Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

Need Your Opinion/advise: 1680 X 1050?

Hi,I'm considering to buy a 22" TFT with a resolution of 1680*1050.Since I fly solely in 2D this imposes a problem with a lot (if not all) of panels (stretching etc).How do you cope with this? Flying VC is not an option, I just don't like that.Those of you flying in 1680 resolution, have you edited all your panel bitmaps including panel.cfg's,and added about 400px extra in size adding some more gauges from the center/co-pilots cockpit space?Egbert

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest RonB49
Hi,I'm considering to buy a 22" TFT with a resolution of 1680*1050.Since I fly solely in 2D this imposes a problem with a lot (if not all) of panels (stretching etc).How do you cope with this? Flying VC is not an option, I just don't like that.Those of you flying in 1680 resolution, have you edited all your panel bitmaps including panel.cfg's,and added about 400px extra in size adding some more gauges from the center/co-pilots cockpit space?Egbert
Hi Egbert,I do not have a wide screen monitor but if I did, I'd do exactly what you say. I would edit those bitmaps and take advantage of that new panel real estate. I like to get everything that I need on one panel. I dislike pop-ups. R-

Hi Egbert,I do not have a wide screen monitor but if I did, I'd do exactly what you say. I would edit those bitmaps and take advantage of that new panel real estate. I like to get everything that I need on one panel. I dislike pop-ups. R-
I checked a few panels, but some have the panel background contained in the gauge file like the MD2006 and FT737.As far as I know, there no way to extend those panels or is there?Is there no one actually using these panels in 1680*1050?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Hi Egbert,I have a 20" wide-screen and I use 1680x1050 resolution settings and everything looks perfect. If you do not like what you see you can always reset the resolution to 1280 etc.Barry

Guest TheAviator

I have a LG 22" and use 1680x1050 resolution with no problems. I have used it on both FS9 and FSX aircraft. Looks great!

Love my 22 inch wide, 2D panels get strecthed a bit but you get used to it....

---------If i'm reading your query correctly- here's how I would set up a wide screen mon. Just drag the 2D panel to the left so gauges/instruments are correctly proportioned- then fill in the blank area with popups as in this screenie. Very handy to have the lower EICAS & switch panel avail all the time! The CDU could also be placed there and overlayed on the EICAS!(This pic was an experiment using a 4:3 monitor - black areas are unused portions of my triple mon setup. I think the wide mon quite enhances the panel appearance!)Alex Reid

Hi all,Thanks for your replies.I guess the stretching I was afraid of is not that bad after all.Alternatively I can extend the panel bitmaps if necessary (for panels with dominantly round analogue gauges perhaps)

Guest Astradan

Another 22" 1680x1050 user here - no issues at all. Some devs (like Eaglesoft) DO release panels for these types of WS monitors. Those that don't you can either stretch them as in 'january's' excellent PMDG747 example screeny, or else just live with it - they don't look too bad a bit stretched!

22" ACER wide screen here. 1680 * 1050. In fact I have two of them side by each. Everything looks perfect.Every panel looks perfect. MADDOG, RFP and all the regular ones.JimCYWG

Egbert, I'm also partial to 2D panels for airliners, and I don't even notice the slight stretching of the panels on my 22" monitor any longer. Like you, I was concerned about the issue before I bought my first widescreen panel, but now it's completely transparent to me. Round gauges do look slightly ovoid, but the effect is really no different than looking at them from a slight angle - no big deal. I fly the Maddog 2006, DA Fokker, RFP 742, PMDG and Tinmouse 737's in 2D mode, and don't have a noticeable problem with any of them.

John G.

Hi all,This morning I took the plunch (? English) and now I'm the happy owner of a 22" 1680x1050 widescreen monitor.I bought the Samsung Syncmaster T220. In the shop the screen looked the best.Of course the first thing I did was starting FS and indeed the stretching is not an issue.Obviously it does stretch a bit, but after a minute you are used to it.So thank you all for letting me fork out 230 euri's today as if live isn't expensive enough already. Much appreciated... :( Egbert

We have all been a victim, or should I say our bank accounts, of this affliction called flight simulator :( Now, that monitor will really rock in the VC :(