Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tozzifan

Sliding Sideways On Takeoffs/landings

Guest Tozzifan

hello,on takeoffs and landings it's impossible for me to keep ANY stock FSX aircraft straight and steady; I have to struggle a lot with my Saitek rudder to achieve decent results (a few times I ended almost off the runway)- I thought that it was a propeller aircrafts physical feature, yet it happens with heavy airliners too- I thought that it was a realism issue, yet setting realism sliders to naught won't change anything- even unplugging the rudder does not avoid sliding on runways (yet my rudder is perfectly centered and in all my older flight sims - Falcon4, Fa18, WingsOverVietnam, jf15, Comanche/Hokum - it behaves perfectly: dead zones are correctly set)I am not a real pilot, so I don't know whether in real life a real pilot has to work with rudders this way (what I know is that a friend of mine in FS9 takes offs and lands without this rudder-struggling :( ) so I'm short of ideas and I have to ask for any helpthanks

What kind of weather are you using? If you're using real-world or any kind of weather with wind, it'll make your plane drift. Try using the Clear All Weather theme and let me know if that solved it.If you go into the aircraft.cfg of the airplane, find the line:yaw_damper_gain=xMake sure "x" is 1. Then hit Ctrl+D to enable the Yaw Damper. The A/P will do its best to counteract the yawing by applying opposite rudder. I find this a little helpful.Good Luck!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

hello,on takeoffs and landings it's impossible for me to keep ANY stock FSX aircraft straight and steady; I have to struggle a lot with my Saitek rudder to achieve decent results (a few times I ended almost off the runway)- I thought that it was a propeller aircrafts physical feature, yet it happens with heavy airliners too- I thought that it was a realism issue, yet setting realism sliders to naught won't change anything- even unplugging the rudder does not avoid sliding on runways (yet my rudder is perfectly centered and in all my older flight sims - Falcon4, Fa18, WingsOverVietnam, jf15, Comanche/Hokum - it behaves perfectly: dead zones are correctly set)I am not a real pilot, so I don't know whether in real life a real pilot has to work with rudders this way (what I know is that a friend of mine in FS9 takes offs and lands without this rudder-struggling :( ) so I'm short of ideas and I have to ask for any helpthanks
You need to be using proper aileron position in addition to the rudders to compensate for the winds which are rarely directly down the runway.Try googling "cross wind takeoffs"-lots of good stuff out there.By the way it isn't just you-check the link below! :( http://www.copanational.org/non-members/sa...etyCCJuly04.htm

In addition to what others have said, there is also the issue that ground handling physics during crosswinds are not handled very well in the MSFS series. The issue does seem to have gotten somewhat better in FSX, but there is still often noticeable "sliding," as if you have to partially maintain the crab angle on takeoff or rollout. There was a thread on here a year or two ago about this. Forget the title of it, but someone compared it to having runways that are like ice-skating rinks.

In addition to what others have said, there is also the issue that ground handling physics during crosswinds are not handled very well in the MSFS series. The issue does seem to have gotten somewhat better in FSX, but there is still often noticeable "sliding," as if you have to partially maintain the crab angle on takeoff or rollout. There was a thread on here a year or two ago about this. Forget the title of it, but someone compared it to having runways that are like ice-skating rinks.
Could it have been this fairly recent one? (which itself contains one or two links):http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=66785&hl=

TozzifanCheck for duplicate axis assignments by FSX in the keyboard, mouse and pedals - it happens all the time.Set the sensitivity full right and null zone full left, and recalibrate in Windows.That should helpRegards :( PeterH

Guest Tozzifan

thank you a lot for your fast support, people! :( (and sorry for the delay in my reply, work did not allow me to check this forum until now), and for all the useful suggestions.......I'm still experimenting, yet I have had a huge improvement by removing doubled keys/buttons assignments, particularly I found that by default there were aileron controls assigned to rudders .......... :( !?(using real world weather) I'm still getting a tiny sideways drift (even on heavy airliners...BTW: my HOTAS Cougar is perfectly centered), yet there is no more a "struggle" to stay on the runways, but I'd call it more likely a "correction" (sometimes needing to be helped by aileron action in propellers), that you confirmed is needed in real life too