Poll: Xp Or Vista For Fs9

XP or Vista for FS9  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Please select in which OS are you flying FS9:

• XP32
    • XP64
    • Vista32
    • Vista64

Please select appropriate, I would really like to know what's used the most today, since Vista has been on the market for a longer time now...

Wow, I'm surprised at the number of people still running XP32!EDIT: FS9+XP32, man, we are a conservative lot!!! :( :(

XP32, mostly because I have zero reason to upgrade. I recently reinstalled XP clean on my PC and everything is running great. As long as you keep XP clean (don't download any garbage) it is rock solid. I always wonder why some people feel the need to run right out and upgrade? I use Vista on my non-gaming laptop (just web and e-mail), but I doubt I'll ever put it on my "gaming" rig. I suppose if I buy a new PC I may consider Vista (as it will probably be pre-installed), but I'm in no rush to do that. My current PC runs fs2004 very well and I have no need to mess with that.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Yup, I'm also in the vast majority.The only reason I thought of upgrading to a 64 system is the known OOM problem.But since I made a lot of repair and tweaking, plus I got rid of two of my three heavily OOMing addons, I've been peacefully flying till now.And so it will be. No need for Vista.Best regards,Rafal

Yeah, add me to the XP32 crowd. I've thought about upgrading to Vista, even have it on my work laptop, but found it to be a sluggish resource hog, no matter which way you slice it (granted, it's a subjective point of view). Suffice to say, I haven't seen the need to upgrade to Vista, simply because it doesn't add anything of value as far as I'm concerned. My minimal XP install on my FS/gaming rig does everything I ask of it just fine and there aren't enough DX10-supported games out there to force me to make the switch, especially since most titles look quite good in DX9.

I also use XP32. I format once a year and on the next format I'm switching to Vista 64 for my FS9 OS.

You know, I "was" the one that Voted Vista32, because that is what I have been using for last couple of months. Though, now, yesterday, returned to XP. Why?I have been observing some really weird behaviour with Vista. My first thought were, that after the switch, I had a better memory management, because some flights didn't crash. Though, through the time now, I had actually more crashes than in XP. I don't really know why this is happening, by FS9 tends to freeze. Sound continues, but picture is frozen, no error from OS. Sometimes memory usage is high, sometimes pretty low (even around 1,1GB).Those freezes are really annoying, even happened on a very short flight (below 30min) in South America, where I only have FSGenesis as mesh installed. No sceneries or anything.Also very funny thing, running Filemon under Vista results in some application crashing so badly that you can't even close it with the Task Manager.I don't remember that happening in XP, so I am returning, and I will confront my OOM errors some other way.50 users against 10 is for me a reason enough.Thought of giving Vista a change, but the fact is, I always liked XP better ;)

Wow, I'm surprised at the number of people still running XP32!EDIT: FS9+XP32, man, we are a conservative lot!!! :( :(
We're not all that conservative ... we're just smart! :( Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Ocala 1

I have a DELL Inspiron 531, 4gb RAM. I irenstalled Vista Ultimate the first day i had the computer which eliminated all the Microsoft programs that came with it. I then installed FS9 and have never looked back. WinXP was just fine, never had any problems with it nor have I had one bit of problems with Vista Ultimate. I have never had a crash of any type. I have AURAN Trains, CFS3 updated to OFF and all work perfectly. I DO NOT have a bunch of crap scenery installed. Just last night I installed a piece of scenery for CYYR and found it contained a AFCAD that was full of errors, terrain that my helicopted dropped right thru up to the windshield in numerous places. I no longer have the scenery on my computer. I think people are blaming Vista for errors that are caused mostly by bad scenery that they have downloaded. One good example of this is downloading scenery that doesnt work properly with other scenery that they have already downloaded. Downloading a aircraft that has bad texture problems is another example. Instead of deleting the aircraft people blame the operating system that they are using. I think Vista is getting a very bad rap by people that dont use common sense when using FS9 and/or their computer. I have well over 100 AI aircraft flying all over the place, aircraft that i installed using TTools. I use CCleaner amd Spybot daily and I defrag weekly. Home come im not having all the troubles you people are having with Vista? Refering to Vista as trash is just plain wrong.Harold

Guest blazingcessna

I have built about 25 machines this year. None of the XP32SP3 systems had any problems. XP64SP2 has teh normal amount of compatibility issues, but there are patches and fixes for the majority of the problems.Vista...Lets just call it Winblows virus. Of the 20 systems built with Vista as the OS, all of them have called and had me revert them to XP.As far as for Win7 it is only a upgrade to virus. Since virus is flawed at it core, I will wait for Win8.

I have a DELL Inspiron 531, 4gb RAM. I irenstalled Vista Ultimate the first day i had the computer which eliminated all the Microsoft programs that came with it. I then installed FS9 and have never looked back. WinXP was just fine, never had any problems with it nor have I had one bit of problems with Vista Ultimate. I have never had a crash of any type. I have AURAN Trains, CFS3 updated to OFF and all work perfectly. I DO NOT have a bunch of crap scenery installed. Just last night I installed a piece of scenery for CYYR and found it contained a AFCAD that was full of errors, terrain that my helicopted dropped right thru up to the windshield in numerous places. I no longer have the scenery on my computer. I think people are blaming Vista for errors that are caused mostly by bad scenery that they have downloaded. One good example of this is downloading scenery that doesnt work properly with other scenery that they have already downloaded. Downloading a aircraft that has bad texture problems is another example. Instead of deleting the aircraft people blame the operating system that they are using. I think Vista is getting a very bad rap by people that dont use common sense when using FS9 and/or their computer. I have well over 100 AI aircraft flying all over the place, aircraft that i installed using TTools. I use CCleaner amd Spybot daily and I defrag weekly. Home come im not having all the troubles you people are having with Vista? Refering to Vista as trash is just plain wrong.Harold
Ocala, you are being lucky to have no problems, really! Its a funny thing though, I found a combination with just couple of addons that crashed my FS9, EACH time. All those addons are payware, a very well known payware, and I was greeted each time with an OOM error when I landed.