Sign in to follow this  
Guest markr1653

Asx Cloud Layers

Guest markr1653

I was flying with actual weather downloaded with ASX and using FEX for cloud textures when it seems not realistic in terms of the actual layers of clouds that were being reported. The actual conditions were 7 SM visibility, overcast 400. The 7 mile visibility that ASX was generated seemed right, but as I was passing through 400 FT AGL there was no generated overcast cloud layer. I could still see the ground, no clouds until say about 4000-6000 FT AGL. Any recommendations? Maybe I need to change my settings. I've kept everything at default, with the exception of going from 5 cloud layers to 3, due to a significant drop in frame rates at 5. The only layer that was being reported, I believe, was the layer at 400 FT. Thanks, and great product overall. I love flying in real-time weather conditions.

Hi Mark,Thanks for the kind words.In FSX is cloud coverage set to Maximum and 3D clouds set to 100%?What is your FPS locked to?Please let us know.Thanks,

Guest markr1653
Hi Mark,Thanks for the kind words.In FSX is cloud coverage set to Maximum and 3D clouds set to 100%?What is your FPS locked to?Please let us know.Thanks,
I just checked, and Cloud Detail is set to 'Detailed' and cloud coverage density set to 'Maximum'. I hope this helps.

Hi,What are your system specs?What is your FPS locked at?How close are you to a reporting station?What is the METAR in ASX?Thanks,

Guest markr1653
Hi,What are your system specs?What is your FPS locked at?How close are you to a reporting station?What is the METAR in ASX?Thanks,
Sorry I forgot to answer some of these questions previously.Intel Centro Duo 2 4300 1.8GHz O/C to 3.0GHz, 8800GTS 640, 2 GB RAMLocked at 60 FPSI can be right at a reporting stationMETAR in ASX will be something like 33012 2SM OVC007Also, I was trying to fly in rain, low vis, low ceilings, and got just a weird flashing blue screen (cockpit ok). Fraem rates droped to 5 and I hadn't even taken off.

Hi,Lock your frames at 25.The blue flashing my be a video driver issue so that might be where to look for that.Thanks,

Jim, does it mean that you'd recommend to set cloud coverage and 3D clouds to Maximum in the FSX UI and fine-tune the acceptable number of cloud levels (vs. FPS) in ASX only?Thanks,Dirk.

Hi,Correct, but not too low on the cloud layers. Start with 5.Thanks,

Hi,Correct, but not too low on the cloud layers. Start with 5.Thanks,
Got it, thanks. I had them on medium in the game, will maximize now for ASX control.Dirk.