Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Yoke Sensitivity Ssettings

I have CH yoke and am trying to figure out the best/realistic sensitvity settings for GA aircraft.I have registered FSUIPC.I have experimented with FS control/options sens. and null and have them set low sensitivity and half null.Seems OK but would appreciate any advice.Can I use FSUIPC?If so what settings and how?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I think it all depends on personal taste. The default aircraft are either too sensitive (Cessna 172) or too rigid (Boeing), but the payware with good FDEs are usually really the right mix of sensitivity. The problem is, the sim is not a representation of what you have in the real world. You can bank in a small plane pretty fast in the real world, but in the sim, no matter what sensitivity you set, it'll kinda roll into the bank more slowly. Plus, you lack the feedback of being in a plane, so that creates a huge problem with controlling. In the sim, if you set the sensitivity too low, you're reducing the amount of actual control you have, so leaving it high is the best bet. I find it's much easier to correct on an ILS for example with a fairly sensitive yoke than a sluggish one. Also, one problem I've noticed is different controllers feel different, probably depending on drivers. My old MS sidewinder was real sensitive and difficult at best to use, but the CH yoke I have feels perfect, IMO.FSUIPC works best, but I think it requires the registered version. I use the registered version in FS9.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Agree with everything Chris said above.One other thing to check...during your calibration of the yoke, check the box that shows you the "raw data" input numbers. If those numbers are "jumping around" a little when your yoke is centered (they are called "spikes"), then you will experience random inputs from the yoke (or joystick, or whatever you may be using) when it is centered. In this case, you want to adjust the Null Zone for the center of the controller big enough to eliminate those "spikes". Try to get the Null Zone no bigger than needed to eliminate them. Then your controller won't be "spiking" on you (sending unwanted inputs when it is centered and you aren't moving it), but also won't require unrealistically large movements to initiate a turn, climb, or descent input.Many times you won't even know you are getting those "spikes" unless you watch the "raw number" input while calibrating the controller.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Agree with everything Chris said above.One other thing to check...during your calibration of the yoke, check the box that shows you the "raw data" input numbers. If those numbers are "jumping around" a little when your yoke is centered (they are called "spikes"), then you will experience random inputs from the yoke (or joystick, or whatever you may be using) when it is centered. In this case, you want to adjust the Null Zone for the center of the controller big enough to eliminate those "spikes". Try to get the Null Zone no bigger than needed to eliminate them. Then your controller won't be "spiking" on you (sending unwanted inputs when it is centered and you aren't moving it), but also won't require unrealistically large movements to initiate a turn, climb, or descent input.Many times you won't even know you are getting those "spikes" unless you watch the "raw number" input while calibrating the controller.FalconAF
Thanks for that.Are you talking about using FSUIPC or just the FSX calibrator?FSUIPC calibration looks complicated.I guess I should read that part of the instructions.Thanks,Ron

I use both FSUIPC and the FSX or FS9 settings for adjustment. The window calibration is all set to max sensitivity and no nulls. I never really messed with the windows manager for these settings because everyone likes the FSUIPC module best. You can experiment with all of them though, it won't hurt anything. The tough part is how long it sometimes takes to get the right feel. BTW, the FSUIPC module is very easy to adjust. I was confused at first myself, but now that I understand it, it's like walking - you'll never understand how you had to learn it because it's so easy. As I stated, I really don't have time or money to play with FSX, so I haven't bought anything for it, but I assume it's the same or very similar to the FS9 version of FSUIPC.Here's some screen shots of how I have it set up in FS9 and FSX:sh01qy0.jpgsh02il8.jpgsh03oh9.jpgsh04nd1.jpgI really haven't had a lot of time to play with FSX (5-10 hours), so these are my current settings, although they need to be fine tuned. For default aircraft, since that's all I have, FSX must be more sensitive since this is where I have them, but again, I need to play around more.My FS9 flying time is all payware (PMDG, Level-D, Dreamfleet, ect...), so that's my current settings there with FSUIPC. Sensitivity is much higher, but they're tuned for payware, which feel different than default planes. Also, the FSUIPC setting are just what I needed. I never felt I needed to mess with the ailerons or elevator, just brakes, rudder, throttle, mixture, and prop.For FSUIPC, shown here, to process the axis, move the axis and watch for the numbers to indicate minus or positive. Once they start giving a value, they're being recognized by FSUIPC. Place them above the bottom unit, maybe -16900 being bottom, so you'd move it up to -16100 or so and press set. That'll lock in that value for the axis in one direction. Then move it the other way and do the same. Trial and error and you'll see what I mean. You can't hurt anything. Just press reset and it all clears back to default, so don't be afraid to play around.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Thanks,I have it set now thru FSUIPC.Read the instructions and realized that I had not assigne the controls in FSUIPC,only calibrated them.After assigning them and then calibrating they work great.FYI,in the instructions Pete says to set sensitivity all the way to right and null all the way left in FSX calibration.Thanks,Ron

I use both FSUIPC and the FSX or FS9 settings for adjustment. The window calibration is all set to max sensitivity and no nulls. I never really messed with the windows manager for these settings because everyone likes the FSUIPC module best. You can experiment with all of them though, it won't hurt anything. The tough part is how long it sometimes takes to get the right feel. BTW, the FSUIPC module is very easy to adjust. I was confused at first myself, but now that I understand it, it's like walking - you'll never understand how you had to learn it because it's so easy. As I stated, I really don't have time or money to play with FSX, so I haven't bought anything for it, but I assume it's the same or very similar to the FS9 version of FSUIPC.Here's some screen shots of how I have it set up in FS9 and FSX:sh01qy0.jpgsh02il8.jpgsh03oh9.jpgsh04nd1.jpgI really haven't had a lot of time to play with FSX (5-10 hours), so these are my current settings, although they need to be fine tuned. For default aircraft, since that's all I have, FSX must be more sensitive since this is where I have them, but again, I need to play around more.My FS9 flying time is all payware (PMDG, Level-D, Dreamfleet, ect...), so that's my current settings there with FSUIPC. Sensitivity is much higher, but they're tuned for payware, which feel different than default planes. Also, the FSUIPC setting are just what I needed. I never felt I needed to mess with the ailerons or elevator, just brakes, rudder, throttle, mixture, and prop.For FSUIPC, shown here, to process the axis, move the axis and watch for the numbers to indicate minus or positive. Once they start giving a value, they're being recognized by FSUIPC. Place them above the bottom unit, maybe -16900 being bottom, so you'd move it up to -16100 or so and press set. That'll lock in that value for the axis in one direction. Then move it the other way and do the same. Trial and error and you'll see what I mean. You can't hurt anything. Just press reset and it all clears back to default, so don't be afraid to play around.