Sign in to follow this  
Guest cfgarrod

Md11 Impressions

Guest cfgarrod

Hi everyone, first post, thought I'd report on my first impressions after a week with the MD11.I've enjoyed flying the PMDG 747 in FS9 but waited a few months before getting the MD11. I wanted to upgrade to a new pc with FSX and Vista; reading through the forum it seemed that the main problems I could expect were 'out of memory' crashes and VC head movement. The pc is: dual core 3.33, 4gb ram, 512graphics with Matrox triplehead, 3 4x3 displays, Vista 64bit, FSX with acceleration.After a small problem finding 64bit drivers for the network card everything loaded ok and I set up the tutorial flight LHR-ZRH.The simulation is sensational! So far no memory or any other crashes, the vc head movement is noticeable on acceleration or braking but easily corrected. I have a couple of questions:How do I get reverse thrust? Hitting F2 has no effect.Can someone please explain for a non computer ace how to install liveries? Re a previous post 'both ailerons drooped' this is normal with flaps down, they are also slightly drooped in cruise as part of the campaign to meet the brochure performance...Chris, ex Swissair

Guest Zenra
I have a couple of questions:How do I get reverse thrust? Hitting F2 has no effect.Can someone please explain for a non computer ace how to install liveries? Chris, ex Swissair
Glad you are enjoying the MD-11 - I love it, too.For reverse thrust you hit F2 once and "U/L" will display in the center of the three EPR gauges on the EAD. This indicates the thrust reversers are unlatching. The indication will then change to "REV" in green, at which point you have to press and hold F2 to go to full reverse thrust. When you are sufficiently slowed hit F1 to close the thrust reversers.Hope this helps,Mitchell

Guest cfgarrod

Hi MitchellThanks, that's also what I read in the tutorial, it doesn't work for me but it's probably 'finger trouble'...Could anyone explain how to install liveries? I've downloaded my favourite, opened the file but then everything happened so fast I couldn't follow.Thanks, Chris

Hi ChrisThe MD-11 liveries (from PMDG's website) are self installing files. Just execute the .exe, click through the 2 or so screens and the livery is installed. Make sure you click on Show all variations on the Aircraft select screen in FSX to see your installed liveries.Konrad

Konrad

Referencing your reverser issues, check your yokes throttle calibration. Its probably preventing you from going beyond forward idle. Recalibrate and check it again.

Guest cfgarrod

OK, got the liveries working, thanks for the tip!Re reverse thrust: I'm using a CH throttle quadrant, in control panel > game controllers > properties the 3 assigned throttle lever functions are moving correctly throughout their whole ranges, I can't see how to calibrate them as it's difficult to set a mid point ie there's no spring loaded centre detent like on a joystick. Looking at the thrust levers in virtual cockpit they are correctly shown at idle and engine idle parameters are correct. Hitting or holding F2 still has no effect on my system. All other keyboard commands in the whole game are ok.The simulation is SENSATIONAL! and runs reliably and smoothly on my Vista64 system. I do get some hangups when changing weather or scenery and also have a couple of graphics problems:Instant replay mode (to enjoy the landing from outside) is unreliable and often shows a corrupted aircraft and/or off the side of the runway.If I undock the virtual cockpit view onto another monitor the scenery is there ok but again the aircraft or panels are incomplete.Short of video ram maybe? (System ram is 4gb, video ram 512)Chris