Sign in to follow this  
Guest nick46

"Trialware" Menace

I recently downloaded a "trialware aircraft from the avsim library and when I tried to fly it it flew with two cubes on either side which followed the plane everywhere I went. The cubes advertised the name of the site of the maker so one could buy the payware version. A similar poster was in the VC, obstructing half the view outside.I thought this unacceptable and it made me vow never to get or buy any of this maker's products. Further, I thought the downloader had insufficient warning in the desciption text of what he was getting or what he was about to download. I deleted the plane from my PC right away, as it is unflyable in that condition. The maker has his own website where one can buy the flyable version.Note that this is not the usual kind of thing, where, for example, you get textures for a repaint for a commercial product and the descripition tells you "this is so and so for such and such payware item." Not at all. If it had been, I would have no complaint. That is acceptable.What I downloaded here was offensive, deceptive, and masked advertising and downright disrespectful for the downloader, in my view. Cannot this developer present his work in a more correct manner? A freeware file is not the area in which one can sell his own products through the use of cubes and other similar trickery contraptions which fly with the plane in the sky. Could perhaps the screeners of this type of addon, "trialware", force the uploaders to fully describe what is offered in clear terms and not in this unclear and deceptive terminology? I am not blaming avsim as they do a great job normally. I am blaming the uploader, who, however excellent his work may be, is using the file system to advertise his commercial products in an unorthodox manner which costs time and space and wasted energy for all downloaders and the site.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!