Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gander

Want a Boeing 314 -- but maker is defunct

Guest Gander

I'm a newbie, so please excuse this if it's a dumb question, but can someone advise how I can add a Boeing 314 seaplane to my FS2004 program? I've found the desired plane athttp://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...r=&DLID=&Page=1Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Aircraft Repaints, Textures and ModificationsPan Am Boeing 314 Yankee Clipper File Description:Repaint of Mike Stone's Boeing 314 as Pan Am's Yankee Clipper. The Yankee Clipper served in the Trans-Atlantic operation from 1939 to 1943. Textures and tidbits only. Requires Mike's original aircraft available at www.pmstone.com. This aircraft is depicted early in its career. Filename: paa_yc.zip License: Freeware, limited distribution Added: 8th February 2005 Downloads: 858 Author: Wayne Tudor, Dale DeLuca Size: 1321kb But when I go to www.pmstone.com to get the *origional aircraft* I find the web site is closed. Am I just out of luck, or is there some way to get this airplane? If I'm not too choosey about getting the Pan Am repaint is there some other version of the Boeing 314 available -- perhaps one that people feel is even better than Mike Stone's?Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi,Yes there is! actually the avsim link you are mentioning makes reference to it. Its the payware Pilot's Boeing 314 Clipper available from b314clipper.com.RegardsAntonio Lapa Gomes

Guest Gander

Thanks, Antonio, now I see it -- your help's much appreciated!

Guest 4deucer

Your lucky night tonight. This aircraft is available as freeware fromhttp://www.calclassic.com/b314.htm. You'll find yourself spending some time at calclassic---it's one of the premiere sites for classic commercial airliners.Enjoy!4deucer

Guest Gander

Thanks, 4deucer!It's not just my aviating skills that are 1930's vintage, so is my computer knowledge. When I saw the website for the plane's designer, Mike Stone, was defunct I didn't realize the other outfit,Simviation, would offer Stone's plane as freeware.I certainly don't mind paying for an add-on program (that's got to be an AWFUL LOT of one's and zero's for 40 bucks or so!) and I think maybe I'll get both versions of the Boeing 314: the "Pilot's" pay version and "Simviation's" free one. I have more than a half-dozen free and pay versions of the DC-3/C-47/R4D etc., and I definately like flying some more than others.My stepson and other nice kids have downloaded all my planes for me so far -- the Boeing 314's will be my first try at doing it myself. But I found a video that's supposed to tell you how at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27DbBcUeqHo...related&search=so I'll have a try at it.The Calclassic site looks fascinating, with that knockout homepage photo of the Stratocruiser. I have fond childhood memories of trans-Atlantic flights in them. But as much of a mechanical nightmare as that airplane must have been in real life, I think I'll stay with flightsimming the simpler stuff for now! I'm still kind of doubtful about this whole new notion of putting cowlings around engines: seems a tad newfangled and dubious to me.....Thanks, both of you, for your generous help. If you soon hear heavy impacts and tortured screams it means either I've downloaded the planes successfully and you're hearing my passengers during my first few landings, or else I haven't gotten the downloading to work properly and you're hearing me doing some "fine tuning" of my computer with a tire iron!

Guest Adrian Wainer

I see that you have got the info on how to get Mike's base aircraft, so I thought you might like some scenery, appropiate if you are running Pacific flights to Hawai.From the Avsim libraryFilename: cc8ghf.zip License: Freeware Added: 18th August 2005 Downloads: 9506 Author: Lynn and Bill Lyons Size: 13854kb File Description:This package will take you back to prewar Hawaii when it was a peaceful tropical paradise where the rich played and lucky military personnel enjoyed their island duty! After coming over on the PanAm Clippers, Inter-Island airways of Hawaii mainly handled air transportation for the wealthy vacationers. Included in this package are a Sikorsky S43 amphibian in Inter-Island colors, an S43 in PanAm colors, two Kellet autogyros and three Ford panel trucks to explore the local scenery! Also included is complete replacement scenery that portrays the islands as they did in the mid to late 1930s! This scenery is activated by a special program that allows you to choose between flying in either modern or golden age Hawaii. You can play the role of Air Line Captain with your own flight crew to fly the various scheduled and special flights for Inter-Island Airways or you can be the star flying reporter for a Honolulu newspaper with your Kellet Autogyro! There are 19 exciting and challenging flights to get you started and you'll have hours of fun in your new golden age flying career! By Lynn and Bill Lyons also if you like heavy metal flying boats you are sure to enjoy the Sikorsky VS-44 as used during World War 2, on American Export Lines services from New York to Foynes on Ireland's Shannon estuary.http://fsx.fsdownload.com/content/view/210/2/Best and Warm RegardsAdrian Wainer

Guest Gander

Many thanks for the comments and link, Adrian! My father was with American Export (American Overseas Airlines) in Keflavik, Stockholm, and Gander during 1942-50 until Pan Am bought AOA and transferred him to Beirut. Although his involvement was mostly with land planes he knew the flying boat guys who operated out of Foynes before Shannon Airport was built. So I'm looking forward to operating both the Boeings and Sikorskys on that route.For the total, incomparable "romance-of-flying's-golden-age" thing, though, I think the Pacific service must be in a class of its own. The Atlantic routes were a business for making money; the Pacific routes were the earth's most gigantic and breathtaking "film set" for making history, myth, and legend. Before my time, I'm sorry to say, but the scenery you suggested will be perfect to recapture it.Thanks a million for all the very generous help!