Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

User Poll - Screen Shot Forum Or Gallery?

Screen Shot Forum or Gallery?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Should AVSIM keep the SS Forum or the Gallery?

• Screen Shot Forum
    • The Gallery
  2. 2. If AVSIM keeps the SS Forum, would you be prepared to host your images elsewhere and link them in here?

• Yes
    • No
    • I want the Gallery
  3. 3. Whether we keep the SS forum or the Gallery, on a scale of 1 to 5, how important is a image system to you (5 being most important)?

Okay, here is your opportunity to influence our thinking regarding the Screen Shot forum and the Gallery system. Please participate in the above poll and let us know what you think.

what is a image system?
Anything that has to do with imgaes, the taking thereof, or the storage of them (in other words, whatever you want it to mean). :(

Tom,I've had a chance to peruse the Gallery and I've decided that it's far superior to the old Screen Shots forum, so I gave it my vote. It's easy to use and far more fun to explore. You also get to see other's images that are not just Screen Shots. All sorts of user pictures are available to view. Very interesting and nice. I see the vote so far is not in favor of the gallery. Hopefully, as people use it and explore it, they will see the advantages it offers. Give it time to settle in.Kim

I too love the gallery but the SS forum is a staple here on AVSIM. It is just so easy to see the threads with the SS forums and what might interest me, then look at the pictures all in one shot and then comment.Can we keep the gallery and have the SS forum with images hosted else where (no more uploading to the AVIM servers?).Do I sound greedy or what!If only one can stay the SS forum got my vote.

Guest Staggerwing
Looks like a walkover for the screenshot forum
I'm thinking they are looking at total number of users as well..... yes the SS forum is ahead right now, but with only 60 members out of 50,000 registered.Not sure what numbers they want to see in order to keep it going.

Hi FolksNot keen on the options. :( Would an alternative be possible ?i.e. Keep both the SS forum & Gallery.Utilise the SS forum for all submissions,but stipulating that posters should host them on 3rd party sites, (imageshack etc.).Use the Gallery only for the cream of the crop,displaying only those of sufficient quality as selected by AVSIM staff,plus commercial submissions,and maybe any competition winners/runners up.Over time you'll accumulate a worthwhile selection.HTHATBPaul

I tend to favor the idea of keeping the gallery, and it would seem to me that you ought to be able to link to gallery pics in the screenshot forum...like this!gallery_109872_20_6711.jpgWould this not be the best of both worlds? :(

Guest abulaafia

I think both gallery and the screenshot forum have their place on a board.The gallery doesn't have the timely aspect of a forum. screenshots are not pictures in a family album you want to flip through now and again. They are not "memories" (for most people at least). Most image forums are simply a way for people to interact with the community ad hoc, like shouting "here I am, look at my cool new aircraft/scenery/whatever". Images could and should be deleted after a short period. Very few people look at shots older than 1 or 2 pages of thread. If they want, they can go to the gallery, where users may want to keep their best shots forever. Avsim should keep both, but change the screenshot forum: get rid of the abrasive warden who tries to enforce outdated rules about size and format of pictures. let people post what they want, linked or uploaded. But let the threads expire (auto-delete) after 2-3 months.. That way you don't have to worry about bandwith and storage, the serious collectors have their gallery, and the screamers their rostrum.