Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyPiech

Windows7 And Fsx

Guest TonyPiech

Saw an article in PC Magazine that Windows7 is due to arrive in late 2009. It's believed to be soley a 64 bit OS. I'm currently running FSX with VISTA Ultimate 32 bit, which is giving me memory problems when attempting to fly PMGD 747, ASX/ASG and FSDiscover loaded in DX10 preview mode. I'm wondering if anyone knows if FSX will run in pure DX10 mode on Windows7 or will we need to migrate to FS11? FSX running in DX10 preview is currently a drag when I can't see the yellow taxi-guides or NAV lights on my plane.Tony Piech

Hi,FSX/DX10 will always be a preview because that is what was programed by ACES. It won't matter for Windows 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11.

Saw an article in PC Magazine that Windows7 is due to arrive in late 2009. It's believed to be soley a 64 bit OS. I'm currently running FSX with VISTA Ultimate 32 bit, which is giving me memory problems when attempting to fly PMGD 747, ASX/ASG and FSDiscover loaded in DX10 preview mode. I'm wondering if anyone knows if FSX will run in pure DX10 mode on Windows7 or will we need to migrate to FS11? FSX running in DX10 preview is currently a drag when I can't see the yellow taxi-guides or NAV lights on my plane.Tony Piech
I wouldn't even worry about DX10. FSX looks great without it. Windows 7 won't be more then an update to Vista, so you might consider Vista 64. You didn't get a 64-bit disk with Vista Ultimate?

Guest TonyPiech
I wouldn't even worry about DX10. FSX looks great without it. Windows 7 won't be more then an update to Vista, so you might consider Vista 64. You didn't get a 64-bit disk with Vista Ultimate?
No, I purchased a new Dell 710 XPS computer with VISTA Ulitmate 32 preloaded on the computer. The OS disk provided says Reinstallation DVD VISTA Ultimate 32 bit. Guess I'm stuck, unless I purchase a 64bit VISTA or Windows 7.

Guest nshahzad
Not "just" an update - seems like gains all around. Should be getting the beta copy when I hit the conference, I'll be interested to see what gains are made. Preliminary benchmarks do show some marked improvement though.DX10 - Agreed.It'll be both 32 and 64bit. Only server has made the jump IIRC

Not "just" an update - seems like gains all around. Should be getting the beta copy when I hit the conference, I'll be interested to see what gains are made. Preliminary benchmarks do show some marked improvement though.DX10 - Agreed.It'll be both 32 and 64bit. Only server has made the jump IIRC
The Windows 7 that is out now is a simplified Vista. At the stage it is at it should be faster than Vista is. By the time it gets released... it will be bloated again. I hope I'm wrong, but I know MS pretty good by now.

Guest nshahzad
The Windows 7 that is out now is a simplified Vista. At the stage it is at it should be faster than Vista is. By the time it gets released... it will be bloated again. I hope I'm wrong, but I know MS pretty good by now.
They've learned and realized they are quickly loosing market share. PM changes, along with Sinofsky leading Windows development, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm excited for the developer conference, where we should be getting a copy of the W7 beta. First thing tested with be FSX improvements :(

I'm wondering if anyone knows if FSX will run in pure DX10 mode on Windows7 or will we need to migrate to FS11? FSX running in DX10 preview is currently a drag when I can't see the yellow taxi-guides or NAV lights on my plane.
Tony,Actually, FSX "DirectX 10 Preview" is not a DirectX operating mode. FSX developers call it "preview" because their DX10 FSX implementation is poor, looks like it was made in a rush: has several issues (i.e. graphic glitches) as we know. Poor quality control. So Windows 7 is unlikely to fix these issues. However, a new FSX service pack could fix it... Do you believe? :( -Emerson

Tony,Actually, FSX "DirectX 10 Preview" is not a DirectX operating mode. FSX developers call it "preview" because their DX10 FSX implementation is poor, looks like it was made in a rush: has several issues (i.e. graphic glitches) as we know. Poor quality control. So Windows 7 is unlikely to fix these issues. However, a new FSX service pack could fix it... Do you believe? :( -Emerson
Here's when I believe they'll be another service update for FSX: hell-freezes-over.jpg

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest tmilton
Latest I heard is that it will ship with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.Has this changed?
No, its the same. Microsoft has said Windows 7 will be available in both 32bit and 64 bit. I hear the new OS is supposed be be leaner than Vista, but then again who really knows what the final release will be like. :(

Guest byoungblood
No, I purchased a new Dell 710 XPS computer with VISTA Ulitmate 32 preloaded on the computer. The OS disk provided says Reinstallation DVD VISTA Ultimate 32 bit. Guess I'm stuck, unless I purchase a 64bit VISTA or Windows 7.
Your existing key can be used to install the 64 bit OS. Since you have what is called an OEM key, you will probably have to go to Dell to procure the 64 bit media. Ordinarily MS provides the 64 bit media with the retail copies of Vista Ultimate.If they refuse to provide it or ask too much for it (I wouldn't pay more than $10 plus a reasonable shipping fee) you can try hunting around for an OEM disk from another system. You have a legitimate key that will work with ANY OEM Vista media. One thing to consider is that you cannot perform an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, you can only do a clean install. If the PC included some applications you use and the only way to restore them is off of the OS install disk, make sure you can install those applications separate from Vista before proceeding.

Guest nshahzad
Your existing key can be used to install the 64 bit OS. Since you have what is called an OEM key, you will probably have to go to Dell to procure the 64 bit media. Ordinarily MS provides the 64 bit media with the retail copies of Vista Ultimate.If they refuse to provide it or ask too much for it (I wouldn't pay more than $10 plus a reasonable shipping fee) you can try hunting around for an OEM disk from another system. You have a legitimate key that will work with ANY OEM Vista media. One thing to consider is that you cannot perform an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, you can only do a clean install. If the PC included some applications you use and the only way to restore them is off of the OS install disk, make sure you can install those applications separate from Vista before proceeding.
Try this:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033...ia/default.mspxAnd an interesting articlehttp://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/12/1...erformance.aspx