Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

747 Assumed Temperature Thrust Reduction

Hi,Here is a tragic example of how not to do a reduced thrust/assumed temperature take off in the real world.... http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/...04/a04h0004.aspI have a sim world question for anyone in the know.. I have performed hundreds of reduced thrust/assumed temperature take off's in the 744F using TOPCAT - http://www.topcatsim.com/?page=main - I pretty much always use the lowest thrust setting available except in low visibility or heavy rain/snow and it works well up to MTOW.Last night I was flying online with Vatsim EGSS - EGGP - LFBO on the second leg EGGP - LFBO I fuelled the aircraft with 25 tonnes for the trip ZFW was max and I went through all my normal checks got my assumed temp and v speeds from TOPCAT and punched them into the FMC.I was given clearance to taxi to RWY 27 which is around 8000ft, After a Thompson 757 had vacated I lined up and hit TOGA.Acceleration seemed slower then normal but I assumed it was an illusion due to the short runway and low thrust setting, by the time I was at V1 I was very close to the end of the runway and starting to panic, at VR I rotated and she was responding very sluggish so I hit TOGA again to cancel the derates then another push for max thrust, climb was extremely poor and I'm thinking ##### is goin on?? After the aircraft was cleaned up I get a EICAS msg FUEL X FEED so I check the fuel synoptic and there is 150 tonnes of fuel on board?! Now I'm 100% sure the fuel was 25 tonnes when I started the sim as TOPCAT loads the cargo and fuel and I always check the arrival fuel estimate on the progress page during preflight.Does anyone know what happened? If I was departing on a long haul I would have crashed and burned using those derates and V speedsRob

Rob Prest

I think maybe your problem lies in TOPCAT loading your fuel. I think PMDG say that you should only ever use the utility in the PMDG menu to load fuel into the 744, and never do it by the default FS fuel loading screen of third party programs.

Hi,Thanks for the reply, TOPCAT doesn't use the default fuel loading system, it loads exactly the same as the standard PMDG loader. I and many others fuel the aircraft this way without any issues. The aircraft definitaly had the correct fuel load during my preflight and once the aircraft is loaded the fuel can't be modified by extenal programs (In FS9 at least) So I'm a little stumped..Also want to add it was the second leg so I had to refuel using the PMDG options menu.

Rob Prest

Hi, maybe you taxied over a default fuel station. They refuel the aircraft automatically. You can add an entry to the fs9.cfg to see where this areas are: Go to the [sCENERY] section and add the following entryShowTriggers=1The fuel areas are now displayed with a green cube. To eliminate this behavior open the FSUIPC.ini and set the "StopAutoFuel" entry to StopAutoFuel=Yes (default = no) Jan-Paul

Dude you are a Genius! Thanks mate I completely forgot that flightsim has that feature I'm using a addon scenery for Liverpool so will investigate cheers.Rob

Rob Prest