Sign in to follow this  
Bonkster

Imaginesim Kiad & Oom Errors

Ever since installing KIAD from Imaginesim, I've been getting OOM errors when flying to or from the airport... mostly long haul flights to Europe. If I fly to or from the airport domestically (flights under 4 hours) I don't seem to get the OOM crashes (though I do see the memory usage starting to spike)last night, I tried a flight from Europe to the default KIAD just as a test and didn't get the OOM error. Then I re-enabled the Imaginesim KIAD and tried the same flight and BOOM - I got an OOM about 40nm out from the airport.Has anyone else experienced and similar problems with this scenery? Imaginesim did such a great job with the airport and it really disappoints me that I can't seem to complete a flight either to or from this airport. :( Bonk

Guest sgerfen
Ever since installing KIAD from Imaginesim, I've been getting OOM errors when flying to or from the airport... mostly long haul flights to Europe. If I fly to or from the airport domestically (flights under 4 hours) I don't seem to get the OOM crashes (though I do see the memory usage starting to spike)last night, I tried a flight from Europe to the default KIAD just as a test and didn't get the OOM error. Then I re-enabled the Imaginesim KIAD and tried the same flight and BOOM - I got an OOM about 40nm out from the airport.Has anyone else experienced and similar problems with this scenery? Imaginesim did such a great job with the airport and it really disappoints me that I can't seem to complete a flight either to or from this airport. :( Bonk
I'm having the same problem. Contacted Imaginesim and they said they haven't heard of any problems. Probably my system. Do you use AES by any chance. I do and didn't know if that was causing a problem.

40nm is a long way away from the airport scenery and texture files being loaded (they load at something like 5-10nm). Doesn't seem like it would be KIAD causing this as it appears that KIAD didn't have a chance to load and start leaking (assuming it leaks) before you got close enough to it. I've had one OOM event at KIAD thus far, but this one seems to have been caused by ASA. That area however has been known for causing problems in the winter season. There were some bad textures there once upon a time. FS9 SP1 was supposed to have fixed it though.Was your flight to KIAD (the OOM event) flown at exactly the same conditions as the one preceding it? Same plane, route, time and weather? This is really important to rule out any other potential factors.

Guest sgerfen
40nm is a long way away from the airport scenery and texture files being loaded (they load at something like 5-10nm). Doesn't seem like it would be KIAD causing this as it appears that KIAD didn't have a chance to load and start leaking (assuming it leaks) before you got close enough to it. I've had one OOM event at KIAD thus far, but this one seems to have been caused by ASA. That area however has been known for causing problems in the winter season. There were some bad textures there once upon a time. FS9 SP1 was supposed to have fixed it though.Was your flight to KIAD (the OOM event) flown at exactly the same conditions as the one preceding it? Same plane, route, time and weather? This is really important to rule out any other potential factors.
my route was from san juan, puerto rico.. the first time it happened just after landing. the second time was between 30-40 miles out. I have a fresh install that does use UTraffic, UTerrain and flight environment. Only a few add-on payware airports. I have used 3GB switch in past. Did check for errors with FLight Manager. Didn't find any.

my route was from san juan, puerto rico.. the first time it happened just after landing. the second time was between 30-40 miles out. I have a fresh install that does use UTraffic, UTerrain and flight environment. Only a few add-on payware airports. I have used 3GB switch in past. Did check for errors with FLight Manager. Didn't find any.
That second time 30-40 miles out is what keeps me from placing the blame on KIAD. Looks like something else is sapping your memory before you get to KIAD and KIAD just pushes your system over FS9's limit. I used to have OOMs everywhere all the time, ended up removing Ultimate Terrain. As wonderful as this addon is, its appetite for memory is insatiable. Not saying that's the problem here though :)Sorry I can't be of any more help, it's always difficult tracking down OOM problems...it seems like books have been written on the subject and yet there still isn't a simple solution. If you want to run a simple check to see whether KIAD is indeed leaking anything, just fire it up (without any AI or weather) and sit at the gate (or anywhere else you please) for an hour or so with the task manager open and observe memory use. If you see a continuous increase in memory usage over that time, that will tell you the problem is in fact within the scenery.

Several things to look at: duplicate AFCADs, lots of AI, landclass directories with texture subdirectories, complex aircraft in combination with the aforementioned items, Ultimate terrain on top of it all, etc...I recommend our friend the 3GB switch. If you use it be aware that it will cause crashes with AES.DJ

Here we go again, its almost like singing ;)Download process explorer, set it to show Virtual Size and monitor. If it nears 2000mb limit, there is basically nothing you can do about it, except minimize your scenery. You are probably using UT USA and Europe right? And you are probably using WinXP.
That second time 30-40 miles out is what keeps me from placing the blame on KIAD. Looks like something else is sapping your memory before you get to KIAD and KIAD just pushes your system over FS9's limit. I used to have OOMs everywhere all the time, ended up removing Ultimate Terrain. As wonderful as this addon is, its appetite for memory is insatiable. Not saying that's the problem here though :)Sorry I can't be of any more help, it's always difficult tracking down OOM problems...it seems like books have been written on the subject and yet there still isn't a simple solution. If you want to run a simple check to see whether KIAD is indeed leaking anything, just fire it up (without any AI or weather) and sit at the gate (or anywhere else you please) for an hour or so with the task manager open and observe memory use. If you see a continuous increase in memory usage over that time, that will tell you the problem is in fact within the scenery.
And there is a simple solution, Win Vista 64bit with 4GB of RAM and FS9 changed for over 2GB limit.

And there is a simple solution, Win Vista 64bit with 4GB of RAM and FS9 changed for over 2GB limit.
Not when there is, in fact, a leak :) A memory leak will still cause an OOM given enough time, even on a 64 bit system with 4GB of RAM. Running out of RAM due to pushing the 32bit FS9 to its limit is one thing, running out of RAM because there's something sapping RAM is another. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people use "lesser" systems for compatibility reasons. There is software out there that doesn't play nice with 64 bit OSes. Simming isn't everything you know ;) I do however fully agree that if all one does is simming, there's really no reason that I know of against using a 64 bit OS.

Guest sgerfen

I've checked memory.. No where near 2.0.. It's stable at a little over 1.0.. so It's not a leak. It's very puzzling, though. I wonder if it's a bad texture. But like I said, UTerrain is up to date and UTraffic is as well. I can't find anything. The only thing new I've added to the area is Imaginesim KIAD and AES...

I've checked memory.. No where near 2.0.. It's stable at a little over 1.0.. so It's not a leak. It's very puzzling, though. I wonder if it's a bad texture. But like I said, UTerrain is up to date and UTraffic is as well. I can't find anything. The only thing new I've added to the area is Imaginesim KIAD and AES...
With which program did you check the memory usage?

Guest sgerfen
With which program did you check the memory usage?
Use the task manager.. should I use something else?

Use the task manager.. should I use something else?
Indeed. Task manager doesn't show nearly right memory usage. You should use Process Explorer by Sysinternals and set it up to show virtual size. Just google it.

Guest FC5452
Try And Disable AES, And run the same flight, I head of a similar issue like that and AES turned out to be the culprit, Assuming you are running the /3GB /USERVA=2560 switch.

Try And Disable AES, And run the same flight, I head of a similar issue like that and AES turned out to be the culprit, Assuming you are running the /3GB /USERVA=2560 switch.
The switch itself is not the only thing needed. Switch only enables the OS to be "able" to give an application more than 2GB of virtual address space. But that doesn't long mean that the application is itself enabled to use more than 2GB. There is a tool that enables fs9.exe just for that. Don't remember the name. But be aware, using the switch is like using 64bit OS for some applications, meaning, some application might cease working.