Sign in to follow this  
Guest JNS

Nick, Defrag Question

Guest JNS

Hi, Nick. I've got a defrag question here. I'm running O&O v8.6 and I have a virgin system here (only Vista 64 Premium and necessary drivers installed) and am planning on following all of your setup instructions. I have three 500G drives. I'm putting FSX on one drive [D] with whatever add-ons should be included with it. Another drive [C] will be for the system and misc. software and the third drive [E] is for backups. I assume I should go ahead and install on C all of the utility (i.e. RealTemp, CPU-Z, etc.) and FSX add-ons {except UTX which will go on D with FSX) software that I currently have before doing the first NAME defrag you mention. My question is then should I do another NAME defrag after each installation of software (all FSX-related) that is still on its way to me? I'm thinking "yes", but hoping "no".Thanks,Jeff

Guest Nick_N
Hi, Nick. I've got a defrag question here. I'm running O&O v8.6 and I have a virgin system here (only Vista 64 Premium and necessary drivers installed) and am planning on following all of your setup instructions. I have three 500G drives. I'm putting FSX on one drive [D] with whatever add-ons should be included with it. Another drive [C] will be for the system and misc. software and the third drive [E] is for backups. I assume I should go ahead and install on C all of the utility (i.e. RealTemp, CPU-Z, etc.) and FSX add-ons {except UTX which will go on D with FSX) software that I currently have before doing the first NAME defrag you mention. My question is then should I do another NAME defrag after each installation of software (all FSX-related) that is still on its way to me? I'm thinking "yes", but hoping "no".Thanks,Jeff
No JeffInstall everything.... everything and make any patch installs, changes.. etc for everything firstDont worry about perf just install and get everything you need for the OS, software, FSX, addons, all installed... including Nhancer and drivers... everythingand I even try to go ahead and do startup cleanup after everything is installed... try and get rid of ;start with windows items' not needed like real player, MS messenger, acrobat.. what ever installed that does not need to boot with windows and can be manually launched if needed.THEN run down the listwhen you get to the defrag part you must do the OS drive following all steps and then the FSX drive following all stepsdefrag is the absolute last operation performedand dont not do anything while the defrag is running... not even check email..and do not ignore the 'reboot' directions... very important to reboot between passesonce the long first defrag maintenance is done its much quicker in the future to keep up with it

Guest JNS
No JeffInstall everything.... everything and make any patch installs, changes.. etc for everything firstDont worry about perf just install and get everything you need for the OS, software, FSX, addons, all installed... including Nhancer and drivers... everythingand I even try to go ahead and do startup cleanup after everything is installed... try and get rid of ;start with windows items' not needed like real player, MS messenger, acrobat.. what ever installed that does not need to boot with windows and can be manually launched if needed.THEN run down the listwhen you get to the defrag part you must do the OS drive following all steps and then the FSX drive following all stepsdefrag is the absolute last operation performedand dont not do anything while the defrag is running... not even check email..and do not ignore the 'reboot' directions... very important to reboot between passesonce the long first defrag maintenance is done its much quicker in the future to keep up with it
Thanks, Nick for the very fast reply. I think I may not have made myself clear. I plan on doing everything you said in your reply. What I was asking was if I, say, a week later add new software do I then need to do another NAME defrag at that time?Jeff

Guest Nick_N
Thanks, Nick for the very fast reply. I think I may not have made myself clear. I plan on doing everything you said in your reply. What I was asking was if I, say, a week later add new software do I then need to do another NAME defrag at that time?Jeff
Sorry Jeff.. you may have been clear and I am doing forum 'hit and runs' OK... if you install something next week it depends on the size... if we are talking about a single aircraft (small) then a SPACE defrag will be fine till next month.. if is a huge install like UTX or PMDG then you need to run at minimum 1 complete\name defrag since the FSX drive is on its own your time keeping it clean will be MUCH less which is one of the great advantages to the 2nd drive for FSX... no OS, temp files, and other software to bugger it up on a daily basispretty much remains defraged all the time until you add or subract somethingIf you are using programs that feed all sorts of textures to FSX... REX FEX thats also a SPACE deal..

Guest JNS
Sorry Jeff.. you may have been clear and I am doing forum 'hit and runs' OK... if you install something next week it depends on the size... if we are talking about a single aircraft (small) then a SPACE defrag will be fine till next month.. if is a huge install like UTX or PMDG then you need to run at minimum 1 complete\name defrag since the FSX drive is on its own your time keeping it clean will be MUCH less which is one of the great advantages to the 2nd drive for FSX... no OS, temp files, and other software to bugger it up on a daily basispretty much remains defraged all the time until you add or subract somethingIf you are using programs that feed all sorts of textures to FSX... REX FEX thats also a SPACE deal..
Great, got it. ThanksJeff