Sign in to follow this  
Guest JimC1702

Khgr - Hagerstown Regional

Guest JimC1702

I uploaded this airport to Avsim and it's on the front page today. I just wanted to mention that every mapping program I found showed the old configuration of the short runway, between I-81 and Rt. 11. After it was uploaded, I heard from a friendly Flight Simmer who sent me pictures and explained that Rt. 11 runs UNDER the new runway and taxiway. Since FSX can't handle that, you would end up with traffic crossing the runway. Apparently there is a way to remove a section of the UTX road and if I figure it out, there may be a version 2 with the correct runway length.Jim

Apparently there is a way to remove a section of the UTX road and if I figure it out, there may be a version 2 with the correct runway length.
I had noticed the problem with vehicular traffic on UTX roads across the Mayport NS (KNRB) ramps and noticed that your scenery eliminated it, so I would think that you already have a handle on this issue. The only problem with a exclude on the road traffic is that it affects a complete road rather than just at the runway.Art

Art

Apparently there is a way to remove a section of the UTX road and if I figure it out, there may be a version 2 with the correct runway length.
Yes, there is. Along with those utility pylons around Grants Pass. I'd be happy to try and help either or both of you, as I've set things up to address UTX issues in the past. Now I just need to remember how I did it, way back then. You can reach me at the Flight1 forums if you want to go further in-depth on this.

Hey Jim, on a side note I wanted to thank you for the KFLL you uploaded yesterday. I installed it last night, looks much better than the default after you got your hands on it. Thanks again for all your hard work on these AFCAD/ADE's.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Some time back, I encountered airport components placed on top of roads that were located by UTX, and I reported these using the UTX reporting tool. In most cases some parts of the airport were mislocated and I was able to move them with ADE. In some cases, traffic on correctly-placed roads passed over runways or taxiways, and at the time I didn't know what to do about it. Later, I learned that ADE can be used to create exclusions for roads and/or vehicular traffic, etc. as well as create landclass polygons. If you are not using ADE for the airport modifications, then I guess the exclusion needs to be created using XML per the SDK.In the case of a road tunneling under a runway or taxiway, I choose leave the correctly placed road and omit the vehicular traffic. You can even add some surface polygons over part of the road and objects to make it almost look like tunnel entrances/exits.

Art

Here is a picture of adding a tunnel experiment for roads under a taxiway at KMCO. A flatten was created 20 ft below the airport elevation at the roads and a bulkhead model (a box) was placed at the appropriate elevation (without textures to try to make it look like a tunnel). Creation of the lowered flatten, placement of the model, etc. were accomplished with ADE. The sloping sides around a flatten are randomly jagged and unpredictable.

Art

Guest JimC1702

That's very cool, Art. Thanks for the pic.Jim

Oh by the way, notice the electrical transmission line towers in the background of the picture. This is another problem at KMCO in FSX. It appears that this was moved underground when the new runway was added, but in FSX with UTX it runs along the side of the runway, still above ground. Fortunately, a utility exclude can be added to remove the towers (included in ADE).

Art