Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rixster7077

Fs9, Fsx Painting Difference

Guest Rixster7077

I'm wondering what, if any, is the difference in painting th textures for each version? I currently reapint FS9 aircraft, and someone has asked me to do a paint for a specific FSX bird..I'm assuming there's not a huge difference, maybe the way the files are saved? I really have no clue...if someone could elaborate for me I'd appreciate it..

I'm wondering what, if any, is the difference in painting th textures for each version? I currently reapint FS9 aircraft, and someone has asked me to do a paint for a specific FSX bird..I'm assuming there's not a huge difference, maybe the way the files are saved? I really have no clue...if someone could elaborate for me I'd appreciate it..
Ussuming there`s not a huge difference is a big mistake, I am afraid.As far as we are talking about FS9 planes used in FSX , it`s all the same except for the file format in most cases.Many of those old models will work in FSX ( NOT in the Dx10 preview mode) when we convert its files to the dds format.They will work but most of the times having problems with transperancy of windshield , not working gauges etc, low performance (fps in Dx9 is lower)Generally spoken , forget about them if you want to use the Dx10 preview mode.Some FS9 models have been overhauled by its maker to be used in FSX , not having this problems and sometimes even working in the Dx10 preview mode.Then we have the special for FSX made models , many of them giving problem due to the fact they were made before SP2 for FSX was launched.Between the models specially made for FSX we have models with the same (old fashioned) texture structure as we used for FS9 using DXT files OR DDS files.Just texturefiles , like Fuse_T.bmp ( with or without alpha ) and nightlightingfiles like Fuse_L.bmp ( generally spoken. )The real FSX texturefile-sets have three different primary files to make the skin en one for nightenlightmentsThe diffuse texture. ( compare with the Fuse_T.bmp )The normal file for the bumpmapping.The specular file for special lights effects ( simply said gloss effects )andThe light files ( compare with Fuse_L.bmp)When doing a repaint for these planes , there is a lot more to do than on a straightforward FS9 repaint.OK it is possible to make a repaint editing just the primary texture and leave the specular and bumps as they are.Not working on the speculars you might end up with some strange texture-effects.Bumpmapping is a whole world on itself and till now I have seen not many impressive examples of it.The bumpmapping of the original FSX planes is very shabby and leaves us with terrible rivets as big as buttons and platelines with the structure of the Grand Canyon.Bumpmapping in FSX can be made in a very realistic way, but is very complicated to do.I explained this all "in a nutshell" and this is not a complete story , to tell it all it would take me some days.Probably thats the explanation for the fact we hardly see any repaints for FSX ( apart from the fact FS9 is still the most used one , due to the fact FSX is demanding such a huge PC-performance.)For years we had many painters making great textures for FS9.These days there are only a few people , seen on a world-wide scale, who really get all out of the potential of FSX , texture-wise spoken.I am a painter myself for many years and starting with painting for FSX , a new era in painting started for me, learning me I know so little.As I said before : Ussuming there`s not a huge difference is a big mistake, I am afraid.It still can be done and there are many planes avaiable , so roll up your sleeves.Keep in mind , concentrate on real FSX SF2 Dx10 compatible planes , there is a chance they will work in future too.Best regardsLeen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints