Sign in to follow this  
misgav

External Drive Necessary?

My C drive is where fs9 resides. I have installed addon scenery, payware or freeware, in C as well as D.I'm running out of space. (80GB for each drive)I noticed that as soon as C was over 85% full, fs9 began to be unstable. I had to uninstall some great scenery to bring fs9 back to life! (such as the Netherlands 2000 scenery-29GB!). So if I get a new external drive and use it for space hungry addons will fs9's performance be better/more stable?Eytan OrnsteinIntel 2core duo 4400 2.1 GHZDDR3 2.0GBGeforce 8600GT 256 MBWindows xp sp3

Windows likes to have 10-15% free space on hard drives, otherwise it can become unstable. Looks like you saw this in your FS9 performance.To answer your question, it's hard to say. I doubt it would get any better, might not get any worse.The hardware gurus around here can answer with better specifics, but transfer rates on external HDs are typically less than internals. I believe this would affect startup time more than in-sim performance.One tip I might offer, have you tried compressing your files? If not, find your FS9 folder with Windows Explorer and right click on it.On the bottom of the dialog box should be properties, click on it. Then click on the Advanced button.Check the box to Compress contents to save disk space and click OK.Then click on Apply, then OK to Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files.Then go have dinner, this make take a while, but you will compress FS down to at least half it's size with no impact on performance.You can do this to all your scenery folders too.I learned this tip from David "Opa" Marshall, in his "Tips and Tricks" series which is available in the Avsim library.Thanks Opa.Hope this helps.[edit]edited for spelling[\edit]

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Mmmm... I've heard contrary advice about compressng folders- you are not assured of the outcome. it's a risk I'm afraid to take right now.Mybe the external drive is a better idea. I don't mind the extra loading time at startup.Eytan

I have FS9 on an external HDD and it works fine. I get 30+ fps in the PMDG 737 with AS and FT SEA and MegaScenery PNW-Joseph

Joe Sherrill

Guest belga1

Hello,

Mmmm... I've heard contrary advice about compressng folders- you are not assured of the outcome. it's a risk I'm afraid to take right now
I can comment on this ....Actually in my FS2004 game are compressed the following folders:Addon sceneryAircrafteffectscenerytextureNothing wrong with that ... FS2004 run like a charm and the benefit is the space gained (50%)So ..Size on disk : 69.7 GB Real size (uncompressed) : 129 GBThe full real capacity of my SATA HDD is 120 GB.Regards.XMAS_GS045.gif

Guest rekhraj77
My C drive is where fs9 resides. I have installed addon scenery, payware or freeware, in C as well as D.I'm running out of space. (80GB for each drive)I noticed that as soon as C was over 85% full, fs9 began to be unstable. I had to uninstall some great scenery to bring fs9 back to life! (such as the Netherlands 2000 scenery-29GB!). So if I get a new external drive and use it for space hungry addons will fs9's performance be better/more stable?Eytan OrnsteinIntel 2core duo 4400 2.1 GHZDDR3 2.0GBGeforce 8600GT 256 MBWindows xp sp3
hey there...my suggestion is that u get an external drive...abt 160GB.....it should be sufficent...and if can just format the drive but DO NOT install windows....ur system will than use that drive as a storage area....you can dedicate that drive to fs...not only will u have more space....but the drive will give u a better frame rate because the pc is under less stress.......

Guest ThrottleUp

I would strongly recommend you fit a new internal drive. You can get a 500GB for real cheap these days and 250GB ones for even less. However when you buy storage buy the biggest you can afford. Having an internal has the advantage of speed and its also less likely to get bumped around.However if you must get an external then try and get one with an eSATA connection. This is far superior to USB and will provide speeds close to an internal drive. Read about eSATA here.FS9 and other programs can be run from an external but I feel the best use of such drives is for backup purposes icon1.gif

I would strongly recommend you fit a new internal drive. You can get a 500GB for real cheap these days and 250GB ones for even less. However when you buy storage buy the biggest you can afford. Having an internal has the advantage of speed and its also less likely to get bumped around...
That would be my choice too. I've run FS9 from a 5400rpm external and it was fine but the transfer rate is a bit lacking. I'd take out the 80's and plug in a couple of 500's (or, just swap out one of the 80's). Problem solved the right way.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks especially to OPA this works really well. I'd recommend it to anyone who is running out of HD space.Can anyone explain to me why the installation discs don't install and then compress automatically to save space as performance seems to be unaffected? :(