Sign in to follow this  
C-JEAN

Annoyance when looking at the new files

Lately when I have been looking at the new files in the library, my feelings are more of annoyance rather than those of enjoyment (that is not the right word I want to use, but I am not sure of what word to use). I am so glad that I am not paying for the disk space for this site, as most of the new files are a waste of space. Classic examples are the Photo Realistic Chile files...how many gigs is this taking up and when will it end?!? And how many repaints of the same airline can you have, why do painters feel that we need every single registration in the fleet depicted? And on the subject of repaints, why does every repaint include the model? That is a huge waste of space! People that use AVSIM are above average users of flightsim and chances are very good that the model is already installed on their machines....and they do not need an .exe installer to go along with it. I don't know, maybe I am getting cranky in my old age.

I agree, you're getting cranky in your old age.What I do is scan the new files and if something interests me, look at it and download it if I like it. Pass on those that don't interest me. Very simple and no need to be CRANKY!!

People that use AVSIM are above average users of flightsim and chances are very good that the model is already installed on their machines....and they do not need an .exe installer to go along with it. I don't know, maybe I am getting cranky in my old age. Oh my...I could not disagree with you more and I hope that you were just having a little brain fade.Where there are some above average users of this site, there are also those like me who are novice and maybe mediocre who love this site because we have the opportunity made available to us to get better.Although I may understand your concern about storage space, I have my concerns that one day Tom and the staff may run out of it and we won't have a library with not only the wealth of FREE items of interest to somebody out there who may need it.I think I'm a download junky and I do in fact have mega more than what I use sitting on my hard drive. Before I found this site, I had nothing but default. Heck. I did not know anything thing about models. So I'm glad that there are those that supply the models, because some models are better than others, I think...And I think because I'm still not sure exactly what the model does or how to use it. But where it may not be of interest to me I do know it is necessary in alot of cases for me to be able to fly the plane once I get it installed, and sometimes that's all I may need to do.Then, let 's talk about the history of this hobby we can find in our library. We can also see the growth and development of some of those who graciously let us have their stuff for free You have to admit there is some freware stuff in the library that in my not so important opinion exceeds the quality of some pay ware items that was made available by someone wholearned their craft by making things better the next time they made it. No...I don't think it is wasted space unless it is on my hard drive, but even there, I have seen and had the opportunity to provide a copy of something that may be what was needed by someone else that I just happened to have downloaded from here. I still use FS2002 even though I have FS9. I like it when someone developes something better for 2002. It shows me I'm not alone:-)I need 2002 stuff and I can get it here. And it will be the same for FS9I hope you don't take this as a slam, because it is not intended to be. It is only my attempt to offer an opinion and not personal toward you. If you take it as such, I sincerly apologize.I do agree with you on one thing though...Chile is one heck of a beast!!! But, it's the labor, thought, desire, and skill that goes into that project and many like it that we must applaud and encourage if our hobby is to grow. Who knows? One day we might have to buy the next version because we need it:-)Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)HP Media CenterPentium D 2.80 GHz Duel core2.00 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 6200SEConexant Falcon II NTSCXP SP2

Hello admins. If we ask the question in other words,maybe it could be possible. The question is: Is it possible to show 100 message per page,when we click on READ NEW messages, by default ? Thanks.Blue skies.