Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

Can't Download Since Micro$oft Update 12-17

My PC was updated this evening with the Emergency Update to Windows. Now, I can't download from IE7 or Safari. When I try to download on IE7, nothing happens -- not even the Pop-Up Blocked Yellow Bar. I tried using Safari and received this Warning: "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file. Name: Saf87.tmp. When I've tried to download using Safari, the blocked file is a SafXX.tmp that is blocked. There is no obvious way to tell WINDOWS that this file is OK. I'm about to tear out what remains of my hair....... Anyone else have this problem?????

Quick update: My security settings had been changed where Downloads Disabled. I changed it to Accept and have been able to download using IE7. Safari still gives me the Blocked Access notice. ?

Quick update: My security settings had been changed where Downloads Disabled. I changed it to Accept and have been able to download using IE7. Safari still gives me the Blocked Access notice. ?
Using the most recent release of Safari (3.2.1), and without changing any settings for it, I just successfully downloaded without an issue. I suspect you have a user setting that needs to be changed to allow Safari to download from AVSIM. Just a personal note here; I really do not like what Apple has done in Safari as far as interpreting HTML. They really haven't advanced the state of the art with this browser and in fact, in some ways (HTML color interpretation as an example) taken a big step back, reminding me of the early Netscapes and IE.

Tom, I eventually went to the Control Panel and reset my Security settings to Medium but still couldn't download from either IE7 or Safari. I then set my Internet Settings to Custom and enabled most everything that didn't cause a Warning (Net Framework, Java, Active X - download w/prompt, Downloads, etc.).This allows me to download from the Avsim Library in IE7 but still did not in Safari. This inspired me to Delete Safari. Other than the Avsim download issue, I thought Safari was pretty good for the limited time I used it. I think I will also try Firefox. Thanks for getting back. Have a Happy New Year!

Tom, I eventually went to the Control Panel and reset my Security settings to Medium but still couldn't download from either IE7 or Safari. I then set my Internet Settings to Custom and enabled most everything that didn't cause a Warning (Net Framework, Java, Active X - download w/prompt, Downloads, etc.).This allows me to download from the Avsim Library in IE7 but still did not in Safari. This inspired me to Delete Safari. Other than the Avsim download issue, I thought Safari was pretty good for the limited time I used it. I think I will also try Firefox. Thanks for getting back. Have a Happy New Year!
I use FireFox as my predominant browser on the forums as it is much faster than IE. There seems to be a great deal of interpretive work that IE does, slowing it down, that FF doesn't seem to have to do.

I use FireFox as my predominant browser on the forums as it is much faster than IE. There seems to be a great deal of interpretive work that IE does, slowing it down, that FF doesn't seem to have to do.
For what it's worth I've had a similar problem d/l new items from the library in Avsim using IE with no luck---kept getting "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".Taking Tom's advice I installed FireFox and use it with AVSIM for d/l'ing without a problem.I've screwed around with all the "tools" entries and gave up. So now I have the best of both worlds ---use Firefox for Avsim and IE for the rest of the world.Gary