Sign in to follow this  
fablarto

Airport Grass Textures

Is there anyway to improve the resolution of airport grass textures? I know that this is certainly possible with add-on scenery, but what about for standard airports? I bothers me that the resolution is so low - fine when at 30,000 feet, but absolutely horrid on the ground. Might this be the problem? - that the same ground textures are used for airports as are used for other ground scenery that is generally viewed from higher up?Cheers,Alden

FS9 uses the terrain display system for airport backgrounds. The textures for this are designed as 4.8m per pixel resolution. You need custom scenery that doesn't use the terrain system to get higher resolution.scott s..

Search for PicNic 1.0 in the AVSIM dowloads. It makes a nice improvement to the default textures, but can place a hit on your frame rates.

Guest magnum_force
Search for PicNic 1.0 in the AVSIM dowloads. It makes a nice improvement to the default textures, but can place a hit on your frame rates.
Hit on frame rates to be sure. Nice crisp grass textures would look nice at airports and it can be achieved in PSP or Photoshop, but it will hurt your FPS. I am sure aces at Microsoft had this in mind, even as far back as FS2002. Even now, you can still cripple even FS2002 with enough detailed scenery and AI on a newer computer.

thanks! i'll give it a try. i just upgraded to a new machine, so maybe it can handle it with fs9. for the first time EVER, frame rates aren't a problem! we'll see how much damage picnic does...-alden