Sign in to follow this  
oqvist

Dcs: Black Shark

I started to post something here a few days ago about DCS:BS, but this forum is pretty dead. Good on ya for stepping into the void 8^).I have it - in fact I have both the Russian version and the English version, which I'm not real happy about. I bought the R version last week and the DAY AFTER THAT they released the E version, which wasn't supposed to be out until late Jan or so. Oh well, I guess it's good to support the company.All whining aside - I have spent several hours in the sim, and I can tell you that there has never been a helicopter sim (available to the public anyway) that has so much depth and detail. As I told a friend recently, it makes Longbow2 and EE-CH look like Nintendo Entertainment System games - and back in the day I was just so impressed with LB2's depth.In fact, I have to say that BS is almost too complex - and I never thought I'd hear myself say that!! Just getting the dang thing started is quite the exercise. Fortunately they provide "cheats" for startup and shutdown.I had to spend a lot of time (too much) getting my CH Products stick/throttle/pedals set up - the default assignments were completely wrong (however I'm using CH Control Manager's Mapped Mode which I think confused BS), but now that that's done it's working reasonably well. Sometimes the aircraft does things that I am not inputting, but then I won't suggest that I have more than about 50% understanding of everything that's going on yet. The autopilot and trim systems are still a bit mystifying to me. I am still getting my button and hat assignments sorted.Like almost everything else in BS, I'm still ramping up my understanding of the various systems, but if I am grokking the weapons system properly, it's a fairly manual system in that you have to slew the targeting camera around and establish a lock on a ground target. This is pretty difficult to do if you're manually flying the ship, and right now I can't imagine doing both at the same time in the heat of battle. Hopefully I'm missing something here. (Note that BS does not have air-to-air missiles, so you'll be going "guns guns" against air targets for the most part).In the end - I swear to all that is holy, if a guy could master this sim, I am certain that he could strap into a real KA-50, get it started, get it flying (assuming he knows how), and go blow a bunch of stuff up with aplomb. There are very very few systems that are not at least partially modeled. Frankly I'm surprised that Kamov (apparently) cooperated with DCS to "allow" the level of detail that is present.Note that BS does have a "Game" mode, which greatly simplifies the avionics and weapons systems (and optionally, the flight model). I recommend starting out in Game mode, rather than dive into the Simulation mode as I tried to do initially.There is supposed to be a demo out soon. The forums on the DCS site can provide you with more info should you want it, and the manuals are downloadable.cheers,Dave.

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

As for controls I have CST pedals but they have separate axis so I can

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

re: CST pedals - why won't BS recognize them? I have a fairly complex CH Products setup, but BS recognized all of my devices (although it did mis-map most stuff, which was straightforward to fix). you should be able to assign any axis of any device you have connected to any axis-controllable parameter in BS.re: real mode - I think you'll find it to be quite eye opening. It's nothing like Game mode - it's far far harder to deploy the weapons (and hit something), and I am actually starting to think that I don't have the time to invest in this sim to really get the most out of it.cheers,Dave.
It did find them now I noticed... apparently you had to plug in the usb cable. Really weird ;).But I can

It did find them now I noticed... apparently you had to plug in the usb cable. Really weird ;).But I can

Update: I have spent quite a few more hours in Black Shark, and I am now able to, most of the time, hit a stationary or moving ground target. I still can't believe that real world Ka-50 pilots can do all of this while trying to keep the aircraft upright, and in fact I found some information last night that indicates that IRL the Ka-50 pilot depends on other aircaft identifying and designating (via laser?) targets. In other words, the simulation is actually harder than what the real-world Black Shark pilot would have to deal with in most cases.That all said, I am still totally impressed by the fidelity of this simulation. They're doing the A-10 jet next, and if it's anything like this it will be awesome too :( .I am starting to investigate the multiplayer mode; a friend is ramping up and I hope we can fly some co-op missions soon.dos vadanya,Comrade Blave.

Update: I have spent quite a few more hours in Black Shark, and I am now able to, most of the time, hit a stationary or moving ground target. I still can't believe that real world Ka-50 pilots can do all of this while trying to keep the aircraft upright, and in fact I found some information last night that indicates that IRL the Ka-50 pilot depends on other aircaft identifying and designating (via laser?) targets. In other words, the simulation is actually harder than what the real-world Black Shark pilot would have to deal with in most cases.That all said, I am still totally impressed by the fidelity of this simulation. They're doing the A-10 jet next, and if it's anything like this it will be awesome too :( .I am starting to investigate the multiplayer mode; a friend is ramping up and I hope we can fly some co-op missions soon.dos vadanya,Comrade Blave.
You are ahead of me then lol. I just can

You are ahead of me then lol. I just can