Sign in to follow this  
MikeAdamo

Wrong runways - FS Meteo, Flightsim or FSUIPC??

Howdy gang,I'm sure many of you have experienced it! On final approach and when handed off to tower you're told to enter left/right downwind for runway xxx. Has anyone ever figured out how to consistantly get the proper runway for landings? I always fly with FS Meteo running and have tried countless settings to try and fix this. I've even tried several settings with FSUIPC - no joy!Anyone have any luck fixing this?Thanks!!Mike

I don't know that I understand your question. There is only one "right" (correct) runway at each airport, the active runway. I believe this can be changed (more active runways added) with addons but I don't have any that do so. The active runway is determined by the wind direction and can be accessed through ATIS. You always take off and land into the wind (or just the opposite, I never can remember which) so if you want a different runway to be active just change the wind direction.

Guest mberg

It may be how you have set the wind change rate in FSUIPC. I had (have) the same problem with activesky wxre. I did not enter any numbers in the check boxes to slow the rate of change. The quid pro quo is that I get wind shear effects as winds change at altitude.

FS2002 will change runways with wind shifts. However, if an AI or User aircraft has already been vectored by ATC to start a descent and approach to a runway prior to the winds changing, your vectoring will continue to the old runway vice the new runway until you contact Tower on final approach. Tower will have already changed to the new runway. This is a limitation in the present FS2002 ATC system.An attempt was made with Active Weather to have the destination airport winds loaded prior to your start of descent. Active Weather default this to 60miles. I recommend changing this to a minimum of 90m to ensure the winds are changed and prior to your descent start.If you watch AI at your local busy airport with active weather, you will observe these limitations. Once an AI aircraft has been assigned a runway for takeoff or ATC assigns an approach for landing, it is never varied.The interesting part is to watch the winds change and have aircraft at opposite ends of the run takeoff towards each other. These incidences usually only occur during really active unstabable weather occurances.

Guest Captain Barfbag

FS Meteo allows you to configure the program to "lock" the weather to the destination airport at a specifiable distance from the destination. You should make sure this option is turned on, and you probably need to increase the lock distance to something like 80-100 nm. It won't always work, but most of the time this eliminates the wind-shift problem for me.I also follow a practice of starting FS, then starting FS Meteo, and then resetting the flight to make it pick up the new weather parameters, which I verify with ATIS before starting. This keeps FS from sending me to RWY 27 while an AI plane from the other side of the airport is taking off on RWY 9.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems I was poking around in the right areas but just not linking them together in the right order.I adjusted my settings in FS Meteo and FSUIPC and will take a few flights to see how things go.Mike