Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

Nvidia 178.24 Drivers

Hi Folks,Tell me I'm dreaming. Tell me I ain't right. Last night I got in the tweaking mood again. Just can't stop. I told myself two weeks ago after last reinstall of both FS9 and FSX I would stop. Maybe I'll make it my resolution this New Year. Anyways, I updated my video driver from (nVidia) 175.19 to 178.24. I then flew FSX on FSEconomy for an out and back and I swear that it ran better. I then went to settings and popped the FPS slider to unlimited. They were 30s and even some 40s. That is practically double the teens and low 20s I was getting before. I flew the return trip in FS9 and it was doing about 60 avg. (I saw a couple 80s!) on unlimited. I was always locked at 30 before so I don't really know how high it went. I would say nVidia's drivers are getting better finally.Oh, my system is a Dell XPS 420 Q6600 3GB 8600GTS.Dolph

180.84's are looking to be even better in FSX...
I'd like to try them. Thanks, picking 'em up now. Read that the nVidea site download don't work so went to guru3D.

www.guru3D.com is by far the best place to pick GPU drivers. All (including beta's) have specific forums so you can see what other folk are experiencing before you install yourself. While you're at guru3d pick up Riva Tuner as well...Check out Nick's post about the 180.48's here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=28555

Konrad

Guest MOC

At this point, Im willing to try just about anything. I just built a new PC because my old one was constantly crashing after random duration of flight. So imagine how bummed I was when I got the new system up and running, fully updated (SP3) and FSX with Accelleration loaded and then - crash. And its not like a crash to desktop - my monitor turns to "off" mode and whatever audio that was playing gets stuck in a loop. Very un-cool.So hey - lets try a new driver! Im about 10 seconds from getting a new card, so maybe this will save me $200!

Guest djt01
At this point, Im willing to try just about anything. I just built a new PC because my old one was constantly crashing after random duration of flight. So imagine how bummed I was when I got the new system up and running, fully updated (SP3) and FSX with Accelleration loaded and then - crash. And its not like a crash to desktop - my monitor turns to "off" mode and whatever audio that was playing gets stuck in a loop. Very un-cool.So hey - lets try a new driver! Im about 10 seconds from getting a new card, so maybe this will save me $200!
I don

Guest djt01
Well, I gave the new driver the ole' college try, but to no avail... im in the same state of frustration as I was previously.I think I must have a bad card or HDD.... I just built this machine, and the only things that carried over from the old PC are the GeForce 9600GT and a pair of WD Raptor drives, but Im still having the same issues. I was just flying, every setting cranked, and still getting 20 - 25 FPS with it set to unlimited. Then, without any input from me, the monitor goes black and flashes the DIGITAL/ANALOG screen such as when its unplugged, and my PC just sits. During that time, my CPU never got above 40 deg C, but I dont know that the GPU isnt cooking in there. Its onboard fan is fully functional, in fact I did the 3DMark06 test and did fairly well (11354 i think?). Im guessing its the video card... must be something wrong with it.
How are you installing the drivers? What is the condition of the OS?My problem free experience with these drivers has been via a clean install on a fresh OS.
Im not seeing any other issues like this in any other forums. But got now, it looks like Im goin shopin for an ATI!Any recomendations?
I

MOCMy experience with the 180.48 and the 180.84 drivers has been like yours. They run great,( good 3dmark scores, and can run fps unlimited without studders) but after a few hours the screen goes black. I have had to go back to 178.24 or older. This is on a clean install. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I reverted back to the 178.24 for now. I tried the beta 180s and the framerate dropped a little on my system. I also have noticed that the 178's present the outside views immediately now rather than popping in the details like my old drivers did. It's like they use the video ram better or something. My 8600GTS seems to perform more like my friend's 8800GT now. I said "seems" because I think I'm wishing...Dolph

Guest jjmuzz

The 180.48 driver completely corruped my computer - unbelievable disaster. See my post in the FSX forum

I reverted back to the 178.24 for now. I tried the beta 180s and the framerate dropped a little on my system. I also have noticed that the 178's present the outside views immediately now rather than popping in the details like my old drivers did. It's like they use the video ram better or something. My 8600GTS seems to perform more like my friend's 8800GT now. I said "seems" because I think I'm wishing...Dolph

The 180.48 driver completely corruped my computer - unbelievable disaster. See my post in the FSX forum
What corrupted your computer was most likely a failed driver install process, as opposed to the drivers themselves. I, and many others, have been using 180.48's since they came out without a single issue. In fact the 180'48's are getting some decent comments from various FSX users.More specific info on installing Forceware correctly is available here: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html

Konrad