Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

A Tank Review? Really?

A tank sim review seems a touch out of place for a site "...where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts gather from around the world!"Surely there is some flightsim-related product that could have been reviewed? Some freeware perhaps? Are we really running that low on material to review which boosts the primary raison d'

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Yes, a Tank Sim might seem out of place in a predominant Commercial/GA Flight Sim fan website, but we have also reviewed Flight Combat Sims, Rail Sims and even a Racing Sim in the past. Of the 800,000 plus readers we have, the sim hobby has grown far beyond aircraft. So with so many sim products on the market, why not expand our horizons and look closer to the ground at other genres.Have we run out of products to review? Far from it. With AVSIM averaging 12-15 reviews per month, we'll have no problem meeting this new standard we have set for ourselves. Please endulge your fellow simmers in having the option of reading reviews of another sim genre.

I wanted to congratulate you for previewing various other simulators. I know that AVsim has been primarily an Aviation site but I like the option to view other reviews as well. I look forward to other reviews of simulators in the future.

Robert,The tag line, at the top of the website reads: "Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World! Flight Simulation's #1 Site!"What I gather fromt his, and from being close to Tom's vision since nearly the beginning, is that AVSIM is about Flight Simulation first and foremost. So while I accept "Of the 800,000 plus readers we have, the sim hobby has grown far beyond aircraft," I would suggest that there are plenty of general "simulation" sites out there who already devote time and enery to reviewing WWII tank games and such. However, our Flight Simulation hobby has plenty of room for further exposure and exploration. For instance, why not a review of Premier Aircraft Design's Mitsubishi MU-2, which was is recenly released freeware? I use that as an example to highlight that, despite a commendable rate of 12-15 reviews per month, there are STILL flight-simulation titles and phenomenon left to discover and review. Why not continue to focus on the essence of what AVSIM is?You are the editor, so it's your call, but my feedback remains: a WWII tank game is probably outsite the pale. I might have the minory view on this one, but AVSIM need not be the "1-stop-shop" for the latest "neato" title to come down the pike, unless, of cousre, that title IS flight-sim related. In any case, if you are going to cross this line, then I would suggest that there are many other off-topic titles that you have missed in the last year alone. So, where do you draw this line? Is there an overarching editorial policy at hand or is it catch-as-catch-can? If it is based on whimsy, then I still abide by my assertion that the core cause of AVSIM is diluted by devoting energy to the review of a tank game.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Robert,The tag line, at the top of the website reads: "Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World! Flight Simulation's #1 Site!"What I gather fromt his, and from being close to Tom's vision since nearly the beginning, is that AVSIM is about Flight Simulation first and foremost. So while I accept "Of the 800,000 plus readers we have, the sim hobby has grown far beyond aircraft," I would suggest that there are plenty of general "simulation" sites out there who already devote time and enery to reviewing WWII tank games and such. However, our Flight Simulation hobby has plenty of room for further exposure and exploration. For instance, why not a review of Premier Aircraft Design's Mitsubishi MU-2, which was is recenly released freeware? I use that as an example to highlight that, despite a commendable rate of 12-15 reviews per month, there are STILL flight-simulation titles and phenomenon left to discover and review. Why not continue to focus on the essence of what AVSIM is?You are the editor, so it's your call, but my feedback remains: a WWII tank game is probably outsite the pale. I might have the minory view on this one, but AVSIM need not be the "1-stop-shop" for the latest "neato" title to come down the pike, unless, of cousre, that title IS flight-sim related. In any case, if you are going to cross this line, then I would suggest that there are many other off-topic titles that you have missed in the last year alone. So, where do you draw this line? Is there an overarching editorial policy at hand or is it catch-as-catch-can? If it is based on whimsy, then I still abide by my assertion that the core cause of AVSIM is diluted by devoting energy to the review of a tank game.
I hear you, but so far you're a voice of one. I will take your comments into consideration when other "sims" are offered to us to review. Yes, there are many titles, freeware and payware out there and we get the majority of them, now if I could only have a staff of about 30 competent reviewers. There are some new Train Sim items coming to our website, as I, like many other simmers, enjoy the open "track", even though it's all VFR, LOL.Should the bosses decide that we aren't All Vehicle SIM, then these other genre's will be put aside. Keep thecomments comming becuase they are all contstructive.