Sign in to follow this  
krishcanag

Where To Install Fsx In Vista 64 Bit

HelloI have been told by level-D forum that vista can interfree with operation of FSX and the best place to install FSX in not in the default C:\x86\Program files\..... but make a dir C:\FSX and install everything to do with FSX in there. Is this true? will you gain any fps by doing this?On a 2nd point; what options does one have to increase fps other than;1. any setting within the display setting of FSX2. Shutting down all unwanted programs except internet security (unless I want to unplug my LAN)3. Defreg disk4. Deactivated UAC in vistaMy system isgigabyte EP45-DS4E8500 O'clk'ed to 4.1GHz4G Dominator RAM running at 1032MHzSamsung 750GB HDD, Vista installed on 200GB partitionXFX 260GTX 898MB GPUTraffic X set at 69%FS GlobalLevel-d 767PMDG 747At approaching heathrow to land in Level-D 767 fps is 10 - 20Moving around after flight at heathrow around 7 - 20 fpsAt cruise 24000, 35 - 45fpsI find anything below 28fps about I dont like it that much so any suggestions are well.thankskrishan

Level-D forum is correct. You will not gain fps, but it will be easier to alter files. Your fps seems about right for your rig. Amount of AI traffic really affects my fps.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Level-D forum is correct. You will not gain fps, but it will be easier to alter files. Your fps seems about right for your rig. Amount of AI traffic really affects my fps.Bob
sorry when you say alter you mean give full control to installed directory in c:\x86....\flight simulator ?krishan

On a 2nd point; what options does one have to increase fps other than;1. any setting within the display setting of FSX2. Shutting down all unwanted programs except internet security (unless I want to unplug my LAN)3. Defreg disk4. Deactivated UAC in vista
Install the latest NVIDIA video driver (180.48) for Vista/64:http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_180.48_whql.htmlalong the latest DirectX redistributable (November 2008) :http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enYou might get performance improvements.

sorry when you say alter you mean give full control to installed directory in c:\x86....\flight simulator ?krishan
No, he means it will be easier to manipulate FSX files if they are installed outside the x:\Program Files(x86) folder. By default the Program Files folders are heavily protected under Vista. Messing around and changing permissions on those folders could have some unpredictible results especially for other software. As stated above its best to install FSX into its own folder (or a seperate drive for that matter) which resides outside of the Program Files (x86) folder.