Sign in to follow this  
guy

Fs9/vista Problem

Hi all, I have installed FS9 on a Vista system and have one small problem remaining. In full screen mode when I do 'Alt' or 'F10' , there is first a black screen before the menu bar or the FS flightplan appears. This problem does not exist in windowed mode. Is there something one can do about this? PS: "Disable desktop composition" is already set. Thanks in advance. Guy

Guest gopatriots
Hi all, I have installed FS9 on a Vista system and have one small problem remaining. In full screen mode when I do 'Alt' or 'F10' , there is first a black screen before the menu bar or the FS flightplan appears. This problem does not exist in windowed mode. Is there something one can do about this? PS: "Disable desktop composition" is already set. Thanks in advance. Guy
Guy,I have also found this problem. Also, I have found that if in full mode, and I click "alt," and then any installed module (FSUIPC e.g.,) I cannot see the interface unless I press alt-enter; I simply see a black square. It is rather annoying.

[Hi Guy.Post more info on your System, Video CPU etc.Try to run it in Administrator, set Properties: XP compat. mode, Disable Visual themes, Disable Display scaling, Give yourself / MSFS full access in the Security tab Disable UAC, try these combos one at the time and see what you need / want to keep. TV

Sounds like some kind of video driver issue. Definitely run Vista in the Classic (i.e. no) theme. It's not unusual to see a black screen when switching between full screen and windowed mode (which is what you are doing (essentially) when you bring up the menu), so a quick black screen is OK.Hope this helps,

Thanks for the answers.Tom, I like the old prop-liners and your Calclassic site.One more question: does anybody here run Fs9 on Vista WITHOUT this problem (black screen in full-screen mode)?Guy

Guest Martirob

I was having the same problems you describe which surfaced when I bought a new vista 32 system a couple of months ago which came with a good NVidia card. Unfortunately, on my system I was getting the same issues which you describe when using FS9. After looking for a solution for several weeks, a friend suggested I try an ATI card which he had on hand. For me that solved the problem. In my case the combination of Nvidia, drivers, Vista and fs9 did not get along very well in full screen mode.Martiro

In my case I see what was displayed before FS9 (menu, settings screen, desktop, whatever) instead of a black square, and it takes some annoying 3-5 seconds. That' s frustating when you right-click in the wrong place :(. And yes, it only happens in my laptop (Nvidia 8400M GS, FS9, Vista Home Premium 32-bit).Running as Administrator, using compatibility mode, disabling desktop composition and even disabling UAC does nothing. Only going to windowed mode does something... but it also causes me a loss of FPS (down to 22 from stable and locked 30). Using XP (in my desktop), no problem, even with an integrated card. Vista and an Intel IGP, the same problem. Why ATI doesn't have that problem, good question. Are there any modified drivers for Nvidia like the Omega drivers used with ATI cards?Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I have an Nvidia 8600GT with the latest drivers, Vista Premium 64 and none of the problems you describe.

Thanks for the answers.My new computer is a Core 2 Quad 8200, with Vista premium 32 and a Nvidia 9600 GT card.On my old XP system I didn't have this little problem neither.If I sum up what has been said until now, the problem seems to exist only with Vista 32 and an Nvidia graphic card! (or perhaps only certain Nvidia cards)I saw now also that it is not always a black screen that appears but a screen that was displayed before (like Luis Miguel already said). On my machine it's almost instantaneous (less then a second).Btw the intermediate screen also appears when you select a new aircraft!I played around a bit and then found out that it was the COPY buffer that appears!That gave me the idea to do a 'PRINT SCREEN' just before F10 (or Alt). And effectively the intermediate screen still appears, but because it is the same one, I don't (almost) notice.Try yourself, you will see.For me, this could be a way-around solution, if nobody else has a better one to propose.Guy

I have the same problem. It stopped happening when I changed the Theme from Vista to Windows Classic. The menus look like old Windows 95 but I have tried and tried to duplicate the problem and so far it hasn't come back. This computer is a FS only computer but my old computer has a dual boot setup with XP and Vista. I tried FS9 on both and it works fine in XP and has the problem in Vista with the exact same hardware. I should mention the FS computer has a nvidia 8600GTS and the other one with the dual boot setup has two nvidia 8800GTS cards.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg