Sign in to follow this  
flyinjoe

Weather Not Rendering Accurately

I'm having trouble with ASX depicting accurate real world weather and I can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong. For instance, today in my area, it's a very clear sky with just a few puffy cumulus clouds. When ASX depicts the weather in FSX, it's doing the puffy clouds accurately, but it's adding a very heavy high level cirrus cloud layer and also rendering an odd solid line that seems to cut into the cumulus cloud layer (See pic just above the right wing).asx.jpgI have unchecked the SkyScape option like I read in another thread, but that's not making a difference. I do use FEX for all my cloud and sky textures if that might have something to do with it, although I never had this problem until I began to use ASX for my weather data. Any ideas on how to eliminate this hard line edge to the cloud layer and why ASX is not rendering my real world weather accurately?Thanks

Hi Joe,In ASX Options and on the right side, lower right, there are 4 cloud option sliders. Move all those to zero and save the options and then see what you think.Thanks!

That didn't work. Here's what it looks like now. From what I can tell, it seems to have replaced the cirrus clouds with cumulus clouds.asx1.jpgFor test purposes, I chose Real World weather from within FSX and got this image. This is actually how the weather outside my window looks and what ASX should be rendering, or at least something similar to this.asx2.jpgFor whatever reason, ASX is not rendering my local weather properly. I have triple checked to make sure the date and time are in synch and as far as I can tell they are, but the weather just isn't close.

This is a guess, but I think what may be happening is that ASX is rendering what i'm seeing when i'm in between stations. As I got closer to a major airport, the weather became what is was supposed to be. As soon as I went well past that airport, the weather again turned to what it looks like in my first two pictures.If this is the case (and i'm not 100% sure it is), is there any setting I can use to make ASX render whatever my current weather is until I reach a new station coverage area? Having this bogus weather pop up between stations is not something I want to put up with. As much as I like how ASX renders the weather when it does it correctly, FSX's built in engine is far superior because it doesn't create this bogus weather between stations. I did try enabling the two options about virtual stations and ehance route coverage, but that didn't help.Sorry to sound so negative, but I am a little disappointed in ASX so far. I thought it would do a better job with the weather than FSX's built in engine does and so far it hasn't. I can't imagine the problems i'm having are the way ASX is supposed to work, so i'm just trying to figure out what's wrong or what i'm doing wrong.

Hi Joe,ASX is programmed to have smooth weather transitions between weather stations and the we accomplish this is by using the blending of weather data from the stations in your flight area. To see if ASX is working properly it would be good to also post a screen shot of the ASX report page along with your FSX shots.You may think the weather is bogus, but it could be that the weather data really supports this output.One setting you might adjust is to set dynamic rate of change to zero.Thanks,

Jim,Just to let you know, I believe I got everything working correctly now. I took a flight today and I never got that weird, bogus looking weather over the entire flight. Was a very overcast day here in my area and it was remarkable how closely my FSX sky looked to my real sky. Not sure what I was doing wrong yesterday, but if I had to make a guess, maybe I just wasn't being patient enough before heading to the runway and wasn't giving time for ASX to load all the weather data.Sorry for being a pest and so negative yesterday.

That didn't work. Here's what it looks like now. From what I can tell, it seems to have replaced the cirrus clouds with cumulus clouds.asx1.jpgFor test purposes, I chose Real World weather from within FSX and got this image. This is actually how the weather outside my window looks and what ASX should be rendering, or at least something similar to this.asx2.jpgFor whatever reason, ASX is not rendering my local weather properly. I have triple checked to make sure the date and time are in synch and as far as I can tell they are, but the weather just isn't close.
flyinjoe, I've noticed your FSX world is very bright. Do you use any texture enhancements for the sky/sun etc?Thanks,Dirk.