Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Impressions Of Rex So Far...?

Hi,I've been thinking of buying REX but haven't decided 100% yet if it's worth the money. Now that it has been out for some time what are your impressions so far you who already bought it both when it comes to graphics but also the weather engine?I'm currently using Active Sky X as my weather engine and default FSX textures. Used to have FEX but since the promised weather engine still haven't been released and I never managed to get the FEX textures to work in a good way together with Active Sky X I stopped using it but I do miss those very detailed clouds etc.Thanks in advance for your input!

Richard Åsberg

OK......Rex has some teething problems that are causing various issues with some people for whatever reasons.The rex team is working on a Patch/SP1 to address them and is paying close attention to customer feedback. Personally, I haven't had any real problems so far.About the textures.....The clouds are the best I have ever seen, bar none and the other textures are first rate also.The weather engine does have some problems (which are being addessed) that doesn't really effect the basic functioning of it.It works a bit differently than ASX, in some respects better and other, not as good but is is OK over all.Many are using the REX textures with their ASX weather engine for now at least.If you already got ASX the ASX weather enging is stiil going to do you good.However the REX textures are among the very best and the clouds alone are worth the price for some.IMO if you already have ASX and are happy with your textures, there is no reason to get REX at this point.However if you want some great, new enviromential textures (sky, runway, water, lighting, etc) to liven up FSX, REX may be worth it. Overall, I have no regrets about getting REX and it will only get better with the comming updates. :(

I think I'll get it because after looking at both those water and cloud textures it's hard not to ;) and like I said in my original post I do miss the far more detailed textures I had in FEX even though I had problems getting those to work well with ASX and for that reason it's also good to hear REX appearently work well together with ASX.Thanks for your input!

Richard Åsberg

REX and ASX "working together" might be a bit misleading.What some are doing is loading a REX texture theme that they created and then, run ASX to run the weather engine.There is no interplay beween the two apps.BTW, acording to AS, the new, upcoming vers of AS is supposed to be able to utilize the textures of programs such as REX.

Guest -BeNt-

But ASX now will use the textures from REX....it replaces your stock textures. All that ASX does it tell the sim how to use it's textures to display clouds, where to put winds, and what temperature and precip to put in.

Frame Rate Hit?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Frame Rate Hit?
This is what is so unique and admirable about REX - the best looking weather textures with the least fps hit.

Guest Mower

Can anyone verify that ASX will use the REX textures?

I'd go along with what most have to say here, the textures are fantastic and worth the price of admission alone IMO, but the interface/weather engine does have some issues. For me it works great as long as you run the weather engine in the proper steps, and have a long time to wait for the weather to load. Also the flight planner is a little too basic. I run both the ASX engine and REX weather engines, and so far haven't made a decision on which I prefer, but ASX seems to have a lot more options. I would have no problem paying that much for the textures, the clouds are fantastic. I actually got a bigger performance hit using the FEX HD clouds, then with REX at 4096 @ dxt5.