Sign in to follow this  

Normal traffic movement at JFK

Hello all, I was wondering if any of you folks around JFK would take the time to share the typical take-off and landing runways with me. I'm hoping to gain info to make my TOs and LNDGs at JFK, which is my VA hub, more 'as real as it gets.' I can share the typical SFO goings-on with you. With the typical wind out of the west at SFO, most take-offs are from 1L & 1R, landing into the wind using 28L and 28R. Heavy aircraft will normally use 28R for take-off and those aircraft going to the far east will use the westerly runways for departures. The only aircraft that I've been on that used 28R for departures were DC-10s (going to HNL) and 747s (going to the UK,) typically everything else used 1L or 1R, those aircraft being 737s, 757s, A-319s, 320s, 321s, CRJs, ERJs and Brazilias. My guess would be that JFK would use a set of parallels for take-off and the other set for landings. I'm out here on the west coast and have tried to find JFK ATC on the internet but have not been able to find it, most links to JFK tower are broken links. If you would kindly let me know what the typical goings-on at JFK are, I'd be very appreciative. Bill Trinidad, Cameron Park, California

In the late afternoon, landing approaches were almost directly over my childhood home (Franklin Square, NY) about every 5-10 minutes.

In the late afternoon, landing approaches were almost directly over my childhood home (Franklin Square, NY) about every 5-10 minutes. This lines up with R22.

Bill,I will give you my observations from having worked in a building on JFK across the road from the blast fence at the end of RWY 13L and living at a point where I can see them on final to RWY's 22R and L.When they would use R13L for landings there would be almost no takeoffs so I assume they were using 13R for most of them. When they used 13L for takeoffs there would be almost no landings so I assume they used 13R for them. Also, from the window I sat next to I have seen them use both 13L and R at the same time for landings. I had a view that allowed me to see the final turn of the "Parkway Approach" and sometimes they came my way and sometimes they tightened the turn and landed on 13R.When they use RWY's 22 for landings they come in on both at the same time so I don't know about takeoffs as I can't see that. I hope that helps.maxsdadhttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Takeoffs (usually)-13R/31L (with a Breezy Point or Bridge or Canarsie or Gateway climb)/4L/22RLandings (usually)- 13L (using the infamous CRI VOR approach, sometimes right as well)/31R/22L/4R (JFK's only CATIII capable RWY for now).

Eric 

Yes sir, thanks, this one works, thanks for all the replys.

Guest Marc Sykes

I've flown in and out of there twice since I started learning about all this stuff, and I'm 99% sure that both times we used 31L for takeoff and 31R for landing.Marc