Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyPiech

Windows7 And Fsx

Guest nshahzad
Unless Microsoft has changed their OEM OS licensing, he may not be able to order media that way. Usually the keys found on your PC will not work with retail media, or at least it wouldn't with previous versions of Windows.
Oh, oops, didn't see he had OEM.

Vista media is all identical, all 32bit versions of Vista are on one disk and all 64bit versions are on another and that includes OEM. Obviously the likes of Dell and HP have there own custom images with all the other crap they stick on there too. It is the key that determines which version of Vista is installed NOT the media.

Cheers, Andy.

No, its the same. Microsoft has said Windows 7 will be available in both 32bit and 64 bit. I hear the new OS is supposed be be leaner than Vista, but then again who really knows what the final release will be like. :(
Leaner than Vista, you mean it'll be like XP.I have Vista on a new laptop that I bought and thank goodness I don't play games on that thing. Vista is garbage and I still don't see a compelling reason to upgrade my other machines. I'm just not willing to take the 33% performance hit on games. I wonder if Windows 7 will give me that reason to upgrade. I pretty much doubt it.

Guest nshahzad
Leaner than Vista, you mean it'll be like XP.I have Vista on a new laptop that I bought and thank goodness I don't play games on that thing. Vista is garbage and I still don't see a compelling reason to upgrade my other machines. I'm just not willing to take the 33% performance hit on games. I wonder if Windows 7 will give me that reason to upgrade. I pretty much doubt it.
33% figure is garbage, is mainly from vista beta 2 benchmarks. Too many people are ill-informed and ignorant about the state of Vista. Such poor performance was due to cruddy drivers.http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558...2129TX1K0000532
It's clear that driver issues in Windows Vista have been largely ironed out, as the five to 10 percent performance drop compared to Windows XP is virtually gone...The other game tests were so close, you wouldn't know which OS you were seeing without the chart labels!
This is from May 2008.

33% figure is garbage, is mainly from vista beta 2 benchmarks. Too many people are ill-informed and ignorant about the state of Vista. Such poor performance was due to cruddy drivers.http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558...2129TX1K0000532This is from May 2008.
I see. So what you're saying is that I could shell out 200 bucks to get the same performance I'm getting from XP. Interesting, but not a compelling reason to buy a bloated crappy OS like Vista. Don't get me wrong, Vista is probably a fine OS for computer newbies or people migrating from a Mac or something, it's just not for me. If there was an easy way I could wipe it off my laptop and install XP, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Guest nshahzad
I see. So what you're saying is that I could shell out 200 bucks to get the same performance I'm getting from XP. Interesting, but not a compelling reason to buy a bloated crappy OS like Vista. Don't get me wrong, Vista is probably a fine OS for computer newbies or people migrating from a Mac or something, it's just not for me. If there was an easy way I could wipe it off my laptop and install XP, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Using Vista or XP, personal choice, but I was only suggesting that if you're going to pull statistics, then pull proper, informed ones. Vista is no more bloated than XP, it handles memory much differently, with much more "finesse", and when people understand the way memory and resource usage is handled in Vista vs XP, then you'll see it's much faster than XP on many fronts. It comes down to being informed.

Guest byoungblood
Vista media is all identical, all 32bit versions of Vista are on one disk and all 64bit versions are on another and that includes OEM. Obviously the likes of Dell and HP have there own custom images with all the other crap they stick on there too. It is the key that determines which version of Vista is installed NOT the media.
The poster's issue was that Dell did not include the 64 bit media with his system. But it is the MEDIA that determines the version of the OS you install on your system. You use the same key regardless if you're installing 32 bit or 64 bit Vista. Granted, my copy of Vista was obtained through an MSDN subscription, but I obtained a key for Vista Ultimate and then downloaded the 64 bit media. I could have just as easily downloaded and installed the 32 bit version if I chose, but my whole purpose for installing Vista was for the 64 bit OS.

I presume you didn't read my post fully then as I did say that the disks are different for 32 and 64 bit builds of Vista. It still doesn't change the fact that all 32 bit versions from OEM to Ultimate are all on the same disk and the key decides which version of Vista is installed whether its a 32 or 64 bit disk, and by version I mean OEM, Basic, Home, Business and Ultimate, there has never been any kind of restriction with the keys as far as 32 or 64 bit, MS don't care which you use.Microsoft only include the 64bit media with Ultimate, any other Retail version you have to send off for the disk, there is a leaflet inside the retail packaging explaining how to go about it. The only cost involved is to cover postage.

Cheers, Andy.

Using Vista or XP, personal choice, but I was only suggesting that if you're going to pull statistics, then pull proper, informed ones. Vista is no more bloated than XP, it handles memory much differently, with much more "finesse", and when people understand the way memory and resource usage is handled in Vista vs XP, then you'll see it's much faster than XP on many fronts. It comes down to being informed.
Well thank you for updating my information. I was referencing tests done about a year ago by Tom's Hardware that showed out of the box Vista was 33% slower for games. That along with first hand experience using Vista is what formed my opinion on the OS so I didn't bother to continue to check on Microsoft's progress resolving their performance issues. It's nice that they finally fixed their OS several years after release, but I'm still not buying it.

Guest byoungblood
I presume you didn't read my post fully then as I did say that the disks are different for 32 and 64 bit builds of Vista. It still doesn't change the fact that all 32 bit versions from OEM to Ultimate are all on the same disk and the key decides which version of Vista is installed whether its a 32 or 64 bit disk, and by version I mean OEM, Basic, Home, Business and Ultimate, there has never been any kind of restriction with the keys as far as 32 or 64 bit, MS don't care which you use.Microsoft only include the 64bit media with Ultimate, any other Retail version you have to send off for the disk, there is a leaflet inside the retail packaging explaining how to go about it. The only cost involved is to cover postage.
I think I just mis-understood the way you were putting it. It made it sound as if you needed to obtain another key for 32 bit Vista if you already had one with a 64 bit install.

Guest D17S
Saw an article in PC Magazine that Windows7 is due to arrive in late 2009. It's believed to be soley a 64 bit OS. I'm currently running FSX with VISTA Ultimate 32 bit, which is giving me memory problems when attempting to fly PMGD 747, ASX/ASG and FSDiscover loaded in DX10 preview mode. I'm wondering if anyone knows if FSX will run in pure DX10 mode on Windows7 or will we need to migrate to FS11? FSX running in DX10 preview is currently a drag when I can't see the yellow taxi-guides or NAV lights on my plane.Tony Piech
There's no need to run FSX in DX10 mode. Running in DX10 mode will not help (or hurt) your memory problem. The fix to the memory problem is to install a 64bit op system now. With FSX/SP2 and Any 64bit op system (XP or Vista), the memory problems will go away.

Guest learn2fly

Just installed Win7 32 bit client and it improved my FSX and Acceleration pack. They run much faster at a higher res than before, i just recently did a clean install of XP home to clean away viruses and such crap. I used to use alacrity pc to shut down winxp services to run fsx and acceleration better when i used XP. Win 7 is much improved, i think especially for less powerful computers. FSX runs much better on Win7 than a clean xp install. The only issue i have faced, is that now it won't activate, i think it thinks that the xp installed FSX and Acceleration is too many activations, on my recent XP reinstallation? Because FSX activated, but not Acceleration. Now both are not activated, i have a half hour limit to play. Even though i have bought 3 copies of FSX (one was stolen)(and I still have 2 copies of FSX) and 1 copy of Acceleration.