, about my complaint on the flight dynamics...I went into the fuel and payload scetion, and removed the passengers, cargo, and hoist load, and what do ya' know?!? It's fly's a heck of alot better now! I must say I am truley impressed with the flight model now. Really a joy once you learn the profiles! :( So, for those looking into this one, don't forget to edit the payload before flying! :( Also, heads up. The manual says FSUIPC is required, and needs to be installed prior to the TiltRotor. I'm not sure if that is intended for FSX, but I complied anyway just to be safe.-Jason Peters E-3B/C AWACS Flight Engineer, USAF

Guest bjablonka

Duh, I had to reinstall FSX and did not realize that there was no check mark. Do you know if there is a way to get to the payload manager when you are not flying a mission i.e. when you are in free flight? Thanks for your help!Bernd

Make sure you have the show all variations check box ticked in the select aircraft screen.Also, about my complaint on the flight dynamics...I went into the fuel and payload scetion, and removed the passengers, cargo, and hoist load, and what do ya' know?!? It's fly's a heck of alot better now! I must say I am truley impressed with the flight model now. Really a joy once you learn the profiles! :( So, for those looking into this one, don't forget to edit the payload before flying! :( Also, heads up. The manual says FSUIPC is required, and needs to be installed prior to the TiltRotor. I'm not sure if that is intended for FSX, but I complied anyway just to be safe.-Jason Peters E-3B/C AWACS Flight Engineer, USAF
Jason,So far I am unable to take of vertically. Am I doing something wrong?? Any help would be appreciated.Craig

Jason,So far I am unable to take of vertically. Am I doing something wrong?? Any help would be appreciated.Craig
Tilt the rotors fully up, and increase your throttle till you achieve vertical lift.

Guest kulibali
Tilt the rotors fully up, and increase your throttle till you achieve vertical lift.
I am also unable to achieve vertical flight; no matter what angle the nacelles are at, the direction of thrust is always forward.

I am also unable to achieve vertical flight; no matter what angle the nacelles are at, the direction of thrust is always forward.
You need to increase the RPM of the turbo props. To do this increase you must increase your throttle to the point that you begin to lift off and thats it. If you have the nacelles all the way up they actually go alittle past vertical (providing a bit of reverse thrust).

Guest kulibali
You need to increase the RPM of the turbo props. To do this increase you must increase your throttle to the point that you begin to lift off and thats it. If you have the nacelles all the way up they actually go alittle past vertical (providing a bit of reverse thrust).
When I increase the throttle, even with the nacelles all the way up, I just move forward.

When I increase the throttle, even with the nacelles all the way up, I just move forward.
I can't guarantee you, but I suspect that this is caused by not installing FSUIPC first. The gauge that creates the vertical lift requires FSUIPC.Cheers,

There's a 99.99% probability that FSUIPC isn't installed properly.In the FSX menu, you should have an item Addons, with FSUIPC in it.If you don't, FSUIPC isn't working, causing the entire VTOL function not to work....If it does, what's the FSUIPC version listed in it's "general" tab ?RobPS: FYI: due to the nature of these engines, they have a rather long spoolup/down time (i.e. throttle/thrust relation).So use the throttle gently during VTOL operation (and, when hovering, in small in/decreases), otherwise you're constantly over/undershooting the desired acsent/decent rate. When leveled, it takes about 3/4 throttle (N1=90%) for a hover with constant altitude.

There's a 99.99% probability that FSUIPC isn't installed properly.In the FSX menu, you should have an item Addons, with FSUIPC in it.If you don't, FSUIPC isn't working, causing the entire VTOL function not to work....If it does, what's the FSUIPC version listed in it's "general" tab ?RobPS: FYI: due to the nature of these engines, they have a rather long spoolup/down time (i.e. throttle/thrust relation).So use the throttle gently during VTOL operation (and, when hovering, in small in/decreases), otherwise you're constantly over/undershooting the desired acsent/decent rate. When leveled, it takes about 3/4 throttle (N1=90%) for a hover with constant altitude.
Rob, FSUIPC is installed. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled. That was my first thought too. All I can figure out is that it doesn't like Vista Ultimate. I have UAC disabled too. Guess I'll have to try a reinstall of the aircraft. It simply will not take off vertically. Give it throttle and it takes off like a rocket...forward not up. Craig